Answered

I want to block a specific email sender. I use Outlook Express and IE

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: How to block an email sender

I would suggest having a read of the following article on the Microsoft Help site;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398733

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
34 REPLIES 34
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

I would suggest having a read of the following article on the Microsoft Help site;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398733

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bosunboy
Level 2: Rookie

I am using bigpond webmail. How do I block a sender in my email? Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

You should be able to do this in the settings of your webmail.

Try going to Settings, Messages then Rules. From there you can set up a rule to send all of the unwanted emails to your junk folder.

Hope this helps.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

bosunboy

Hi Jesse.  When I go to settings it says there is a technical failure. I checked for "outages" as suggested there, but it says any outages are resolved. Tahnks for your respose Jesse

Support Team
Support Team

In that case, your best bet will be to contact our tech team on 133933 to check it out.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Jugehu

Hi

I also want to block a sender. I tried the advice above but there is no link from Settings to Messages (either in WebMail Settings or BigPond Settings). I tried all the other options but I can not find "Rules".

I tried the call centre and they said it can't be done - I have to block on each device. Surely not?? It must be possible to block a sender at BigPond before it gets to an email client?

Can you help with this, please?

Many thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jugehu,

If you are using My Connect, you need to go into the Settings, select the Messages tab and then Rules tab as shown in the picture.

Alternatively, you may like to consider migrating your BigPond mailbox across to the new mail platform hosted on http://outlook.com. We have been migrating customers since February 2012 and customers can opt in at a time of their choosing rather than waiting for the automatic migration to occur.

Customers can use this link to request the migration but to prevent any issues with this request completing, make sure that the mailbox password meets the new requirements which is between 8-16 characters in length and containing at least one of each character type: lower case, upper case, numerals.

It is also recommended that any contacts stored within webmail are saved as sometimes are unable to be migrated across. Also, any emails within folders in webmail will be migrated to Outlook.com and placed in the Inbox which will trigger them to be downloaded again. I would recommend cleaning out any unwanted emails from webmail prior to submitting the migration request to prevent further duplication.

Once migrated, customers may need to log into OneDrive and accept the terms and conditions to complete the process.

Customers will also need to update each email program with the new settings which can also be found on the previous link.

One of the main benefits of the new mail platform is that it supports IMAP which means that all of the emails will be synchronised across all devices once configured.

The status of the mailbox migration can be checked using this link.

- Shelly

Jugehu

Thanks Shelley

THis didnt get me far. I rarely use WebMail and have not heard of MyConnect. When I go to BigpOnd I see big helpful icons taking me the WebMail, Primary Mailbox, Webmail Inbox etc etc but nothing called MyConnect.

If it is possible to set up a rule without migrating my account anywhere, I would like to do that.

Cheers

Can I do this from my BigPond webmail account?

Glenn

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

When you log into webmail you will see MyConnect in the top left hand corner or not depending on the link you use to log in.

- Shelly

Jugehu

Thanks Shelly

Here is the top left of my screen:

webmail screen1.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Ahh, you cannot set the email rules from that view. [http://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin]

Normally, if you log in via http://basic.messaging.bigpond.com/basic/inbox.do you should get a different view which will allow you to set the rules as per the previous instructions.

- Shelly

Jugehu

Nope. I have logged out, closed and re-opened IE, etc, and then used that link you provided - it takes me to exactly the same webmail page as before

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I will send you a private message so that we can get this looked into further for you.

- Shelly

Jugehu

OK, so for those who are interested and may be following this thread, this is what I have found....

CrowdSupport - this is really fun, but I suggest you take a week off work so that you can spend all day exchanging messages. Oh, and you might not get any helpful solution, but at least you know you are alive.

If it gets too hard, you may enter the world of private messaging. This is a scary place. You may or may not receive the promised message, so it pays to keep asking.

