Highlighted
raffaele
Level 1: Cadet

Email Account Suspended

Hi 

My email account was suspended on the 4 feb 2017.  I understand it has been compromised by scammers.  After numerous calls and promises by Telstra that the issue would be resolved b/w 24 - 48 hours, I still have no email access.  It is now well past 48 hours (6 Feb 2017).

Despite the inconvenience, I could tolerate the suspension of my email over the week-end, but I'm now expecting important legal correspondence re: a serious legal matter that is underway now.  I need my email backnow!!

Why has it taken so long to reactivate my account.  I can provide personal details re: my account but please respond.  

Regards

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
37 REPLIES 37
GOKnevrs

Re: Email Account Suspended

My email account ***@bigpond.com has been compromised and suspended. I have changed the password and now what do I do

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

When a mailbox has been identified as generating spam, we ask customers to update their internet security and perform a thorough scan. In most cases, the mailbox will be reactivated when the consultant does a password reset. We then recommend that the password be personalised to something completely different to what has previously been used. I also suggest customers check for any unexpected email forwarding rules within the webmail settings. 

If the cause of the spam hasn't been removed, the mailbox will be suspended again, very quickly. There will be increased steps required to remove the suspension if this continues. 

You can find out more about the reasons for mailboxes being suspended here: https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/restore-a-suspended-mailbox

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sk-au

I'm having the same problem. My email account has been repeatedly suspended by Telstra because "it has been compromised". Each time I call customer service they reinstate but the same problem reoccurs within 1-2 days. Telstra tells me this is a network wide problem affecting many Bigpond email accounts but cannot give me an estimate of when it will be fixed. Today I've lodged a formal complaint with Telstra and with TIO. Anyone else got the same problems?

123Brad

telstra is a joke

i will be upgrading to a GMAIL account

so you know where to stick telstra

123Brad

excuses excuses
Telstra stuffed up and cant admit they wronged everyone
then have the check to put a link on to order a new phone
how about send us all a phone for the inconvenience and hassel it has caused suspending how many million emails accounts
TerryJ47

My email account has been suspended again today for the third time in as many days, and now the call-back service is not working. Why should I have to put up with this and have to waste time every time it happens???
MF2436

My bigpond email account has been suspended while I am in Thailand. Called Telstra and was put on hold for 45 minutes before being disconnected. Spent an hour on the chat line only to be told that my account looks fine and to chat again during office hours. Finally got a call back to my Telstra mobile informing me that the fault was due to a Telstra software upgade gone wrong. The overseas part of this call was charged to my Telstra account, which soon ran out of money. Just received an SMS informing me "Hi Michael, we are currently having an on-going email outage hence your email is not working". Luckily I don't have these issues with my Thai provider.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi MF2436, 

There was a post about the issues effecting email services posted to CrowdSupport on Friday 17/03. You can read the full article explaining the outage here: https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Telstra-Email-issue-updated-17-03-2017/ba-p/660...

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Sol71
Level 2: Rookie

After a week trying to resolve my account suspension with Philipino 1st level, ADSL and supervisor level support who at the 1st level tried to assure me that I needed Platinum support $$$$ to fix my spam generating laptop &/or phone (Is 1st level support sales too???) which I chose not too BECAUSE THIS ISSUE IS TELSTRA DERIVED.....

My complaint has been esculated to the email server department???? to remove the suspension on my blocked work order ??? wtf does that even mean, maybe they can sense my blood pressure building and want a reaction.

Not only have I had happiness with the telstra service I have equally been dissapointed, I believe my contract terms have not been met and will seek compensation for this disruption or a contractual release.

S

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sol71,

We sincerely apologise for the experience you have had with your broadband service.  It's definitely not what we want for any of our valued members. Appreciating you do have an escalation, if you do happen to have the SR reference, we're happy to look into it and see what we can do to help further in getting this matter resolved as soon as possible.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Sol71

Started with sms 14032017 with account suspension due to compromised email account.

15032017: Ref:INT 1-1092550040589

24 hour fix ???

21032017: I called telstra http://say.telstra.com.au/customer.....=D754168 (link failed)

Supervisor message "Will call 3:00pm today", 618750.... No resolution.

22032017: Supervisor message "Will call 3:00pm today", 618750.... No resolution.

Request to call back Ref: SR1-1097483287719 on 1800241787 pin 5303, No resolution.

Meanwhile 22032017 telstra messaging (+61438310608) requested feed back on "how we have handled my issue" if it was resolved and how happy I would be to recommmend telstra.

