Highlighted
JimJ
Level 3: Gumshoe

Emails from Bank places in Junk

Answered

I don't know how your spam filter works but you should give your customers the choice of deciding what is spam and what is not.

When an email from Suncorp ends up in the Junk folder on webmail I think that you have better drop the filtering or give us the option of turning it off.

It is NOT working correctly.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Emails from Bank places in Junk

You can mark it as not spam and it should and then further emails from that specific address should land in your inbox
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Accepted Solution

If that's not working the other option would be to add the email address to the safe senders list

safesender.png

Junk filters have to constantly be made more stringent as spammers find new ways to try and bypass them. The unfortunate side effect and that some legitimate emails cause a 'false positive'. All mail providers have spam filtering else you would potentially receive 100's to 1000's of emails to your inbox per day (there are also a lot that trip enough red flags that you don't see them at all. Again this is across all mail providers), and very few would give you an option to turn it off

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Accepted Solution

You can mark it as not spam and it should and then further emails from that specific address should land in your inbox

JimJ

@Yastiandrie wrote:

I am sorry but that does not work. I looked this morning and an email is in my Junk folder that I have marked at least twice before as "not spam."

I do not normally use webmail but a combitation of Mailwasher and Thunderbird as I have several other email accounts I monitor ans use. I have had to set Mailwasher to check the Junk Folder.

The idea that we have to log on to the webmail just to mark emails from banks etc as "not spam" is, frankly, stupid. Especially where these emails were not classed as junk before.

Whatever has changed needs to be unchanged.

The "junk" system is broken. It needs fixing either by getting rid of it or giving us, your customers, the option of turning it off.

Why is Telstra/Bigpond monitoring our emails. Obiviously you have to read the emails to determine if thay are "junk."

Would that not be like AustPost opening our letters to see what they contain!!

Accepted Solution

If that's not working the other option would be to add the email address to the safe senders list

safesender.png

Junk filters have to constantly be made more stringent as spammers find new ways to try and bypass them. The unfortunate side effect and that some legitimate emails cause a 'false positive'. All mail providers have spam filtering else you would potentially receive 100's to 1000's of emails to your inbox per day (there are also a lot that trip enough red flags that you don't see them at all. Again this is across all mail providers), and very few would give you an option to turn it off

JimJ

OK I can accept that about spammers. But, an lot get through that raise suspicions as soon as I see the header. That is why I use Mailwasher.
But for emails from banks like Suncorp getting junked is a bit rich.Especially when I have been recieving emails from them since Suncorp started using emails.

Yeah probably some minor change i the wording or the external content in the email that's triggered it. TBH i agree that Telstra Mail's anti-spam can be very aggressive but i'd prefer it that way than the opposite

JimJ

It has just happened again.
An organisation, from which I have recieve many emails and was waiting on an important email I knew had been sent, just dumped in my junkbox.
I would rather control my own emails rather than have a "filter" do it for me.
As for accepting any of the above replies as a "solution," the only solution I will accept will be when I get a chance to turn off this filter.
Level 21: Augmented

@JimJ,SPAM filtering is highly complex problem. Companies like Telstra and many others are employing sophisticated methods (look for Bayesian, deterministic, statistic and other methods) to get rid of SPAM and also possible malware... My enterprise is filtering out about 80-90% of all e-mails coming to us as SPAM every day and yes, we do have some of "fals positives" too... But it is worth - we do receive something close to 20 millions of e-mails a day... So statistically even hundreds of lost e-mails are negligible... We used to have a "quarantined" system where people could review "blocked" e-mails, but we simply cannot afford cost of storage to do so and we simply drop whatever is deemed as SPAM or malware... I, personally, had problems with dropped legitimate e-mails, but I prefer having one or two a month lost than having 2,000 SPAM/Malware ones a month...

As for the reputable sources - I have been recently spammed and having phishing e-mails for sources as reputable as FedEx, Amex, ATO and many others...

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
JimJ

One suggestion was to mark an email as not spam and it should and then further emails from that specific address should land in your inbox.

Same old story.

Emails from a longstanding business that I have been dealing with for over 10 years are suddenly landing in the Junk Folder.

Logged in and marked "Not spam".

A week later the next two emails from that company end up in the Junk Folder.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now