Highlighted
MrRotty
Level 3: Gumshoe

How To Set Up BigPond Email account in Windows 10

Answered

Hi

is anyone able to explain the STEPS to set up a bigpond.com email account in Mail Windows 10?

Pls.:  NO LINKS TO MICROSOFT WEBSITE, it doesn't help (not just me).

Tks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MrRotty
Accepted Solution

Re: How To Set Up BigPond Email account in Windows 10

Done!
Tks anyway.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
69 REPLIES 69
MrRotty
Accepted Solution

Done!
Tks anyway.
Bear007
Level 1: Cadet

How do I set up windows 10 for bigpond email

Alanthered
Level 2: Rookie

Where is the answer,i keep going round in circles    IS ANYBODY OUT THERE

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Alanthered

You've just got to use the manual account set-up option in Windows 10 Mail. 
So within the app go to 'Settings' - 'Accounts' - Add account. 
Then scroll down to Advanced Set Up and use these details: 

• OUTLOOK.COM MAIL SERVER
  • Account Type: IMAP (IMAP4)
  • Username & Password: Use complete BigPond Email Address & Password
  • Incoming Server (IMAP4): imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Incoming Server Port: 993
  • Incoming Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS
  • Outgoing Server (SMTP): smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Outgoing Server Port: 587
  • Outgoing Server Encryption: STARTTLS or TLS
  • Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes, same as incoming mail server (complete BigPond Email Address & Password)

• BIGPOND MAIL SERVER
  • Account Type: POP (POP3)
  • Incoming Server (POP3): mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming Server Port: 995
  • Incoming Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)
  • Outgoing Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing Server Port: 465
  • Outgoing Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)
  • Outgoing Server Authentication: Yes, same as incoming mail server (complete BigPond Email Address & Password)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Eddycurtmac

Hi Steph, thanks for your help, but my problem is it won't sync. How does this happen? 

Thanks

Eddycurtmac

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Eddycurtmac, 

Please let us know the error message you are getting, this can help us in diagnosing the issue.

There are two different mail platforms, so I'd suggest plugging your email address into the following web tool.  It will provide you with the correct settings you need in order to get your email working.

http://www.telstra.com/emailservercheck

- Ben 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

pjab

Ben,

I am having the same problem.  I have set the account for outlook and it will not sync and keeps telling me my bigpond mail settings are out of date.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pjab,

Are you using the settings that are provided when you log in using the link that Ben provided in  his last response?

- Shelly

Alanthered

i am having the same problem,tells me my settings are out of date.I put my password in :save it and it will not sync,

It would be nice to find an answer somewhere.

5Peanut

It doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get my BigPond email to sync in Windows 10. I have tried all combinations. Help please.

Deearress

This is becoming a nightmare.. going around and round in circles

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you please confirm the email settings  and email program that you are using on the Windows 10 computer?

- Shelly

CAJETAN

Jasper1912

I have a bigpond email account in Windows 10 which has been working fine. My problem is with the 'people' app which has my contacts for Outlook but not Bigpond - Bigpond does not show up as an option to tick. I tried adding a new account but I just get told an account already exists andcan go no futher. Any assistance?.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Jasper,

Which platform is your BigPond email hosted on? Outlook.com or Myconnect?

Brodie

elizabiz

I can not see my current contacts which are in my bigpond mail account .

I have tried the exact same process as Jasper1912  with the same result .

Any assistance would be appreciated.

How do I see my contacts in the people app?

Thanks

Jasper1912

Oops - not sure, how do I tell?

Jeff

RobLo

The instructions you've provided do not match the Mail app boxes in Windows 10. There is no place that I can find to enter the Server Port details. I have an un-upgraded bigpond.net.au email. So like others on this thread i have not been unable to get the Mail app to Sync despite everything else being correct. Would appreciate some advice that actually reflects what the app allows tio be entered.

Meanwhile the Outlook program in Windows 10 is working just fine, but the Mail app seems to be what Windows would prefer used given the way the interface works in Win10.