23032017: Supervisor (618750) called 4:45pm to inform me that no progress has been made and will call again 25032017

S

Sol71

Some thing else to check when a customer has a similar predicament as I do.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/manage/restore-a-suspended-mailbox

Compromised email account

If your email address has been identified as a source of ‘spam' emails (unsolicited emails sent from your email address) we will suspend your account if we believe that your account has been compromised.

Before contacting Telstra please ensure you update your internet security software and run an anti-virus scan on each device that can access the email account. Once done contact us on 13 22 00 to have your account reactivated.

When we reactivate your email address make sure you change your password to ensure your account is not automatically suspended again. To update your password follow these steps:

1. Log in to My Account
  2. Select Personal Detailsin the Profile & preferences tab
  3. Select Editin Username & Password to update your password

No longer a Telstra customer       (Humorous next line on your page)

How am I to follow the above procedure for account recovery if my account is suspended??

S

Sol71

Hi,

Still no resolution, have not spoken with a telstra rep since 23rd-24th ??? 13 days without email or account access?

S

Philwill

I am having the same problem. It has now been 17 days since first reported.

I cant get anything progressed with the complaints section, and cant even speak with a supervisor.

No one will pay me the courtesy of advising what is the issue with my email, or resetting it.

I am happy to change password, anything to get access.

If anyone knows how to progress this with Telstra within Australia, as I am hitting a huge brick wall in the Philippines.

HELP PLS........

Sol71

Hi Philwill,

I was able to liaise with a Supervisor regarding my (our) situation. I very briefly had access on the 28th but missing emails since the 14th March when this all started, then it became compromised once again. Telstra provided me with plantinum support for free, remotely gaining access to my computer to try sort the issue, Telstra has accepted that after all attempts that their email server is the issue and not my computer sending spam.... Wooohooo, the 1st resolution in two weeks.

Unfortunately, telstra will not call back until the 31st when it was claimed in an earlier Crowd support  "Status Update" that this matter will be resolved, so no emails, until telstra sorts this out.

TommyR https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Announcements/Telstra-Email-issue-updated-17-03-2017/ba-p/660...

This link has been update, it looks our wait could be another week; 7th April.

I have expressed my grievances and Teslstra has agreed to wave the early exit fee from my bundled contract should I choose to go with another provider.

All the best. 

S

Sol71

Is there any body out there.......

Since 4th Feb I have no email access, Telstra granted me account access most likely so I can get a bill paid (yes full amount demanded).

Will I get what I paid for any time soon,

Kindest bestest regards,

S

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sol71, 

Sorry to hear of the trouble you have been having with accessing your email. Is this via Webmail? 

Have you been in contact with our Tech Support team to help look into it? If so what has been advised? 

Sol71

Hi IvanS, sorry to point out the not-so-obvious but its clear to me telstra on all levels does not communicate customer issues.

Today @~17:00, 5 weeks after no email access it finally happened.. I have access.. Thankyou to the case manager for multiple attempts to help, same thing though, call you tomorrow (hoping something magical would fix the issue).

I am missing  5 weeks of emails, any chance of those being found in the bigpond...

I paid my bill 090417 since not having an email address and no account access I didnt recieve a "due" bill notification until a sms came through on the 4th.

Is the account saying its still not paid because TELSTRA links bills with sending them to email accounts (Invoice received) and payments....? Seems like it. Do you see the issue?

This then relates to the issue not having account access because telstra links accounts and email together... Why not change your procedures, they are easy to implement, help the customer.... make incidents like this simpler to resolve by seperating accounts, emails & bills

WHY DID MY EMAIL GO DOWN FOR 5 WEEKS, WHY DID IT TAKE TELSTRA 5 WEEKS TO RESOLVE, WHY WAS I TOLD THAT THIS PROBLEM WAS MY DOING AND WHY DO I NOT HAVE AN APOLOGY, arrogance is not a virtue.

Regards,

S.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Sol71, I apologise that you have had some troubles with your email service. You can choose your preferred billing email address, login to My Account portal online to provide your chosen contact information. I'm sorry I've no idea why your email service went down, I have no answers to such questions specific to your account or experience. But again, apologies for the troubles. 

Sol71

Hi Cas-Ra,

Thanks for your speedy response and assistance, it's not you who should be apologising but thanks anyway.

Any chance of downloading 5 weeks of emails? 

