CrowdSupport®
kimsland
Level 1: Cadet

Imap Vs Pop3

Answered

Hi,

For some reason my local Outlook Pop3 account stopped working (incoming was ok)
So I just went to Telstra (mine is username@bipgpond.com) and found that the support was on imap email setup (the page I went to didn't even have POP settings)

After about 1/2 an hour of getting NO WHERE! I even tried Telstra chat, I then began to look at forums being the best place to go to.
YOUR forum had a post by one of your members pointing to here > https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...
(Sorry, because I logged in, I have no idea who the support member was now, but it came up under a solved thread of 'email settings')

Anyway, I thought Oh Pop is in there! So I deleted the imap nonsense account (that NEVER worked). Re-setup my POP account again (had to use the Outgoing Server 587 (465 didn't work), which makes me wonder why that's classed as default on the page). And all good Smiley Happy

My question is Looking up the difference between imap (synchronizing mail with the Server) and Pop (merely downloading the mail message). Why can't imap be used on my local email account? I mean it was a thorough 1/2 hour of try everything).
And why is POP settings not normally shown in the Bigpond email support pages? I mean if they just said: Look if you keep having issues try POP here's all the stuff you need. That would have saved me 25mins of wasted time with imap nonsense. (for me, not interested in synchronizing mess).

I BET most people with email setup issues MUST use POP and they never get to knowing this or it takes days to figure out! RANT ish question thingy over.

Thank you Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MHM2
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

Re: Imap Vs Pop3

You should be able to use either.

Just be aware that if you use POP3 it will delete messages from your server unless you explicitly want them kept there (21 days is good). Do not use Windows mail as this is not an option (?).  If this happens the first device to download will prevent the message being received on your other devices.

Conversely the risk with IMAP is that a delete locally will delete on the server and sync to delete on all devices, so you need to be really sure about deleting from deleted items and use folders to save things that are important.

Syncing can be an issue with huge accounts. Almost as bad as iTunes downloads.

It has become a de-facto standard for most providers to provide both.

I also use a third party webmail client via imap to my Telstra mailboxes.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
MHM2
Level 4: Private Eye
Accepted Solution

You should be able to use either.

Just be aware that if you use POP3 it will delete messages from your server unless you explicitly want them kept there (21 days is good). Do not use Windows mail as this is not an option (?).  If this happens the first device to download will prevent the message being received on your other devices.

Conversely the risk with IMAP is that a delete locally will delete on the server and sync to delete on all devices, so you need to be really sure about deleting from deleted items and use folders to save things that are important.

Syncing can be an issue with huge accounts. Almost as bad as iTunes downloads.

It has become a de-facto standard for most providers to provide both.

I also use a third party webmail client via imap to my Telstra mailboxes.

Highlighted
kimsland
Level 1: Cadet

Thanks MHM2

Regarding I 'should be able to use either'.

I was thinking later on that it may be a service I have manually disabled a long time ago, or possibly some registry entry for optimization, (I'm leaning more to services though). Anyway it works at the moment, received your reply email as well, so I'm happy.

Machine is fully malware free (who knows what those things could do) and firewalled . All is presently fine Smiley Happy Thanks for the extra info on POP3 deletion days (I'll check) and imap mail deletions.

Resolved Smiley Happy

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now