Highlighted
1unhappychappy
Level 2: Rookie

Bigpond email settings for Apple Mail DO NOT WORK in El Capitan. Please HELP.

Answered

Hello. Brand new Apple computer running El Capitan. Currently unable to retrieve bigpond email (wont connect to incoming server mail.bigpond.com).

I am using Apple's MAIL program  - Version 9.1 (3096.5) that came bundled with the Mac. 

Had a Telstra person set it up via remote (i.e he did it all). Was told to wait an hour before running Mail again. This did not solve the problem.

I made another account and had a go setting it up manually myself using Bigponds email settings (which are identical to the one's the Telstra guy used). Again this did not work. 

mail prob.png

There is a step by step guide for setting up mail in OSX however this is for Microsoft's OUTLOOK which doesnt help with Apple MAIL.

Finally I had a friend of mine who is also on El Capitan do some tests (he works in I.T and is an Apple enthusiast).  He was also unable to get it working with the current Bigpond settings provided.

So El Capitan is broken?

Well no. Because my friend is using Apple MAIL in el Capitan without issue via OPTUS. So other ISP seem able to work it out.

Assuming the issue isnt addressed I have 2 options. Fork out $179 for Office 2016 Mac edition and run Microsoft Outlook OR consider switching to an ISP where this problem doesn't exist.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
1unhappychappy
Accepted Solution

Re: Bigpond email settings for Apple Mail DO NOT WORK in El Capitan. Please HELP.

Youve copied and pasted the step by step guide that doesnt work, Thanks for caring though. I have been through all the email guides.

Anyway, Delete thread. Thanks

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Bigpond email settings for Apple Mail DO NOT WORK in El Capitan. Please HELP.

Have you tried this method? POP doesn't work with MAIL.

Before you start

You'll need your Telstra email username and password.

Note: The setup and use of your email account may incur data use charges.

Step 1

Open Mac Mail.

Step 2

Open the Mail menu and select Preferences.

Step 3

In the Accounts window:

• Press the Accounts button in the top menu, to activate the Accounts tab.
  • Press the '+' button at the bottom left of the window.

Step 4

In the Add Account window enter your logon information as follows:

• Full Name: Enter your name as you'd like it to appear in the emails you send.
  • E-mail Address: Enter your full email address (ending in '@bigpond.com' or '@bigpond.net.au').
  • Password: Enter your Telstra email account password – which will be case-sensitive.

Step 5

Press the Continue button.

Step 6

In the Incoming Mail Server window, update the settings as follows:

• Incoming e-mail server type: Select “IMAP”.
  • Incoming Mail Server: Enter “imap-mail.outlook.com”.
  • User Name: Enter your full email address.
  • Password: Enter your Telstra email account password – which will be case-sensitive.

Step 7

Step 8

In the Outgoing Mail Server window, update the settings as follows:

• Outgoing server: Enter “smtp-mail.outlook.com”.
  • Ensure the checkbox is ticked for Use only this server.
  • Ensure the checkbox is NOT ticked for Use Authentication.

Note: If you're using two-step verification with your Outlook.com account, remember to enter your app password here which will be case sensitive.

(Two-step verification is an extra security feature in Outlook.com which you might be using to protect against unauthorised attempts to access your email account.)

Step 9

Step 10

In the Accounts Summary window, review the settings you’ve entered to ensure that they’re correct.

You can press the Go Back button, if you need to edit something.

Step 11

Press the Create button to create your account which will allow you to send and receive email.

Step 12

There are still some more settings to update in the Advanced tab:

• Open the Mail menu – and then select Preferences.
  • In the Accounts window, press the Advanced tab.

Step 13

In the Advanced tab, update the settings as follows:

• Select the radio button for Use Custom Port.
  • Use Custom Port: Enter '587'.
  • Ensure the checkbox is ticked for Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
  • Authentication: Select 'Password'.
  • Password: Enter your Telstra email account password.

Step 14

Once all the settings are entered correctly, press the OK button.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
1unhappychappy
Accepted Solution

Youve copied and pasted the step by step guide that doesnt work, Thanks for caring though. I have been through all the email guides.

Anyway, Delete thread. Thanks

Huntforideas
Level 1: Cadet

I sympathise with you unhappychappy.

I too have spent frustrating hours with Testra, Apple and a clued up Mac colleague without success.

I wonder if anyone knows why I have been able to send emails with outgoing server: mail.bigpond.com without any problem for years and now since upgrading my Mac OS to El Capitan I can't send them and it wants me to provide a user name and password I didn't have. I went thru the rigermerole with Telstra to get them and now when I put them in it still doesn't work!!!!

Help!!!!!

DaBomma

I have the same problem. it only sets up automatically, I cant change manually. I cant go back in and change either. However my emails send.  I can change or set up as IMAP.  Frustrated also and keen for a solution

DaBomma

Step 6 onwards do not work and wont even to work on 2008 entourage also.  El Capitan will not let me go back and change once automatically set up

DaBomma

Sorted!!!

I went into the webmail and set up an alias with the outlook.com as the mail - then put this into mail and worked automatically. The problem was that somone had the same mail username in outlook as my username for bigpond - so had to create a different allias. Hopefully this helps

whitey71

Have you found an answer to this? I am experiencing the same problem. Same OS, same version of Mail.

When I enter my account details I a lways get 'Unable to verify account name or password"

mikeroxoz

Having exhausted all other options I did this too - created an alias in outlook via bigpond webmail and that worked without issue.

The alias works just like your bigpond email with the same password etc.

Wasted hours trying to setup bigpond email on my new macbook pro.

