CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
BigWhiteBus
Level 4: Private Eye

Bigpond email on Outlook

Answered
When I got my new Windows 8 laptop I found mail didn't work. I found out why and had my mail migrated to Outlook. I can get my mail via webmail but unable to make the Win 8 or my IPad work. On trying to create a New Account on the IPad I used Outlook and put in my bigpond address and password but got the message "unable to verify account information". Get much the same result on the Win 8 . Got the irrits with the whole lot of it. Windows 8 is bad enough without the known things turning bad as well. Help before I throw it all in the bin.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond email on Outlook

Can you try logging into http://outlook.com, going to One Drive and see if it offers you Terms and Conditions that you can accept?

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
18 REPLIES 18
Level 23: Superhero

I set up a windows 8 laptop for the grandson a few weeks ago and know exactly where you are coming from. Whilst it's running windows 8.1 now, when you turn it on and navigate, you'd think it was windows 7. Even the proper start and shutdown settings are the same as windows 7. 

Anyway take a look at the following and the other links contain on the page and see if any of that helps. 

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Problems-with-sending-or-receiv...

Sig 2

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
BigWhiteBus

Read the post but meet all the criteria re: password and haven't had a chance to set up the mail on my IPad. Not spam. Appreciate the response.
BigWhiteBus

Spent over an hour on the phone last night with a Consultant and she went through all the things I have been through without success. She was going to pass it on to someone else to reset the server or something and they would then contact me. Nothing yet so do I just get back on the treadmill again and get another consultant who can go through the same things over and over again and still not resolve anything. HELP
BigWhiteBus

Just spent another hour and a half on the phone with several consultants. The upshot was that using settings that don't appear on any website I have looked at for Outlook .com he made it work but only on my old 2007 Outlook. He then told me that my bigpond.com address won't work on Win 8 mail. That was all I wanted to do in the first place and the migration appears to have been in vain. I tried creating an account in Win 8 mail using the settings he gave me and it still didn't work. What is the go Telstra/ Bigpond ??. I just find myself getting crankier the more I deal with you.
Level 23: Superhero

If your current emal is a POP account you WON'T be able to get the pop account to work with windows 8 or 8.1. Now that's not a Telstra thing that's a Microsoft thing.

Using email accounts over POP on Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1

The Mail app, which comes with Windows 8.1 and Windows RT 8.1, doesn't support adding email accounts that use POP (Post Office Protocol). This is the technology that allows email to be downloaded from the server to your PC. If your email account uses POP and you want to get it on your PC, here are some options:

• If you want to use the Mail app and keep your current account, contact your email provider and ask if they can change your account to use IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or EAS (Exchange ActiveSync). This change is especially useful if you want to get to your email in multiple ways (phone, personal PC, work PC, etc.), as those protocols do better than POP at keeping track of new, unread, and deleted messages and automatically saving your messages. Some providers might charge extra to switch, so make sure you check before switching.

You can send and receive email from POP accounts using Outlook which is free as part of Windows RT 8.1.

If you want to use the Mail app and are willing to switch to a new email account, you can stop using your previous account and start using a web-based email account like Outlook.com, or Yahoo!. If messages from your original account are saved on your PC and you want to get to them in the new account, you can sign up for an Outlook.com account and then use the Mail Migration add-on to add them. Once you’ve moved to the new web-based account, you can add that account to the Mail app.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows-8/pop-email-accounts

You have to use the IMAP settings ....

https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

Sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
BigWhiteBus

I thought that was what the migration was all about and getting us on to outlook.com.
BigWhiteBus

I followed the links you put up and went and checked what my email type is and it says IMAP. The last consultant I spoke to couldn't get it to work with IMAP settings and when he put pop3.live.com settings in it worked. What is going on???
BigWhiteBus

Even with the new settings my IPad can't send or receive. The plot thickens.
chrodo
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

I down loaded windows live mail and use that for my e-mails , you also have to install some background programs that are in windows 7 , but there is a how to do on the microsoft page, It saved me all the hasle that you are know going throu and live mail easly alows you to have more than a thew e-mail accounts running throu it.

BigWhiteBus

Thanks for your reply. The point with all this is that Telstra have a problem whether it was caused by Microsoft or not and you shouldn't need to do work arounds to get your mail to work. I just want my Win 8 mail to work with my bigpond.com mail without any more hassles. I would just like someone from Telstra Crowdsupport to make a comment here, they have been very quiet on this matter.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BigWhiteBus,

Are you able to use these emails on another device, or is the issue universal across all devices?

The mail program that comes with Windows 8 does limit you to using only the IMAP configuration. Customers also have the option of downloading any other free email program and configuring it with your BigPond mailbox. Those email programs typically support POP and IMAP configurations.

You can find the following link from Outlook.com with steps on how to configure various email programs. The settings for your BigPond account will be identical except for the BigPond email address and password being used. 

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/outlook/send-receive-from-app

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

BigWhiteBus

Thanks for your reply. I can get my outlook mail working using pop3.live .com although when I checked my email type it tells me I have IMAP but I can't get that to work on Outlook, Win 8 mail or my IPad. Using Webmail works. I have tried all the different setups but nothing works. I have spent over 2 hours on the phone with various consultants and they can't make it work in IMAP and in effect went over the same setups that I had already gone through which I found very frustrating. I really don't believe that I should have to create a work around to make my mail work. I did the migration to Outlook.com so it should work unless Telstra has a problem.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Can you try logging into http://outlook.com, going to One Drive and see if it offers you Terms and Conditions that you can accept?

- Shelly

View solution in original post

BigWhiteBus

Thanks Shelly, took a while but I found a login for One Drive and when I signed in I was faced with a Terms and Conditions acceptance box which I accepted. I then went to my Ipad and created an account using the wizard without any hassle. Opened my laptop and created a new account on Win 8.1 using the wizard and it worked straight away. It was accepting  the terms and conditions that was missing all along. Thanks again, solved.

avitus-au
Level 1: Cadet

Am unable to access my email thru outlook on my laptop but can do so on my tablet. Laptop bigpond screen opens with my user name and password, neither are supposed to come up automatically. Bigpond rejects password showing as incorrect. Any clues?

Thanks,

avitus-au

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi avitus-au,

I suspect that you may have incorrect or outdated settings configured for your BigPond mailbox, and it pops up because it has failed to authenticate.  

You can find the current mail server settings by logging in here: http://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.do or using the table on the following link: https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

- Shelly

musketeer

thanks shelly but that didnt work ,it says that it doesnt support my email settings

@Shelly_Telstra wrote:

- Shelly

Greybeard412016

I am not an employee of Telstra/Bigpond I am at most times a very satisfied customer, I have been with Bigpond for yonks and would not change servers, I have gone from XP to Vista to Windows 7 and now Windows 10 and have taken my Microsoft Outlook 2007 with me and have just made the change to the new Telstra Mail Service with no problems and found the Telstra Team here and overseas very helpful but must admit I gave Windows 8 a big miss, now enjoying once again good service from the Tesltra Team, emails come and go just as they always have.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now