CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Maida72
Level 1: Cadet

Hundreds of emails with Mail System Error - Returned Mail

Answered

Hi everyone,

I am receiveing HUNDREDS (300-400) of emails a day with the subject line: Mail System Error – Returned Mail‏.

The contents of the one of the emails is below.

Looking at the forums it looks like is spam but how do I stop it.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mail Administrator [mailtoSmiley Tongueostmaster@mx.bigpond.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 27 November 2013 5:56 AM
To: ???@bigpond.net.au
Subject: Mail System Error - Returned Mail

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not reachable within the allowed queue period.  The amount of time a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configura- tion parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 5 days and 0 hours.

Host wonadoo.fr is not responding.

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<jean-pierre.moreau45@wonadoo.fr>

Please reply to <Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com> if you feel this message to be in error.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Hundreds of emails with Mail System Error - Returned Mail

Hey Maida,

It could be that the email has been compromised. This can indicate that someone has access to your email and is using it to spam other emails. I would suggest resetting your password ASAP and checking over the settings of the email to see if any email forwarding has been placed. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Maida,

It could be that the email has been compromised. This can indicate that someone has access to your email and is using it to spam other emails. I would suggest resetting your password ASAP and checking over the settings of the email to see if any email forwarding has been placed. 

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

kevin2012

i am having the exact same problem and all telstra do is say change your password

i did change my password and it is sill happening

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Kevin,

Have you checked over the settings of the email? It could be still occurring if the emails are being forwarded. Changing the password isn't enough on its own.

Brodie

Homith

G'day This is happening to my parents email at BigPond as well., They are being bombarded with a few 100's of Mail System Error - Returned Mail email messages per day. They are coming from Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com. They have changed their email account password and I have checked to ensure there are no forwarding rules in place. How do we stop this from happening. They nearly missed paying the bill as it was in the middle of all the SPAM that they are reciving.

Cheers

Support Team
Support Team

You can report this sort of spam from a BigPond service to us so we can investigate. Just go here: https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

Homith

I have done this (reported misuse of service) and every night taking my time to go through the multi 100's of mail and mark them as 'Report As Spam. Still they keep coming. How can I stop these?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you are using an email management program such as Microsoft Outlook you can set a rule that will have all emails received with the same subject put into a folder that you create. This will have all emails with that subject filtered into that one folder and then you can have them deleted from that folder and not affecting your inbox at all. For tips on setting up a rule for selected emails please check the help file for Microsoft Outlook. 

dot_kangaroo

Is ther a fix for this problem yet????

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Dot Kangaroo, 

This error generally occurs when the email has been compromised. If this is occurring to you I'd suggest resetting the password and checking over the forwarding settings on the email.

Brodie

dot_kangaroo

I am still receiving spam emails although most are ending up in the deleted items folder as I block senders as new ones are received. I now send myself an email and then delete it so this message is the most recent in my deleted items folder,so I can check the contents of that folder without inadvertently openning a spam email. I then delete the contents of the deleted items folder on my computer, then go into webmail and report them as spam. Anybody else still having this problem or found a brilliant solution?

dot_kangaroo

Dear Brody:

I turned on my computer this morning but when I connected to Outlook Express it asked for my password (which is saved on my computer) so I usually don't get this mesage. When I entered password the message returned. The problem reads:

Jan 22 2014

There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was rejected. Account: 'Dot Lewis', Server: 'mail.bigpond.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid user name or password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92

I have now tried to access mail on my labtop and get the same response.

I have not changed any settings. Have Telstra changed something?

Funnily enough I can access webmail (for the moment!!!) and I was able to send a test message in Outlook Express which was unexpected.

Can you help?

Thanks

Dot

PS I did a Malwarebytes complete scan of my desktop computer but nothing was found.

Cheers

D

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Dot,

0x800CCC92 usually indicates the password is incorrect. Without looking at your account, I'm unsure if anything has been changed on our end. You might need to give us a call to reset the password again, just in case.

Brodie

DavidHogg

Unfortunately Telstra keep churning out this mantra of "Your account has been compromised.... change your password".  This won't help.  There is nothing you can do about this problem (short of changing your email address); just sit tight and wait until the storm subsides.    What has happened is that the computer of one of your friends has been compromised, The perpetrator has stolen your email address from the contacts list in your friends computer, and is using your address to send out spam email in your name.  Since many of the people they are sending the spam to don't exist any more, the bounce message comes back to you.   Just delete the messages.  The problem will go away after a while.

Peeved_telstra

Thanks David

This problem just started for me last night. I will contact the last few people that sent me e-mails and get them to check and fix their systems.

Rohmer

I have been getting these Mail error messages for a month now. I have reported them as spam to Telstra via my webmail. They haven't subsided yet.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Rohmer,

These error messages usually indicate that your email has been compromised. When this happens, your email is used as a base to forward out mass amounts of spam, the returned mail message is due to the email being sent from you being rejected by the recipient.

If you haven't already, reset your password to something completely different. You should see a significant drop in the amount of messages coming through.

Brodie

erniemernie

Hi,

I am receiving this error message as a 'reply' to any email I send from my Yahoo address via to Outlook v7. I'm only getting this Mail System Error message in response to emails I send from Outlook and not Yahoo directly. It seems to only be an issue within Outlook. Can you help me please? I've changed my password and it keeps on happening. The message reads...

Subject: Mail Administrator [Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com]

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Your message was not delivered because the destination computer refused to accept it (the error message is reproduced below).  This type of error is usually due to a mis-configured account or mail delivery system on the destination computer; however, it could be caused by your message since some mail systems refuse messages with invalid header information, or if they are too large.

Your message was rejected by mta5.am0.yahoodns.net for the following reason:

5.7.9 Message not accepted for policy reasons.  See https://help.yahoo.com/kb/postmaster/SLN7253.html

The following recipients did not receive this message:

<email address goes HERE>

Please reply to <Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com> if you feel this message to be in error.

The following attachments have been removed from the bounce message.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey erniemernie,

Is there any pattern to what addresses you attempt to send mail that result in this error?

Robpatto

I have read through all of your responses to peoples anguish about the hundreds of these "Mail Administrator" emails that they (and I) are receiving daily.

Your responses remind me greatly of the TV show "The I.T. Crowd" and the standard response to any in house computer problem of "have you tried turning it off then back on again".

Reporting spam tp Telstra is a total waste of time and I'm now positive you filter all such reports directly to the rubbish bin.

Do your job and spend some of the $billions you make from your customers and provide us with a safe and secure email system.

Sagesilver

Thank you David. Its my experience that what you have descibed is correct. People can still setup rules in Outlook to send the messages to the trash, however. And Telstra should research this issue a little more so they can give correct advice to their customers.

Pauline10

Greetings,

This has been happening for months. I report it to Telstra, and after a few days they stop. But then it starts again. Getting sick of the no-result-spin from Telstra - chnage password etc etc etc.

IS THERE A SOLUTION TELSTRA OR DO WE JUST CHANGE SERVICE PROVIDERS????

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi, 

Please take a look at the following thread.

System-Error-Returned-Mail

I believe Yastiandrie answers this quite well.

Almurrie
Level 2: Rookie

https://service.telstra.com.au/customer/general/surveys/Report_misuse_of_service

Great job guys for Phishing. No "report spam button" no "blue triangle" for webmail. You go into message detail, post it into the box with the email content, and get told it exceds 3850 characters. It is like Telstra is actively stopping any reports!!!!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now