CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
leonpeachey
Level 1: Cadet

Can receive but not send emails

Answered

Hello,

I am using Linux (ubuntu) and using Evolution as my client. It has been set up and currently works for several gmail accounts. I can receive emails using the setting recomended by the help page (pop3.live.com) but keep getting errors when sending. I have tried the suggestions from the help page (smtp.live.com) with no luck and then tried all the combinations that were possible.

I have also tried the mail.bigpond.com settigns as well.

Has anyone had anyluck using Evolution? I expect there is a setting that I have overlooked, but for the life of me, can't find it.

Cheers,

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

Re: Can receive but not send emails

try another email client perhaps to make sure it's a settings issue and not an account related issue
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
Level 21: Augmented
Accepted Solution

try another email client perhaps to make sure it's a settings issue and not an account related issue
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Statistically, three out of five people are not the other two
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Leon,

I am not a Linux guru by any definition of the word, but I can confirm our email settings for you.

To confirm that you are on the Windows Live mail platform, click here

The following email settings are for customers on the Windows Live platform and it is important not to vary from these settings. 

INCOMING SERVER SETTINGS

POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL)
Port: Default SSL Port 995

OUTGOING SERVER SETTINGS

SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (TLS or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using)

If you are currently using Outlook, Mac Mail, iPhones, Windows Phones, Android’s please use TLS.
Port: Default TLS Port 587

IMPORTANT – ALSO BE SURE TO:

Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication (in most email clients, this is not selec ted by default).
Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connection, and SMTP authentication for security.

Hope this helps!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

leonpeachey

I tried Thunderbird and after some playing have managed to get that client to work. Thanks for your help
kagi

I keep getting the popup saying enter network password . what is that password I keep entering bigpond password but apparently that is not the one they need. How do I know what the passwoed is

kagi

sorry to be so dumb. Where am I going to tick the box indicating outgoing server

kagi

where is the the box indicating outgoing server

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi All,

Just providing an update to the various configurations available for BigPond mailboxes hosted on both the BigPond and Outlook.com servers.

http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

baccii68

Khutre
Level 2: Rookie

Yes i got figured out eventually, Evolution automatically configures regualar outlook IMAP accounts, so if you have one of the new telstra or bigpond IMAP accounts wgich have switched to the outlook server, all you have to do is set up Evolution on your linux distro with a regular outlook account first (ie 123@outlook.com for example) then go into preferences as Evolution will automatically set it up with IMAP settings instead of POP3 settings.

Next just replace the outlook username and accound name in Reciveing and sending our outgoing mail with your @bigpond.com..... @bigpond.net.... @telsra.com or .net address.

this should solve your problem aslong as you make no typing errors lol, i did the first time. But everything is working fine now
/

If syncing online folders don't sync trash sent or junk, Evolution seems to have errors with this just your Inbox and personal folders, don't select the option for all mail to sync to inbox if your going the advanced route of folder syncing either... but if not sure best to just down every thig to inbox and organise folder options offline.

Hope this helps.. succeded with this on Linux Mint  18 SARA x64 Mate Edition  beta  Cat Happy

EMoffline

Hello,

I can receive but not send emails. I get a box which keeps on asking me to enter my name and password for the mail.bigpond server. I keep putting my password in but it won't accept it. I've changed passwords on the Telstra site and tried again many times.  It started as an ocasinal problem and if I left it alone or restarted my PC  messages would sometimes go. But over the past few days, none will go. Weirdly I can send emails to myself.

I'd really appreciate any advice on what to do.

Lizzie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

It sounds like you may have some outdated settings still configured in your email program.

Below you will see the recommended outgoing mail server settings for Telstra Mail and the original BigPond Mail. The one that you use will depend on which mail server your mailbox is currently hosted on.

Telstra Mail - Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com

Outgoing server port: 465 

SMTP authentication: On

Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS 

BigPond Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

Authentication: Yes

Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

The settings will vary depending on the email program that you are using, but there will be an option to set authentication for the outgoing mail server. The following link has step by step instructions on how to configure Outlook and Windows Mail. https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now