CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
AC2006
Level 2: Rookie

Email Error 0x800CCC92 outgoing emails don't send

Answered

For about a week now in Outlook 2013, I have been getting the error 0x800CCC92 which say that my e-mail server rejected my login, and to verify my user name and password for this account in Account Settings. I have no trouble receiving emails, so don't understand why this has started happening when I have not had any issues prior to this. I have been able to close Outlook and relaunch it, and then the email sends, but today, nothing works!!!! Does anyone know what the problem is? I did see that cj144 was having this problem, and JarradD from Support Team replied with "Some customers may be having difficulties accessing Telstra Mail. We are working to fix this ASAP. Thanks for your patience." However this was on 13 December 2016. It's now 3 March 2017. Are there still issues??? Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AC2006
Accepted Solution

Re: Email Error 0x800CCC92 outgoing emails don't send

Thanks Lindy.  Ironically when I turned on the computer this morning (Sunday morning), the email I had been trying to send since lunchtime on Friday finally sent!  I haven't had to change any of the account settings.  However, I will keep your advice handy in the event that this was a temporary fix and the problem starts again.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
11 REPLIES 11
suandrew
Level 1: Cadet

My VPN allows incoming emails, but not outgoing ones. If you have installed a VPN, switch it off while you send emails.

BUT

prior to that issue I spend approximately one week online and on the phone with Telstra for this problem. They never solved it. So I installed a new email accountm exactly the same as the other one. The new acount worked. There are two Inboxes, and the emails alk come to the new inbox. The old emails are all still there. It was hte only way I could fix it. Telstra had no ideas, since the incoming mail was working. I believe there is an actual issue, but its not in the manual when you ring them to help fix it. Give this a go. 

AC2006

I did try adding a new account, but had the same issue when sending.  I got onto Telstra 24/7 (finally) late last night and they said that the server was done.  They also said "As of the moment this is not yet determined as outage. But I do have a lot of customers having the same issue. The SMTP got rejected from the Server. I do apologize for the inconvenience.".  They also said "They should be able to provide an update on the escalation within 4 business days at the latest. This is the usual turn around time for the Back Office team. As soon as your case is escalated it will be assessed within 24 hours, the results of this assessment will determine the actions required. In some cases, a very complicated issue can take longer to identify and resolve. You can check daily if your issue is resolved while waiting for a call back, as frequently the fault may have been resolved before we actually get to call you back.".

So I guess I will see what the coming week brings!  It is most inconvienient to say the least!!

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

That error could be caused by wrong type of encryption on outgoing server.

If using outlook 

Click on "File"

Click on "Account Settings"

Double click on your email account.

Click on More settings.

If using port 465 use SSL as security type. Preferred method

If using port 25 or 587 use TLS

see

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

russ8

I had the same issue, with the same error code and fixed it mainly by trial & error.  My guess is the problem was caused by the change over from Bigpond to Telstra mail (they ignored people who used Outlook in their change over emails). To fix it this is what I did;

1. go into Outlook / file / account settings

2. double click on your abc@bigpond.com email address

3. leave the account type at POP3

4. Change the incoming server to pop.telstra.com

5. Change the outgoing server to smtp.telstra.com

6. log on user name should be your full xxxx@bigpond.com address

7. password is the same as you use for your web log in (tick the remember password box; leave the SPA box unticked)

8. tick the auto test account box

9. click on more settings

10. click on outgoing server tab

11. tick the box for "my outgoing server SMTP...."

12. tick the box for "log on to incoming mail server before sending mail" (untick "use same settings..." and "logon using"

13. click on the advanced tab

14. incoming server = 995; tick the box for "this server requires encryted SSL"

15. outgoing server = 465; use SSL as encryption 

click on next / finish etc

goodluck

Russ

AC2006

Thanks cf4.  I changed the outgoing port from 587/SSL to 465/SSL and got the same issue.  Interestingly I then changed it to a 587/TLS and got the message "Send test e-mail message: the connection to the server was interrupted.  If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service prvide (ISP)."  I presume that this does mean the server is down?

AC2006

Thanks Russ.  Please see my response to cf4.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi AC2006

This is the solution we have been advised of for this issue

Several weeks ago 50% of traffic was migrated from our old server to a new one, and on Friday 03/03 the remaining 50% of traffic was migrated across also.

As a result Customers that have the incorrect mail settings or have SMTP authentication enabled will be impacted and unable to send an email. You will be able to login and script a new email, however whenyou attempt to send the email you will be prompted to enter your password. Although you enter the correct password the request will fail and you will not be able to send the email.
You need to configure your email client correctly as per the recommendations on the Telstra website (Instructions below). Specifically,your username for SMTP authentication should contain the domain eg. @bigpond.com. Also if you disable SMTP authentication it will fix the issue.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

AC2006
Accepted Solution

Thanks Lindy.  Ironically when I turned on the computer this morning (Sunday morning), the email I had been trying to send since lunchtime on Friday finally sent!  I haven't had to change any of the account settings.  However, I will keep your advice handy in the event that this was a temporary fix and the problem starts again.

Kate54

I tried unchecking the SPA box but got the same message as before repeatedly asking for user name and password - the test message couldn't be sent.

I still got the same message when I tried following this as recommended by Telstra's Lindy

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/set-up-telstra-mail-on-outlook-2016

My account had been on POP3 so I tried a new account on IMAP as this says but got the same message repeatedly asking for user name and password then an error messages:

• Log onto incomeing server "The connection to the server was interrupted" and
  • Send test email "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server ... contact your ISP"

I tried changing IMAP back to 995 and got different errors:

• Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server failed.
  • Send test email message: Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi guys, 

We would need our support here  http://tel.st/gq6m to check on this if the steps Lindy gave are not resolving this sorry. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Kate54

Medel from online chat support team solved my problem. Thanks. I had been trying to send email through a different internet service provider so I needed to use that ISP's outgoing mail server settings. That ISP happened to be iinet so I rang them and was told their SMTP is mail.iinet.net.au. When I'm somewhere with Telstra as ISP I presume I will need to change SMTP back to telstra.com

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now