CrowdSupport®
fixthisnow
Level 2: Rookie

How to stop spam emails on my iPad using BigPond email address

Lately I have been inundated with spam emails. When using my desktop computer using Windows live mail and my BigPond email account most of these go straight into the spam folder. However when accessing my BigPond emails from my iPad via wifi they all keep coming into my inbox. I try not to open them and move them to the junk email folder on my iPad but this hasn't stopped them. What can I do?

Fed Up!

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES 22
Level 23: Superhero

Re: How to stop spam emails on my iPad using BigPond email address

Seems as though the effective spam filtering is being done by Windows Live Mail, the program, rather than the email service itself.

You can try marking them as spam, rather than just moving them into the folder, if this is possible. Often this can 'train' a client/server to better recognise spam.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi fixthisnow,

As Kalak said the best thing you can do to stop spam is to mark those emails as spam in your webmail service when you see them, that helps our spam filters identify those emails more easily.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

fixthisnow

There is nowhere to mark as spam when viewing the emails on my iPad. By the way I have been marking them as spam when on my pc and reporting them as spam in BigPond webmail but to no effect. So do you have anymore ideas for the iPad?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi fixthisnow,

This is because the iPad's standard Mail application doesn't have the ability to mark them as spam, they can mark them as trash but not spam.

I'd recommend logging into your Telstra Mail Migration Tool here https://emailupdate.telstra.com/consumeremail/home where you can set when you would like your Bigpond email account migrated to the new platform, which has an improved spam management system to help reduce this.

- Jarred

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Mum63
Level 1: Cadet

Did that and no changes. Spam till flooding in

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Mum63 - You can set rules to move emails with key words or from certain domains directly into the junk or deleted folders. This can be done by logging into your BigPond mailbox on https://email.telstra.com

- Shelly

Lotto

I have contacted Telstra support to no evail re huge amounts of spam.  Believe I have been migrated to the new mail server.  Have marked all spam as spam and then deleted.  Cannot see how to set up a rule.  Do not understand why since Dec I am getting in access of 200 spam per day.  Have just spent 4 hours marking and deleting over 6000 spam.  Help please.  I am happy to continue using Telstra email service however find it unreasonable that there is no filter for spam. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or has anyone found a spam solution for Telstra Mail?

dansthyarra

Haha... The new 'improved' Telstra mail system actually has NO SPAM FILTER!

So annoying... 100's of rubbish emails every day.

dansthyarra

Believe it or not... I'm told by Telstra that there is no solution yet!

I'm surprised their incompetence has not received wider publicity.

So annoying.

JBD1

It shouldn't be necessary. Telstra have completely abdicated their responsibility in this matter.
The usual guff about not wanting to stop legitimate emails is nonsense, some are so obviously spam this s statement is a joke
Lucy18

DGjms

Where is the spam filter on my IPad...will this stop unwanted emails. I currently are binning and deleting!

Patrish

I use a Samsung tablet and it has a crossed circle which is supposed to block spam, but it still keeps coming back, unless I go into Telstra webmail and delete it as spam .. most annoying! 

Jade5

So typical of Telstra to not give a damn about it's long suffering, loyal, "we-pay-your-wages" customers. Appalling company. HELP WITH THIS SPAM PROBLEM.
Samsung1

How can I stop all the stupid spam emails for my husband and me,I go into settings,spam,delete,then I go to all spam and remove,now I am at my wits end,40/50 a day,this is insane,would it be better to call tel straight to do something ???????

Wb76

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, 

You can't do this on your iPad, you'll need to be logged into the Webmail platform in order to mark email as spam.

In order to log into the Webmail platform, please get out your laptop and click on the following link Webmail , alternatively you can copy and paste this link https://email.telstra.com/  When prompted please log in using your email address and password. You will then be in the right place where you can mark emails as spam and create your Blocked Senders list.

Once you're logged into the Webmail platform you can mark an email as spam.  On another thread in Crowdsupport (here), I've provided instructions on how to mark an email as spam.

The instructions on how to add a spammers domain to the Blocked Senders list in Webmail are as follows: 

• You can edit your Blocked Sender list in the settings.  
  • Go to Settings (upper right of the webmail screen), then click on Mail (on the far left of the screen) you'll see in the drop down list which appear a Blocked senders option.
  • Click on it and add domains.  
  • To make it effective please follow Shelly's instructions in the last two paragraphs of her post (above).

Once this has been done it will work on the server level and spam shouldn't appear on your iPad.

mtdbr

Re: how to block spam from my bigpond account

How to block spam on i-pad

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi mtdbr, 

You're not able to do this on your iPad, however in my post above you'll see the instructions on how to do this in your web mail, which will filter down to your iPad.

You can also use the 'mark as spam' option in Webmail too.

Somuchspam

I'm so frustrated by all the spam I'm getting.  It only started about a month ago but I'm now getting nearly 200 spam messages a day.

I've set up both users and domains in the Blocked Sender section of Telstra Webmail as well as setting up over 40 rules to catch emails that contain specific words like 'dating', 'Diet', etc. and have them sent to the Junk folder....but it simply doesn't work!!

I'm now considering killing off the email address and creating a new one and I'm sure you understand how drastic that is but what else can I do?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Somuchspam,

There have been a lot of great suggestions on this thread, I would also check out the following to see if there's something you haven't tried yet that might help. How to report or complain about spam

Hope things improve soon.

Angela 

Gohawks6

This method should not be necessary. You try and block 30+ domains every day !!!! Telstra Platinum which I receive for free at the moment as a complimentary service because of the spam, cannot fix it either. The spam filters ar almost non existent and the only way to resolve is divert all emails to Gmail which have 1st class filters. Telstra is letting down its customers, who pay a premium for their service in Oz and have no intention of fixing this problem. I will be migrating all my contacts with bigpond address to Gmail and by the way Icloud email address also filters and puts

@Kenobi wrote:

Hi, 

You can't do this on your iPad, you'll need to be logged into the Webmail platform in order to mark email as spam.

In order to log into the Webmail platform, please get out your laptop and click on the following link Webmail , alternatively you can copy and paste this link https://email.telstra.com/  When prompted please log in using your email address and password. You will then be in the right place where you can mark emails as spam and create your Blocked Senders list.

Once you're logged into the Webmail platform you can mark an email as spam.  On another thread in Crowdsupport (here), I've provided instructions on how to mark an email as spam.

The instructions on how to add a spammers domain to the Blocked Senders list in Webmail are as follows: 

• You can edit your Blocked Sender list in the settings.  
  • Go to Settings (upper right of the webmail screen), then click on Mail (on the far left of the screen) you'll see in the drop down list which appear a Blocked senders option.
  • Click on it and add domains.  
  • To make it effective please follow Shelly's instructions in the last two paragraphs of her post (above).

Once this has been done it will work on the server level and spam shouldn't appear on your iPad.

into to spam no problem.  Telstra needs to get their act together, wish I had stayed in the POP servers.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now