CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
KateF2
Level 1: Cadet

Can receive but not send emails

Answered

I have a MacBook Pro. Until 3 October I was able to send emails. I don't believe anything has changed but now I can't send anything out. A pop up tells me Bigpond is offline & gives me an option to try SMTP but this doesn't work either. When I click on connection doctor my email addressPOP account, windows live pop account & SMTP SMTP account all show as connected but the Bigpond SMTP account tries to connect to the server for several minutes & then brings up the message  Could not connect to this SMTP server,check your network connection and that you entered the correct information in account preferences. Surely there can't be anything wrong with the network connection if I am receiving mail? Equally, I haven't changed anything on my account preferences (not sure what they are anyway). I tried doing a restart on the computer too, but that didn't help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Can receive but not send emails

Hi, 

What you'd need to do is use the SMTP setting of the ISP that you are using whilst in London, as they are likely blocking port 25 which outgoing mail is sent on.

If you can't use the SMTP setting of the ISP as your SMTP setting, the only other option would really be to use Webmail instead.

Steph

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 23: Superhero

You can find the current Bigpond email settings at https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email

Also, just confirming that you are accessing your email from a Bigpond connection?

If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
CHFIBRIMAL
Level 2: Rookie

hello

I have recently relocated to london for 12 mths and now have BT WIFI at home. I can still receive emails from the bigpond server on my macbook pro but i can't send them. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi, 

What you'd need to do is use the SMTP setting of the ISP that you are using whilst in London, as they are likely blocking port 25 which outgoing mail is sent on.

If you can't use the SMTP setting of the ISP as your SMTP setting, the only other option would really be to use Webmail instead.

Steph

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Throne
Level 6: Bloodhound

Try using mail.btinternet.com as your SMTP server, this should work
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not a Telstra employee. I am however a long-term Telstra customer and a Telecommunications industry employee working in Technical Support.
Physio

Re: Can receive but not send emails Download Thunderbird

I have had the same problem for years. Every time I am overseas or using someone else's internet I can receive but not send on my Microsoft Outlook on my Bigpond email.

However, today I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird. Tyeped in my email address and Password and it loaded me in. AND - I have been able to send emails.

Not sure if this works overseas but I am visiting a friend in Melbourne and it works here.

SRavi

Re: Can receive but not send emails Download Thunderbird

I had the same problem  with some variation.Send and receive was ok in my home where I had telstra modem and wifi.When I opened thunderbird in other places ,other locations with wifi from different provider only receive will work.

Webmail send/receive was ok everywhere,but I wanted to use Thunderbird everywhere.

The error message was ,connection to server timed out. Receive was perfectly ok.

When I called techsupport on phone they tried to rope me in to subscribe to platinum service,which I refused.

Then I tried thru chat support, some bloke suggested the following setting which corrected the issue for me.

Account Type: POP (POP3)
Username & Password: Use complete BigPond Email Address & Password
Incoming Server (POP3): mail.bigpond.com
Incoming Server Port: 995
Incoming Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)
Outgoing Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com
Outgoing Server Port: 465
Outgoing Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)
Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes, same as incoming mail server (complete BigPond Email Address & Password)

I checked with my existing setting, and found only the outgoing server port number was different.Changed it to 465 and send started working.

Hope this solution works for some  one else with same issue.Try the chat support.

I also wish Telstra themselves post proven solutions and the issues in this forum

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now