Thank

Support Team
Support Team

Hey elizabiz,

I'm sorry that this has not worked correctly for you and other customers on this thread as well Smiley Sad

I will be having this escalated to our Tech Team for further assistance when they are back in the office after 9am EST Tuesday. This thread will be assigned to their queue so that we can have the correct information provided to you and the community. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You can change the default mail program within Windows settings as described here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/change-the-default-e-mail-program

A quick web search will provide several other sources that provide further detail on this process.

- Shelly

jemonro

I am having the same problem. Upgraded to Windows 10 today. Under Windows 8.1 WIndows mail was working. I tried to follow the instructions above, but the options were different, in particular the security options. Now that I have created the account I cannot see its settings (such as server and port number) to edit them.

I have had a couple of requests to update the password, but it is correct, and I can get to the acount on webmail (WIndows media). I don't have the Outlook program (at least I don't think I do).

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jemonro 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you.  As this team only work Monday to Friday, the earliest you can expect to hear from them is Monday. 

Kind Regards 

RonBunting

what you have linked to is vista. who in their right mind would have vista?????? the problems lay with 10 and the lack of support from both microsoft and telstra. 

What everyone ,including myself , wants to know is  ' how do we sync the enmails , how do we connnect the telstra webmail to the windows 10 email , why doesn't this system work... ." etc etc etc . 

Dazzzzza

Hi all, after many frustrating hours and encountering sync problems I found an answer.

with Windows 10 mail I did the following,

Accounts

add account

choose an account- outlook

put in email and password

sign in

click done

your newly set up account should be in Accounts heading

right click on your new account

select Account settings

THE FOLLOWING STEP IS THE IMPORTANT ONE

just change account name and nothing else then Save

right click on your newly set up account under Accounts heading AGAIN

Then you should be able to access the Change mailbox sync settings

change Download email from to anytime

click done

click save

Then you won't have sync problem

Darren

renzob

Kevin721

I am using IMAP having all sorts of trouble just want to set up that works

Bry1

trying to set-up windows live mail with my new bigpond email address. Apparently it should be POP3 but it shows IMAP and despite what others say THERE IS NO DROPDOWN OPTION TO CHANGE TO POP OR ANYTHING ELSE.

I have uninstalled windows live mail a dozen times but it always comes up the same IMAP OR NOTHING ...no I take that back there is no option of nothing either

BrianH

petersambell

I've recently had the same problem setting up a mail account on a new Windows 10 PC and finally gave up and called Telstra.

They finally solved the problem so that the account does Sync now.

All they had to do was to untick the 4 boxes under the sync settings including:

-  Outgoing server requires authentication

-  Use the same user name....  (but this will stay ticked in grey after)

-  Require SSL for incoming mail

-  Require SSL for outgoing mail

So now my mail syncs and I can send/receive messages.  But the Mail program on Windows 10 is a waste of time.

*  You cannot create folders, (they have to be created on the web first to then appear in Mail)

*  You do not have the ability to import your old emails or imprt your old contacts

*  Mail is sort of linked to the 'PEOPLE' app on Windows 10 but it only allows you to exprt, not imprt.

Seems like Microsoft are making it hard so everyone will pay for Outlook.

Leroiter

This worked beautifully for me!

Leroiter!
oldbloke80

New computer has windows 10, very confusing for an old feller! How do I get my emails to sync so I can receive them?

DHTR

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi DHTR 

So that we can get the best advice for you, I'll be forwarding your concerns to our Social Media Tech team so that they can touch base with you later in the day. 

AlisaBey

I used to think iTunes was the worst program know to mankind until I tried to configure this Mail app!

What an absolute joke of a program.

PhilboBaggins

I have the same problem with a friends brand new activated Windows 10 PC.

ALL information on the web is either incorrect or not nailing it for Windows 10 specifically.

This crowd-supported site is not the be-all and end-all of support for people looking for

technical solutions. There are times when the experts need to poke their heads up and

say hello not just talky-talky persons..

What happeded to the escalation from back in February?

Why did a support person feel the need to explain how to change the default mail program?

Was that ever a question here?

I firmly believe their is no one at Telstra whos job it is to look at this probelm let alone fix

it but prove me wrong!