At this stage, you have learned that there probably is a way to block a sender, but you just can't get to the right link. This means you will have to start all over again, by filling out a form with all the details. Oh and you will have to wait 3-5 days for a reply. In case you think - wait a minute, I am a paying customer who has spent a lot of time already explaining my problem to Support, so why do I have to fill out a new form and wait 5 days? Can't Australia's largest telco just CALL ME? -  forget it. It seems BigPond has several divisions of "support" who are incapable of talking to each other.

My recommendation is: ring Tech Support on 133 933. They will tell you that i) it is not possible to block a sender with a rule, without paying for filtering; so ii) use the "report as spam" button in WebMail .This, apparently, only blocks the sender from your account but does not necessarily "report" the sender as a spammer with wider consequences. Even tho "report as spam" seems to imply just that.

I have no idea which version is right.

Thanks BigPond - it's been fun

Jugehu

So I still have no resolution to this.

A guy did call me, I explained the problem all over again, he took some details....

When he called back I was at work and couldn't answer the phone. So he left me a call back number -- yep it was the standard support call center number, not a direct line. So I could have the privilege of joining the queue all over again.

That was 2 weeks ago. Nothing since.

No doubt all of the support people have recorded this problem as "resolved" so their monthly stats look better.

What a joke.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know Jugehu,

I'll flag this post so Shelly can follow up on Monday about it.

-Dylan

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jugehu,

If you can provide us with the reference number you received when you filled out the web form, that Shelly sent via Private Message, I can get someone to follow it up for you.  The reference number would have started with an SR 1-xxx....

I've also noticed you mentioned you wish to '"report" the sender as a spammer with wider consequences.'  Apart from setting up some rules on your webmail server which direct the offending email to the junk folder you can also contact the spammers ISP and report them.   

We have a form that you can fill out 'Report Misuse of Service' here: https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

If the spammers email address originates from another ISPs network, you should report the event to that ISP via their website.

For example if it is a Gmail account you can click here: https://support.google.com/mail/topic/3406270?hl=en&ref_topic=3394215

Or for  a Hotmail/MSN/Live account, you can send them an email.  Non- Hotmail customers should address an email to report_spam@hotmail.com, report_spam@msn.com or report_spam@live.com (Depending on the originating mail domain: hotmail or msn or live). Attach a copy of the spam email to this email and send it.

A web search should be able to provide you with links to other webmail and internet service providers 'Report Spam' web pages.

- Ben D

Jugehu

Thanks Ben

1. I don't wish to report as spam. I am not being spammed. It is a private sender that I want to block. But this was the only option given to me by telephone support.

2. I did not, and will not, fill out a form. BigPond support now has more than enough information on which to proceed to help me.

3. If YOU are able to send ME a job number that would be great.

4. Ideally, someone will call me to help with this. This should be someone who knows how I can block,at your server level, an email address from sending emails to me. I do NOT want have to block this on every device on which I receive emails.

5. If someone calls me and can not reach me, I need a telephone number on which I can call someone who knows about my job. Not the 133 number that puts me in the queue.

Cheers

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Jugehu,

In order for us to assist you further with this, we do require that you submit the form, so that we can have this escalated to the appropriate team who will be able to resolve the issue in regards to the version of webmail that you view.  

As you are not seeing the My Connect view when logging in, you are unable to set up the rules to automatically delete the emails.

Alternatively, if you access your emails through an email client, you can set rules within that program to automatically move senders to the Junk folder where you won't see them. This last option depends greatly on the email program that you choose.

- Shelly

Jugehu

Ben

I give up.

Jugehu

PS please don't record this issue as "resolved" in your KPI report

Rob55
Level 1: Cadet

Try this for Webmail rules.

