CrowdSupport®
OutWest16
Level 1: Cadet

Can POP3 accounts still be migrated to IMAP?

Answered
What are the options if I want to get my original @bigpond.com e-mail account migrated to IMAP. Telstra started this process several years ago but it stalled due to issues with the migration process - those of us left behind seem to have no options. I spent 45 minutes with technical support today and - while the person I was speaking with tried to help there seems to be no solution. For simplicity I want to be able to access all of my e-mail accounts - personal and work - using Outlook on my iPhone and iPad. However, Outlook for iOS no longer supports POP3. The option I was given by Telstra was to use specific IMAP settings in Outlook. These allow me to send e-mails from my iPhone using the POP3 account, but I can't see incoming messages on my iPhone. However, I can see them using the Apple e-mail client in my iPhone and using Outlook on my PC so I know the account is working fine on the Telstra side. I have trawled through as many online resources as I can find including Telstra Crowdsupport and Whirlpool but there seem to be no recent discussions or useful solutions. Can someone from Telstra advise what the true situation is please?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can POP3 accounts still be migrated to IMAP?

Telstra mail supports both IMAP and POP3. The way you set up your email client such as Outlook will determine whether you use IMAP or POP3. It is best to set up all email clients to use either IMAP or POP3 but you can have some email clients set up to use IMAP and the others to use POP3. The only problem will occur if you use both IMAP and POP3 is that the email clients set up to use POP3 will download the email and then either don't leave a copy on the server or remove the copy on the server after a certain period of time. Once the copy is removed from the server it will be deleted from the email client that is set up to use IMAP the next time it synchronizes with the server.

If you want to set up Outlook to use IMAP first make sure that the email clients that use POP3 are configured to leave a copy on the server and never to delete the copy. Only the email that is on the server will appear in the inbox of the IMAP account. Emails that have been downloaded to a email client set up to use POP3 and then removed from server will not appear in the email client set to use IMAP.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Accepted Solution

Telstra mail supports both IMAP and POP3. The way you set up your email client such as Outlook will determine whether you use IMAP or POP3. It is best to set up all email clients to use either IMAP or POP3 but you can have some email clients set up to use IMAP and the others to use POP3. The only problem will occur if you use both IMAP and POP3 is that the email clients set up to use POP3 will download the email and then either don't leave a copy on the server or remove the copy on the server after a certain period of time. Once the copy is removed from the server it will be deleted from the email client that is set up to use IMAP the next time it synchronizes with the server.

If you want to set up Outlook to use IMAP first make sure that the email clients that use POP3 are configured to leave a copy on the server and never to delete the copy. Only the email that is on the server will appear in the inbox of the IMAP account. Emails that have been downloaded to a email client set up to use POP3 and then removed from server will not appear in the email client set to use IMAP.

OutWest16
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks cf4. I think there was something else going on that may have been resolved in the background after I called Support. About 30 minutes after I posted my original question I started to receive e-mails on my iPhone via the Outlook client. I don't know what changed, but my e-mail account is very "old" in BigPond terms so there may have been some legacy config that needed to be cleaned up.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now