I could not manually turn off the auto update feature mentioned earlier because it would not create the account to edit

sophatten

Can someone point me int he right direction on how and where to set up an alias on webmail to allieviate this issue with El Capitan and Apple mail. Be hugely appreciated. 

Dazzle2

After trying a few things I got onto the Mac Mail support team at Bigpond.

They took remote access of my computer and sorted the problem in 20 minutes.

The number is 1800 246 724

Kodabear

Thanks Dazzle2, I too had this problem with Mail. I fixed it by opening Mail 9.3, select Preferences, Accounts, select account from list on LHS, then select the tick box titled Use SSL under the Advanced tab and it changes Port from 110 to 995. Then return to Mail and take all accounts online by selecting the offline icon next to your email account under Inbox and your emails should start rolling in. I hope this also helps other El Capitan users. 

adrianl53a

This works as of today (08/06/2016), thanks to on line chat help from Telstra.

For MacBook Pro and Air with OS X El Cap, using Apple Mail

How to create set up mail for a nnn.nnn@bigpond.net.au

Add Account

- Other Mail Account

See Box to add (your) details of Name, email address and (Bigpond) password

Add these, and enter

See new box, with your details, plus INCORRECT Account Type, Incoming and Outgoing server details

See the message "Unable to verify account name or password"

Change these:-

Account Type            -  from       IMAP                          to    POP

Incoming Mail Server - from       imap.telstra.com        to     mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing Mail Server - from       smtp.telstra.com        to     mail.bigpond.com

Press enter

The account name or password will now verify, and your bigpond.net.au mail should now download.

It appears (to me) that bigpond.net.au addresses use POP, while bigpond.com addresses use IMAP.

CleaverGreene

This method works for adding a new POP account to El Capitan but I cant quite figure out why using the same settings on an existing account does not work. Removing a POP account is risky because it normally deletes emails that aren't saved to the "On My Mac" folders

FYI There's 3 types of Telstra accounts and 2 of them can be set at IMAP or POP, so there's 5 possibilities of settings found here https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Telstra Mail POP

Telstra Mail IMAP

Outlook.com POP

Outlook.com IMAP

Bigpond POP (old accounts)

But on this page there is no mention of port 25 for outgoing settings which sometimes works when all others fail

blitzwasaden

hi mate,i too was having trouble but was playing with settings and found this

started with mac imap settings.

changed imap to pop

.changed incoming server to mail.bigpond.com

outgoing server stayed smtp.telstra.com

hit save/continue

had a test message in outbox and it sent straight away.hope that helps you and others.cheers

kleid

Yes this works. Thank you for relieving 90 minutes of frustration. 

Its been a shocker of a week with Telstra since the outage a week ago. 

unrelated - but hopefully helpful to other telstra - i found out this week (the hard way) that unless you manually log in to your account and go to webmail at least once every 6 months, the Telstra system deems the mail account "not in use" and suspends it due to inactivity. 

Note - using mail programmes on your mac/ipad/iphone and/or using ipad/iphone 24/7 app does not constitute logging in according to Telstra technicians.

I have set up a recurring reminder to log in manually to webmail at end of FY and Calendar year (every 6 months) to avoid being locked out. 

Hope somebody finds that helpful. 

Cheers

kleid

Vansa

THANKYOU SO MUCH!!!!

I have spent hours with telstra and they told me my settings were correct.

Onc I followed yours it all worked! Thanks!!

bucky_geo

This post and link from CleaverGreene was most useful to me.

Telstra/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-email-set-up

Of the various flavours of Telstra/Bigpond email types I am @Bigpond - it's important to follow the correct recipe on link above.

The solution I needed was to turn on SSL for outgoing mail, and change port to 465, as 587 doesn't work.

aar1

Hey kodabear I too had these problems but you quick fix instructions saved the day, thanks a million.

lminett

I just want to say thank you for the help! I have spent two hours on phone with Telstra, two hours on phone with Apple Support, two hours in the Apple Store, 400000 hours trying to do it myself. Finally, this fixed it! Different Ingoing and outgoing! Why doesn't someone tell the peeps at Telstra and Apple??? (she sips red wine and smiles, shoulders go down.)

adsfghewq

This solution worked perfectly for me.
Melarcus

This still seems to be a problem with El Capitan.

The other day, somehow, our Mac Mail just stopped sending emails. It continued to receive emails OK, but outgoing emails just sat in the Outbox.

Telstra have an Apple Support number.......

1800 246 724

Called it, they were GREAT!

I think the guy just changed our outgoing mail server port to 25, but please don't quote me on that (I'm no tech-head)

Just call the helpline

lukeandamanda

Posted in error.

Aqua9

After heaps of time trying this worked for me - THANKYOU :-)

Gaspo

For the last four days I have not been able to access my Bigpond email account using Outook or Mac Mail. Both applicatons keep asking for my user name and password. When I enter these details Bigpond does not accept them and keeps asking or the user name and password.

I can access my mail through the Media Telstra website butnot through Outlook or Mac Mail.

Any suggestions

Gaspo

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gaspo

The first thing I would suggest checking would be the mail server settings in your email programs. https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

If they are correct then you can also try resetting your password as the server and web login may have misaligned. You can do this online on MyAccount , through 132200 or live chat http://tel.st/8qpr​​​​​​​

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

spim

OMG this worked. Many thanks this has been driving me nuts for months. You have saved me the dreaded Telstra phone call. Cheers. 

LLT2617

I have the same problem now. Am frustrated enough to move my Telstra accounts to Optus or Iinet. Telstra - raise your game, for God's sake!!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now