CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
ralphd
Level 3: Gumshoe

Email address changed to @bigpond address

Answered

Just opened new Bigpond account and discovered that my normal email address which is set up in Thunderbird changes to my @bigpond.com account when an email is sent. The receiver of the email sees my email address as @bigpond.com instead of my @penwebs.com.au address.

Never had this problem with Netspace or Internode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ralphd
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Email address changed to @bigpond address

Thanks Lathania the problem was that the install cd set up my outgoing server as smtp.live.com port 587 instead of mail.bigpond.com port 25. All good now but I am amazed that non of the 3 Bigpond "experts" I spoke to by phone were able to pick up on that.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 21: Augmented

Hi Ralphd,

Welcome to Crowd Support!

If you've used the BigPond CD to setup your modem, there is an option at the end that sets up your email address. Go into the settings for your thunderbird and see what the default sending email address is, you shold be able to change it back to yours.
Lathania

Accepted Solution

Thanks Lathania the problem was that the install cd set up my outgoing server as smtp.live.com port 587 instead of mail.bigpond.com port 25. All good now but I am amazed that non of the 3 Bigpond "experts" I spoke to by phone were able to pick up on that.

Technically BigPond don't actually support Thunderbird so other than vague suggestions they wouldn't be able to help you much. Glad to hear you got it working though =)
Lathania

It wouldn't matter what the email client was, the outgoing server was incorrect. I even tried to discuss it with them using my wifes computer running Outlook, they never once picked it up.

Thanks for you input.

My point was the second you mention Thunderbird they wouldn't care what the servers said because they couldn't help. Should have been able to help with outlook though.
Lathania

That's one of Bigpond greatest mistakes, if it isn't Microsoft, they are not interested. Well neither will I when the 22.5 more months are up, back to Internode, they are the greatest.

I hated their tech support when I was with Internode. Great billing guys but terrible TS even though they were based in AUS.
Lathania

I guess, what I really meant was that their overall sevice was so good, I didn't have to deal with their TS many times at all but when I did, they were seemed really knowledgeable. I must admit though that Telstra overall has improved their support quite a lot over the last couple of years, I used to dread having to ring them in my previous job and always advised clients to make a cup of tea or coffee and make themselves comfortable before ringing them.

I agree I never used to be a fan. Really proud of Telstra and the direction their customer service is going with the current CEO.
Lathania

Hi, I have a problem with my email where when I try to send an email, it is using my OLD email address, which means of course that my message are not being sent. How can I change this? I have been through the whole telstra big pond site to get help, phone or something to get help with this and I can get absolutely NOWHERE!!! Totally frustrating!!! Can anyone give me some ideas please?

Mayo
Level 1: Cadet

An addit to my problem, my newest email was not set up with a cd, but over the phone

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mayo,

Can you give a little more detail about what your issue is?

Is this to do with an active @bigpond.com or @bigpond.net.au email address?

Are you accessing emails through a program, if yes which one?

Do you have more than one email account configured?

Are you receiving any error messages when trying to send/receive?

Can you confirm which mail platform your account is on by using this link: . http://bigpond.com/email-status

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Cotton
Level 1: Cadet

My husband has a hotmail.com email address, I want my own email address, how to go
About getting one.bigpond.? (New at this!!)
Regards
Coralee Friend
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Coralee, 

Are you a BigPond customer for an Internet service at the moment? 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now