CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
CubeOver
Level 3: Gumshoe

Can I add my BigPond email to existing MS Account after migration?

Answered

Hello Gurus of BigPond Migration!

I have an advanced request but I am ready to pay for its fulfillment.

I have a pre-existing Micosoft Account that has too many things linked so I will keep using it no matter what. It is over 10 years old now, has my Microsoft Certifications, exams, license access e.t.c.

One thing it does not have is Live.com / Outlook.com email. I never had any email hosted by Microsoft (although managed on-premise Exchange myself).

Now, with pending BigPond Email Migration to Outlook.com, I would like to ADD this into my pre-existing MS Account.

Is this doable? Kevin of Telstra told me "yes, if you do not have MS email in your MS account". I do not, only external email alias.

What I want to have is newly moved Bigpond Email to be added to my existing MS account.

I have tried adding it as an alias now, before migration - only to receive a message that @bigpond.com (and @telstra.com) are RESERVED domain names. They cannot be added as aliases (obviously because some of them that were migrated have indeed become valid and distinguished new MS accounts).

Well I DO NOT WANT a new distinguished MS account to be created when my BigPond email is migrated, I only want it added to my pre-existing MS account that does not currently have MS email in it.

(Everybody who tried to work with two personal MS accounts on one computer will understand why.)

So there it is. If you're in BigPond migration team, raise a hand Smiley Happy

I am a Telstra sub myself since 2010, I can give you my ID later (D617xxx)

I have raised a case with Telstra, to no avail. I have raised a case with MS, and it is still pending.

I need to find a person who can control the migration process (source and target accounts).

Help me please, pro-to-pro.

Yours truly

SZ

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I add my BigPond email to existing MS Account after migration?

Hey CubeOver,

When migrations were still being completed, it would basically make a new ID within outlook.com.

Migrations were ceased as the tool/process we used would end up 'breaking' the emails without a way to reverse the process. As far as we've been advised, there isn't a plan to restart the migrations. 

Our Engineering contacts in charge of this process have advised that they cannot do this for us, sorry.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 21: Augmented

Hi,

You don't want to add it as an Alias you want to add it as a POP account

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/pop-email

And here are the bigpond settings you need to fill in to complete the above

http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Set-Up/BigPond-settings-for-POP-IMAP-and-SMTP/ta-p/398464

Scroll down to where it says POP and SMTP
CubeOver

Thanks for advice,

Except this is not the essence of my case, I want to have a "real" Outlook.com account with Calendar, Contacts, Notes, whatever it comes with; be able to Sign-In in Windows Mail app and have full access to Outlook.com functions.

POP does not provide this and is not the answer. I am a pro so I do not need just to be able to read email, I need full Live account but trying to avoid finding opening YET ANOTHER email address.

Sorry.

CubeOver

Just a note that I have contacted Microsoft Support (Outlook.com group, case SRX1286672478ID) and upon understanding the essence they've eventually redirected me to BigPond Support.

In case you forgot, I had called BigPond support (outsourced) before and they did not even have tools to check or predict when my email is going to be migrated, let alone retarget it to exisitng MS Live ID. They advised that this is done my Microsoft and I should contact Microsoft Support.

Catch-22.

Is there anyone at Telstra who has access to the actual email migration tools???

It is disconcerting that an important operation like this seems out of reach for both Telstra and Microsoft.

Who is doing this, then? Self-aware cloud bots? Smiley Happy

It appears I am left to leveraging my personal aquaintances and catalogs at Telstra trying to identify the right contacts within.

If anybody can, please help.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi CubeOver,

I'm sorry but you may be been misinformed.  Migration was only available for BigPond and Telstra mailboxes, not any other type of mailboxes or accounts.  

Starting February 2012 we had been slowly migrating our customers, who had BigPond email, across to the Microsoft's Outlook.com platform.

However towards the end of last year migrations to Outlook.com ceased.  

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

pelipump
Level 1: Cadet

Seems there many opinions but not many definitive answers. Like ask 10 lawyers and you get 20 opinions!

I just talked to Bigpond - they advise cannot set up BigPond email system on Office/Outlook 365 - they say you have to download/install Outlook 13 or previous to do so.

Bummer to both MS and BigPond for no info that I can find on websites to tell you/warn you about that before you install the nasty 365 - it's obtuse and difficult even after getting used to Windows 8.1 and Office 13!

The latter at least you are able to configure in the normal way. I can not even find the config page on Otlook 365. All you get is a blue page with few items to click on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pelipump,

Office 365 is a business grade email program/service. If this is something that you have purchased through Telstra [https://store.t-suite.telstra.com] the team that you need to contact is T-Suite on 1800 TSUITE (1800 878 483) 9am-5pm Mon-Fri (AEST).

BigPond Tech Support would not be able to assist with this product.

- Shelly

CubeOver

Thanks Ben

yes I only want to migrate my Telstra mailbox.

Q1. What happens when it is migrated - is a new Outlook.com account created? This would mean a new MS Live account, wouldn't it?

Q2. Why has migration stopped? Any chances it would be continued? When?

Q3. Is there a way to get in touch with the actual migration admins, people who have access to tools performing migration?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey CubeOver,

When migrations were still being completed, it would basically make a new ID within outlook.com.

Migrations were ceased as the tool/process we used would end up 'breaking' the emails without a way to reverse the process. As far as we've been advised, there isn't a plan to restart the migrations. 

Our Engineering contacts in charge of this process have advised that they cannot do this for us, sorry.

Brodie

View solution in original post

CubeOver

Thank you Brodie
All is clear now and is as I suspected.
I would like to keep it as is, then. I only wish there was capacity for IMAP support on BigPond, but not hopeful.
It is what it is.

Take care!
LdeC
Level 1: Cadet

Dear Brodie,

Your response to this question from CubeOver included the following paragraphs:

"When migrations were still being completed, it would basically make a new ID within outlook.com.

Migrations were ceased as the tool/process we used would end up 'breaking' the emails without a way to reverse the process. As far as we've been advised, there isn't a plan to restart the migrations."

The bits in bold surprise me - I have just visited the Telstra Bigpond website that reads as if migrations are still underway.  This is also what Telstra Bigpond consultants have told me on the many occasions when I called them over the last 3 years to find out when I would be migrated (no useful answer ever given).

If your words are correct, why is the information for migration still on the website?  What is the true position please?

Laurence

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Ldec!

We are not migrating. Could you let me know where you are seeing this information?

Cheers.

89ANDY
Level 2: Rookie

Are we sure migrations stopped ?

My account was migrated last night and because I had set up my Microsoft Account to be associated to my Bigpond email address now I can't sign into or assign my Bigpond account to because it's saying its a 'reserved domain name'. I don't understand why they couldn't just merge it with my Outlook account and assign a an alias as @bigpond.com
psg_au
Level 2: Rookie

So when are Telstra going to sort out this  mess with Microsoft.

At present, there is no way to create a microsoft account using a @telstra.com email address - some crap about a reserved domain -  and I DO NOT WANT a microsoft email address.....

You ARE the biggest IT provider in Australia, and you are supposed to know what you are doing, get it sorted.....

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now