Regards,

S

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sol71,

If your email was suspended or not active in the system then anyone who sent an email before it was resumed would most likely have had the email bounced back as there was no mailbox to receive it. 

- AlistairQWA

AD53

My email account has not been working all week.  On Tuesday Telstra told me they had suspended the account due to spam activity.  The reinstated the account but did not change the password so it was suspended again straight away.  They escalated the issue as I was unable to access Telstra My Account to change the password.  They reinstated the account again on Wednesday and changed the Password.  I was able to access my emails for a day and this morning it is again suspended.  Telstra are now telling me that at there end the email is "active" but I am still being advised at my end on my computer that my email has been compromised and therefore suspended.  Telstra are now telling me that it is not due to spam email but due to the fact that they are migrating me to their new system.  We received no advice that this was happening and they tell me there is no timeframe for when this will be completed.  I advised them that I still haven't received the promised call back from higher level support and they said they will send an email to tell them this is urgent.  When clients try to send me an email they receive the message that "the email address you entered could not be found".  This is not acceptable and creating huge probelms for me.  Where do I go to from here as I cannot just sit and wait another five days for someone to call me????  Any 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi AD53,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with your email account and that you have not been kept informed. Do you have a reference number pertaining to this? Examples can be found here: What Reference Numbers can I obtain from Telstra?

- Tim 

peawea76

my email account has been suspended 2 days in a row.  only ran the first time for one email to be sent.  i have done numerous scans thru norton, nothing has bought it back up.  I have been on the phone many times to telstra (who did not return a promised call back today at 2pm).  I NEED MY EMAIL URGENTLY AS DISCUSSED WITH TELSTRA.  I honestly don't believe it is because of scam emails.  I reckon it is since the nbn and also bigpond moving over to telstra, and maybe telstra just don't know how to fix it.  Too many people with the same complaint and it appears that telstra doesn't give a damm of our prediciment. Maree

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Maree,

We appreciate you taking the time to contacting us in relation to your email. I apologise for the troubles you have experienced with your email service.

Appreciating you have discussed this with us, what has been advised in regard to resolving this matter?

peawea76

I had my email a/c suspended a few weeks ago.  finally got it fixed & it got suspended again two days ago.  telstra got it up & running for a very short time (I was able to send 1 email) then today when I tried my email it was suspended again.  I have had numerous phone calls with telstra & chat line but still is suspended.  I have ran numerous norton scans on my pc & they are all clear.  telstra blame spam emails but I do not believe them.  this has all happened since nbn & bigpond moving over to telstra. why don't telstra fix the problem instead of putting it on the customers.  I am awaiting an urgent email (which has bounced back to sender because of my email being suspended).  

telstra take no responsibility whatsoever for their inability to fix these problems.  I am told yet again to wait another 24hrs.  then HOPE this will not re-occur like yesterday.  NOT FAIR  Maree

peawea76

I am in the same situation as you, bloody terrible especially when you are waiting on important emails. telstra say I have spam emails thats why I am suspended. I don't believe them. this is the 3rd time for me & still no email. I will be following your path. we pay good money for a **bleep** service - wrong. thanx Maree
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us Maree, if this continues, I recommend lodging a complaint via https://www.telstra.com.au/contact-us/feedback-complaints, so we can have a case manager assigned to assist.

Information on our complaints process is available via https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681....

TD5

why is it that all of a sudden telstra is suspending email accounts for spam, find this unfair as a lot of people do not have any way of stopping the spam emails that come through, me included. my computer security is up to date and all emails get scanned before they are seen, but the spam still comes through. so if i ring up and get the account reopened from what i read if spam comes through again, which it will because i cannot stop it, my account will be suspended again. is that correct?

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

It's not 'all of a sudden'. Compromised accounts have been getting suspended for years. Its not spam coming in, its spam being sent from the account that causes the suspension

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
nikgra

My email account has been suspended this weekend.  I have contacted Telstra twice now, the first time I was promised a call back within an hour, I had to call back myself 3 hours later.  They keep saying it's because my email has been compromised yet numerous full scans have failed to detect any issues.  My account is paid and up to date as always and we use the email every day so it's not a lack of use issue.  No one at Telstra seems to be able to tell me why it is suspended, they just keep rehashing the same crappy excuse which DOES NOT APPLY and then telling me that I'm not listening.  I hardly think so.  I am missing extremely important emails and I have no way of telling the sender that there is an issue.  I have been informed that there is no compalints contact for customers?  How can this be?  The girl on the phone said I have to go through them to complain, they can't even call me back or tell whythe email is suspended so I hardly trust them to take a complaint seriously.  What does a customer of over 8 years have to do to get a service that they are paying for?  Who is going to recover the emails I'm missing?  Why can no on tell what the hell is wrong?  Not happy at all!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@nikgra - Mailboxes can be suspended for a number of reasons, but the most common is because the account has been compromised. This means that someone has gained access to your mailbox, so we have locked it to prevent further access to your emails and to prevent it from sending further spam within our network.

