CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Email from a sailing forum I manage are being rejected by Bigpond mail servers

Answered

The emails being rejected are post notifications on the forum being sent to forum members that have BigPond accounts.

BigPond is the only one of many destinations mail servers that is giving this issue.

The forum email system is configured with SPF, DKIM and DMARC thus email "should be" fully authenticated as coming from the site.

No shortened URL's are provided in the email.

The site URL and IP address is not listed on any SPAM blocking site.

Full URL links to the relevant post in the forum is provided in the email being sent.

What I am seeing in the CPANEL logs at my end is many instances of "retry time not reached for any host for 'bigpond.com'" -each instance logged at the same time. Typically up to 5 such instances in sequence. At the end of this sequence "sometimes" the email lis accepted by BigPond but this is erratic.

The fact that sometimes the mail is accepted implies there is no content issue - ie the format of the email sent by the forum is fixed - only the post number changing. I have no other error detail.

I have configured DMARC with P=none to signal to a mail server (such a BigPond) to email back a log of errors - nothing received from BigPond thus I assume BigPond does not use DMARC.

Is there any process to get around this other than advise all forum members to abandon BigPond?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Email from a sailing forum I manage are being rejected by Bigpond mail servers

You need to forward copies of the bounce messages, along with when it started happening and your contact details to postmaster@bigpond.com (which is what the bounce message tells you to do).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: Email from a sailing forum I manage are being rejected by Bigpond mail servers

You need to forward copies of the bounce messages, along with when it started happening and your contact details to postmaster@bigpond.com (which is what the bounce message tells you to do).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit