CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
sajean46
Level 2: Rookie

Getting errors when sending/receiving email

Answered

This has just happened as of about 24 hours ago, no settings were changed, it just started.

I double checked the account settings, and it was set to 

POP3  pop3.live.com

SMTP smtp.live.com

I thought these were odd, so I doubled checked them online and found that these are the settings using Windows Live - I am using Windows Mail 6.1 (and no I don't like Windows Live Mail so would prefer not to swap to it if at all possible) Smiley Happy

Anyway, the settings suggested here: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/ms-outlook-express-5-5-to-6-0 (OE should be the same as Windows Mail yes?)  suggests the servers should both be set to: mail.bigpond.com

With that done, as soon as I hit send/receive I get a popup asking me to login to Bigpond Mail (and this happens regardless of having "My server requires authentication" in the mail settings ticked or not.   So I enter the username (I've tried both with & without the .bigpond.com) and the password and it just pops up again asking me to reenter it as if it is wrong - I know it isn't wrong, because this password works fine with webmail.

The error message I receive is this:

Account: 'Bigpond Mail', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR pop operation is not allowed for this user.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

If I put the servers back to the original pop3.live.com & smtp.live.com then I receive this:

The connection to the server has failed. Account: 'Bigpond Mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Getting errors when sending/receiving email

Well that's good news as at least you're account is still working.. Now if your only using this account ini win mail it might be better to remove and setup new but.....

What happens if you try these settings in windows mail?

Server tab

Incoming. pop3-mail.outlook.com
Outgoing. stmp-mail.outlook.com

E-mail username. yourfullemail@bigpond.com
Password. As you typed using web mail
Tick remember password
Don't tick Log on using Secure Password Authentication
Tick My server requires authentication. Press settings

Settings
Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server
Ok

Click the Advanced tab.

Tick both in coming and outgoing This server requires a secure connection

Change the outgoing port to 587 and make sure your incoming is 993

Ok

Now test

Finger crossed..

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
29 REPLIES 29

Hi there.

Mail.bigpond.com is being redundant and now the mail service is being handled by outlook.com/live.com/hotmail.com.

What happens if you goto https://login.live.com/ are you able to login with your credentials?

Cheers,
Dave

sajean46

Thanks for getting back to me Dave.   Yes the login works fine with https://login.live.com/  

So is it going to still be possible to use Windows Mail?   or is there no choice by to upgrade to Windows Live Mail?

The PC software Application, 'Windows Live Mail',  will still work ok.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.
sajean46

Yeah I had a feeling Windows Live Mail would still work, but as mentioned I'd like to avoid using if at all possible - it really is an ugly mail client compared to Outlook Express and Windows Mail.

Yes I liked Outlook Express, unfortunately Microsoft did away with it and yes it was a  very user friendly application, but they never upgraded it or coverted it over so it would work in Windows Vista or Windows 7.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

Accepted Solution

Well that's good news as at least you're account is still working.. Now if your only using this account ini win mail it might be better to remove and setup new but.....

What happens if you try these settings in windows mail?

Server tab

Incoming. pop3-mail.outlook.com
Outgoing. stmp-mail.outlook.com

E-mail username. yourfullemail@bigpond.com
Password. As you typed using web mail
Tick remember password
Don't tick Log on using Secure Password Authentication
Tick My server requires authentication. Press settings

Settings
Make sure Use same settings as my incoming mail server
Ok

Click the Advanced tab.

Tick both in coming and outgoing This server requires a secure connection

Change the outgoing port to 587 and make sure your incoming is 993

Ok

Now test

Finger crossed..

Cheers,
Dave

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Just to throw a tidbit into the convo Smiley Happy

WindowsLive the website (now Outlook.com) is not associated to Windows Live Mail the email client program. You are free to use whatever email client you prefer.

I know its a little confusing because they are basically the same name Smiley Tongue

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

sajean46

Finally fixed... 

Thanks to Caaf - it was nearly what I needed - incoming mail should be pop3-mail.outlook.com, apart from that the problem is now fixed.

Also found another page from BigPond which tells you which mail server you are on - I did that and received these setup instructions for Windows Mail:

Your mailbox is now with Outlook.com

Bigpond/Telstra Service (i.e. ADSL, HFC, Mobile Broadband)

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming IMAP server: imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Incoming IMAP mail: port 993
  • Outgoing SMTP server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Outgoing SMTP port: 587 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Incoming uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required) (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

I can not get it working with imap-mail.outlook.com - why would they tell me to use this?   Weird... very weird Bigpond.

Anyway, problem is now sorted - thanks to all that helped out.

Happy you sorted it.

Sorry for the typo. Typing to fast for my brain Smiley Tongue

Not that I'm bigpond but love IMAP as I like control over all my toys.

Cheers,
Dave

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Dave thanks for that, excellent work! 

No problems on the typo buddy, all fixed up for you as requested  Smiley Wink cheers!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

shell123

I haven't tried to set up outlook with IMAP
But i can access my mail via webmail, but can 't via outlook
I tried to log into live.com but get an error message indicates I don't have an account
That Microsoft account doesn't exist. Enter a different email address or get new account

But my account does work if I use webmail

It appears that my bigpond e-mail (outlook) isn't aligned with microsoft live.com

As I ca access e-mail via bigpond webmail, but not using the same username & password in outlook

Note my previous incoming mail server port was 995 (SSL) by I tried both 993 & 995 and can't get incoming or outgoing mail to work in MS outlook

shell123

IMAP doesn't work either
even with all the above settings

Hi Shell,

If you was to check here http://bigpond.com/email-status it should let you know where email currently reside and hopefully supply the relevant info you require.

Cheers,
Dave

shell123

My previous setting were using pop3
pop3.live.com
smtp.live.com
shell123

Thanks Dave
It looks like I am on the old system
I thought everyone was migrated to the new
I have had problems for some time now, but have a Hotmail account so this isn't normally an issue
Just very frustrating...
This is what the link indicated
Your mailbox has not yet been updated to Outlook.com.
•Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
•Incoming POP mail: port 995
•Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
•Outgoing SMTP: 587 or 465 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
•Incoming uses SSL: On (this is required)
•Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required)
•Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

I will try this, but strange my e-mail has been migrated across (I think this was my original settings)
shell123

Ok, looks like the old settings are what was required.
Up and running now

I will let the fact the previous e-mails indicated that I needed to update settings wash over me...

Thanks Dave, that link was the key to what was required.
Even if it makes no sense why I am on the old system.

Cool. Well at least you're now sorted. Maybe contact telstra directly and ask to be upgraded? Or if your happy and now that's it's not broke.... I think you know where I'm going.

Cheers,
Dave

shell123

OK,
worked the first time, now just sitting there locked up (when trying to send an e-mail)
So, if its broke, it needs to be fixed

Not sure what is required now to get this upgraded, but might go though the (painful) exercise of ringing tech support...
is your modem plugged in etc...

shell123

as this is supposed to be an automated process
they might just tell me its "working as expected"...

Your certainly not having much luck. Do a restart of everything. Then yeah maybe it's time to jump through some hoops.. I wonder if live chat could help?

http://livechat.telstra.com

If you'd like to continue with help maybe create a new thread as each time we correspond others within this thread get notified.

Cheers,
Dave

katmassard
Level 1: Cadet

I am having this same issue - although only with the outgoing mail server. 

I have recently transferred the hosting of my domain name.  And when I go to set it up with the same settings it will not work...

The error message that appears is 4.1.0 ... temporary failure

I have double checked all the settings, password etc and they are correct.

My mail program is Entourage on a mac and my hosting company is CrazyDomains

( I have other domains with CrazyDomains and they work perfectly within my email program)

I have since found out about all this migration business, but on investigating my account it tells me that the settings are still the same

kmassard@bigpond.com Your mailbox has not yet been updated to Outlook.com.

• Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 995
  • Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing SMTP: 587 or 465 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Incoming uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

It seems that the only problem is with the SMTP mail.bigpond.com

Is it an issue with my domain name - can I get it on an approved list or something?

How can I fix this - pulling my hair out!!!  I am trying to run a business around a yound family and time is a luxury I do not have...

Help

OMG_HELP
Level 4: Private Eye

Email - the simplest thing on earth, yet Telstra manages to suff it up for everyone.

I have a brand new cable account. My data usage meter is not working, again the simplest thing on earth, and the only way I can get my email is through the web as all setting as described on Telstras websites are incorrect.

It reminds me why i left Telstra years ago but I have no choice right now but to use Telstra. Very frustrating in the past, still very frustrating.

The bonus with the WWW is you are not required to use there mail infrastructure. Freedom of choice and can minus the negativity and get on with life.

Cheers,
Dave

OMG_HELP

That's not the point. I don't like giving up because it's too hard. I want my email in one place on my iPad, iPhone and Mac. Why should I have to log into different websites for each email account just because Telstra can't get their **bleep** together.
OMG_HELP

Just fixed it! The fault is with Telstra's instructions which leave out one very vital setting.

On'ya Telstra.

And what settings was that?

katmassard
Level 1: Cadet

Can you share the solution please - I would like to try too =)

OMG_HELP

It was a simple solution for me, not sure if it applies to others.

Since Telstra are using an outdated pop email standard, modern system not used to such antiquated standards, such as Outlook, need to be authorized to use it. 

You need to log into your Outlook account via your browser, click on settings (the little wheel in the top right corner), choose options.

Under "Managing your account" go to

Connect devices and apps with pop

and turn on pop.

That's it.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now