A nice step-by-step on how to sync a Bigpond account to Windows 10 Mail focusing on the

CORRECT numbers used and boxes to tick or leave unticked.

Is their an SME there? Hello?

Hello?

PhilboBaggins

Dazzzzza wrote:

Hi all, after many frustrating hours and encountering sync problems I found an answer.

with Windows 10 mail I did the following,

Accounts

add account

choose an account- outlook

put in email and password

etc, etc, etc

That solution WILL NOT WORK for access to Bigpond servers. Thanks for more

disinformation and water muddying. Sheesh!

telstrauser2

Hi All,

i had success after many hours and fixed the problem using the below solution.

Add account

advanced set-up

follow the following settings posted by telstra

BIGPOND MAIL SERVER

• Account Type: POP (POP3)
  • Incoming Server (POP3): mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming Server Port: 995
  • Incoming Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)
  • Outgoing Server (SMTP): mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing Server Port: 465
  • Outgoing Server Encryption: SSL or SSL/TLS (not STARTTLS)

you wont be able to put in the port numbers.

before hitting enter UNTICK ALL 4 BOXES at the bottom for server authentication.

That worked for me.

Best of luck

GG5163

You're all a bunch of time wasting fools.  I have spent the last hour trying all the "experts" suggestions to no avail.  Why don't you "know it alls" just admit that you are clutching at straws, you have no idea and you are really just a bunch of boring wannabees that like to think you have the answer to every tech problem.

I have resigned myself to the fact that Windows 10 mail does not work with a Bigpond mail account.

Give up!

Dee_Dee8

I've been going around and around in frustrating circles for 2 days now, trying everything recommended with nothing working.  

FINALLY I have success, email sends and receives.  

What I did -

On setting up email account on the new laptop, TURN the internet OFF on your old laptop.
AND make sure the apps are turned on for 'contacts' & 'calendar'.  Like magic it now works, I think the apps were stopping the connection from sending/receiving.

If I can do it, you all can too. 

Now, how to figure out how to import my contacts when there's no such icon in windows 10 mail!

Good luck Smiley Happy

rober1972

Steph,

With all due respect, your instructions are absolutley hopeless - you really need to improve on your methodology!

meran1

This worked for me. Many thanks. I'm not very techno savvy but this was very helpful.
meran1

This worked for me. Many thanks. I'm not very techno savvy but this was very helpful. Thanks telstrauser2
KK57

I have been trying to resolve an issue with this since late last week. I got no help from Tech support. It's quite frustrating as i have not had issues with windows 10 prior to now. Not happy with Telstra but none of the other ISP's are any better. Glad I did a google search to see if I could find an answer. Hoping that this fix will work.

KK57

These steps don't work. I keep geting an error cannot find the email server. verify server information. so sick of this issue.

PatRatilova

Here is my attempt at step by step instructions for everyone on windows 10

*click open mail 

*down the bottom look for the Settings icon >click

*Manage accounts will come open >click + add accounts ( any stuff up will need to be deleted until you get this right ,dont keep setups that you create ,that dont work ! ) 

*Choose an account -will open> click @ Advanced Setup then choose INTERNET EMAIL

* Now Start entering info similar to this into the boxes but your own of course , each box will follow these typical examples 

Jack and Jill Hill

Mr and Mrs Hill 

mail.bigpond.com

POP3

bucketofwater1@bigpond.com ( parody use your own ) 

bucketofwater1@bigpond.com

mail.bigpond.com

untick all the 4 boxes

*click sign in 

Disydoo

Re: Organising emails on Windows 10

Have just updated my laptop from Vista.  Do I need Outlook installed to be able to organise folders for incoming emails as well as creating groups and contacts?  At the moment emails are coming thru with Bigpond Email?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Disydoo

Apologies for the delay in responding. Has this matter been followed up on since your post? 

Disydoo

Haven't sorted out organising emails with Bigpond Email - think I will need to get Outlook for my computer. Can I install Outlook 2010 for my new computer with Windows 10?   Have worked out using the People app for my contacts though.  Nothing is as convenient as my old laptop with Vista!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now