The account could be compromised due to virus activity on one or more of your devices that accesses your email, but most commonly it is because the password has been cracked. Because of this, before we remove the suspension, we ask that customers update their security software and scan all devices. Once done, we will re-activate the mailbox, but it is ESSENTIAL that you change your password to something completely different to any that you have used previously. Just changing the number on the end is not sufficient.

I also recommend logging into webmail to make sure that there are not any unexpected email forwarding or reply to settings configured. Remember, they have had access to your mailbox and may have made some changes that will allow them to quickly regain access.

Emails being sent to your mailbox are not stored on your server, and the sender will receive a bounce-back email to let them know that it has not been delivered. 

As you mentioned that you have already scanned your computers, contact Accounts on 132200 and let them know that you have done as directed and need your mailbox to be resumed. Once your mailbox is activated, make sure that you personalise the password and check the settings in webmail (https://email.telstra.com) as a priority.

When it comes to passwords - the longer, the better.

There are also websites which will rate your password and advise how long it will take for a computer to brute-force crack your password. 

Some other tips to remember: 

1. Don't unsubscribe from dubious emails, all this does is verify your account

2. If you are signing up to a website to get a good 'deal', use a disposable email address

3. Keep your BigPond mailbox for friends and family only

4. If the subject sounds too good to be true, it definitely is. Don't open it, use the Mark as Spam button within webmail or delete it within your app

- Shelly

nikgra

Thanks Shelly but it was actually an outage. Which I already suspected, but this was denied twice last night. Issue is fixed tonight by a consultant who did his job well. Let's hope this lasts.
Kath22

I have experienced a similar problem, suspended email account and loss of 17 days of emails.

Yesterday the Telstra support person told me that I had malware or spyware from the dark web. After two scans, one professional, nothing was found.

Today, when I rang back to report this, I was told that it was suspended because of lack of activity! I use email every day via Outlook but hadn't used webmail for 180 days. Apparently this uses a different server and so Telstra thinks there is no activity.

I find it difficult to believe that every Telstra email user logs in via webmail regularly.

Has anyone else been given similar information?

TJ9

My wifes email was suspended while travelling in Thailand in Oct 2017.  She reactivated it via Telstra call centre (30 mins on phone we paid for) and changed the password but then it was suspended again 15 minutes later.  My email was working fine overnight but was then suspended also the next day.  Telstra said we should run virus scan etc as they had detected a threat and shut our accounts down to protect from it.  We have the latest virus software and scan daily and other email servers (eg gmail, etc) did not have any problem.  Via online chat Tesltra then reactivate the accounts 2 more times and changed the passwords again only to have them suspended again within 10 minutes.   Telstra then said we should check with the Thai internet service provider being used at the house we rented that the Telstra servers were not being blocked by them or interferred within some way.  After significant effort and getting translators and IT engineers we eventually got this confirmed.  Telstra then reactivated the account via online chat and the same thing happened.  About 15 minutes later they were both suspended again quoting with the same reason as they detected some form of threat.  We pleaded with Telstra to help us but the online chat mysteriously seemed to have a malfunction and we were cut off.  I've spent 7 hours on this and have run out of patience.    

This is crazy. Such awful service.  Telstra said their servers were picking up threats but they could not tell us what they were so we could not try to find them.  They then said the problem was on our computers when we are sure they are not as we have the latest antivirus software and no other email or other system was having any problems.   

We rely on Tesltra email for our work and as we travel a lot we can't tolerate such unreliability.  We are off to another provider with $15-20k per annum of accounts.  Its funny, I sold my Tesltra shares six months ago after a similar service experience and they have declined ever since.  This is one wagon I'm not hitching my horses to.  

V8Mate

We got this message today

Your account has been compromised

SH2071
Level 4: Private Eye

I have also been down this painful route.

Refer thread "Has anyone found a solution to Email Temporarily Suspended?"

My suggestion for fastest resolution - lodge a formal complaint now, using the form linked in the thread. Don't place any reliance on 132200 script-reading operators.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now