CrowdSupport®
Rain100
Level 4: Private Eye

Emails duplicated in Outlook No Solution

Answered

Can anyone help please?

Have tens of thousands of emails being downloaded - all duplicates starting from a couple of years ago.

Telstra wont assist. They only send links to read & follow. Tried to do that. Unfortunately, instructions provided don't necessarily correspond to options given when it comes to changing settings etc. 

Telstra wont help unless you agree to pay extra. ie above what you pay already!

Disappointing given it was Telstra who instructed "how to" set up mail options initially.

Now it's seemingly a case of...if you can't fix it yourself then bad luck or pay up!

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Rain100
Accepted Solution

Re: Emails duplicated in Outlook No Solution

Hey thanks for reply and support. Appreciate your advice.

Rain100
Accepted Solution

It's a shame when you have an issue like this, and after spending most of the week-end on a Telstra chat to try and work through the issue...getting disconnected...trying to get past 'robot' help etc, that the agents on the other end (very polite) dont make any headway to resolve problem.

Telstra's definition of 'basic help' means bombarding you with "helpful" links of all kinds. It's like a search of anything in the system that had 'Outlook", 'emails', 'download', as part of the vocabulary and BOOM....every 'helpful' link related or not is sent to you via the chat.  

Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Have you set up a new computer,  or its this an existing instance of outlook that had suddenly started downloading old emails that you thought you had deleted?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Rain100,

I can understand your concern and hope that this can be resolved soon. In the event that our technical support team are unable to assist then I recommend raising a complaint and your case manager will follow this up further with you https://tel.st/wkupg. Let me know how you go. 

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Rain100
Accepted Solution

Hey thanks for reply and support. Appreciate your advice.

Rain100
Accepted Solution

It's a shame when you have an issue like this, and after spending most of the week-end on a Telstra chat to try and work through the issue...getting disconnected...trying to get past 'robot' help etc, that the agents on the other end (very polite) dont make any headway to resolve problem.

Telstra's definition of 'basic help' means bombarding you with "helpful" links of all kinds. It's like a search of anything in the system that had 'Outlook", 'emails', 'download', as part of the vocabulary and BOOM....every 'helpful' link related or not is sent to you via the chat.  

Accepted Solution

Have you set up a new computer,  or its this an existing instance of outlook that had suddenly started downloading old emails that you thought you had deleted?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Rain100

Thanks for response Jupiter.

Yes we have a relatively new laptop. 

Told by Telstra we needed to change settings from POP to IMAP.

All emails over the last few years have come in now. 

But was trying to avoid it happening again.

IMAP is the best setting to use as it keeps your mail synchronised across all devices. You can limit the amount of mail that comes across in Outlook by going to Account Settings and then in to Account Name and Sync Settings . In there you can limit the time period for which Outlook will download messages (I keep mine set at all and then Autoarchive messages to an external hard drive array to keep them backed up and to free up space on my mail server).

Rain100

I'll try and investigate to use your advice Jupiter.

Thank you for your time and effort in assisting.

Rain100

Bizarre thing has happened now! I deleted old & junk emails from server yesterday. Just filing and culling. There was still a thousand or so emails saved on server which I hadn't dealt with as yet.

Today...I check and there is 27 emails. Almost everything has disappeared. ?????

Rain100

Just got off Telstra Chat and the response to all but 27 or so emails vanishing was...

"We can't do anything once they are deleted". When I said we didn't delete emails...they started to say they can appreciate how inconvenient this is but please understand how they feel! Really??!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now