This is my first blog but I think this is a link to the rules .

https://basic.messaging.bigpond.com/basic/settings/rules.do

Kricket

Hi there

I get heaps (meaning at least 20) emails per day with peoples names not company's etc with some very sordid comments in the subject matter...... How can i stop this from happening... i can get up to 160 per week its driving me nuts.... PLEASE HELP !!!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

hi Kricket

Have you had a look through the posts above regarding how to block these emails.? There are some great hints,

What Security Package are you running? Is it up to date? 

-   Lindy

Kricket

HI

I am running AVG Smiley Happy

Calypso2

Dear telstra...wouldnt it be a heck of a lot simpler if your webmail site was more user friendly and allow users to just "block sender" as is possible with Outlook?

I am soooo bored with offers to increase body parts which I do not have. every day I 'report spam' from the same sites and every day I receive the same junk.

Yes I DO receive my mail through Outlook and I do not receive the junk there, but my webmail page is constantly clogged with spam and I consider it unusable, having to scroll down a list of stupidity to find my real mail.

Get with it telstra and improve your page!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Calypso2,

Thanks for your feedback. 

I would recommend adjusting a few settings within your Outlook, namely the advanced options where it will delete the copy stored on the server after it has been deleted and/or a set period of time.

Alternatively, you can set an email rule to move all emails with certain words in the subject/body or from certain email domains/specific email addresses to be moved directly to the Junk or Trash folder.

I believe that this should resolve your issues.

- Shelly

TinaOD

I'm also trying to block senders. I can see Rules, however when I set up a rule, it won't save it. I want to create multiple rules, however none of them will save  (and yes I've checked the terms and conditions...)

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TinaOD

So we can get the correct information for you,  Which email client and which version are you currently using?

-    Regards 

Xrystal

Thank you Rob55. Plain guidance. Resolved my issue.

Mike26

Jesse.

Rules based filtering works if the senders email address is known; but I'm getting 50 spam emails per day on my Bigpond Webmail account from email addresses that are displayed as "Unknown".  Some have obvious spam Subjects, e.g. $1OOO.  Many of these have the same IP addresses and come from the same ISP's, e.g.:

IP = 61.9.168.137 = Foxcloud (phone +44 (845) 1541419)

IP = 185.103.18.196 = CJ2

Some seem to be hosted on Telstra servers (nschwmtas06p.mx.bigpond.com)

If I'm getting these Spam emails when using Webmail - I'm sure thousands of other Bigpond Users are getting these too!

I regularly click on "Junk - Phishing"; but nothing seems to be done by Telstra.

I do not get these spam emails when using: Gmail or Hotwail accounts.

Telstra need to identify the common spamming IP addresses and:

-  contact the ISP's

-  block the IP addresses

-  block emails with dodgy Subjects, e.g. $1OOO ("O's" instead of "0's"), etc

05hock

I too am getting heaps of "Unknown" emails each week. It is driving me crazy and I cannot block them as the user name is "unknown". 

Should be rectified by Telstra immediately. I never have this problem with Gmail.

Fed up!!

robnos

Hi, Like Mike26 and 05hock I am also getting 10-20 emails a day with very explicit subject headings. The sender comes through with a different name each time so it is difficult to make up a rule to block it.

Like Mike26 reported they seems to be hosted on Telstra servers (nschwmtas06p.mx.bigpond.com).   The latest email was "Received: from nschwcmgw01p ([61.9.190.161]) by nschwmtas06p.mx.bigpond.com".

I have already reported it by filling in a form at 'Report Misuse of Service'. If this is being sent from a Telstra host can Telstra please block it.

The email subject headings are very offensive and I can not imagine what I would see if I clicked on the link inside the email! It is also driving me crazy.  Help!

gerjan

How can unwanted emails be blocked

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Emails from a specific sender cannot be blocked in the same manner that you would block a phone number on your mobile. 

Telstra Mail does have a block list that you can add to via the Inbox. This option is found under More. You can also mark the email as spam before blocking the sender and deleting the email.

The other way would be to set up a rule to automatically divert emails from a specific email address to the Junk or Deleted folder. 

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now