Aldi49
Level 1: Cadet

Is the email address .net.au going away?

Excuses in advance if I miss the point with my first ever post... I was told today that we will no longer be able to use our existing email addresses which end in .net.au after our existing broadband cable facilities are disconnected in July 2019. Is this really and truly so? This seems unnecessary heartache. Why not provide the existing email hosting service to subscribers on NBN or even mobile physical networks? Why are email addresses impacted by NBN rollout? I for one would pay a separate fee to continue the hosting service. Is everyone on .net.au losing their current email account in July?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
1 REPLY 1
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Is the email address .net.au going away?

I have been on NBN for over 2 years and our @bigpond.net.au address is working and am not aware of any changes to it...
However, that address is just sitting there and is not being used. Telstra's e-mail system is mediocre and archaic and I have moved everything to outllok.com which is using Microsoft Office365 technology and is far superior to Telstra's IMAP/POP offering. My advice to you would be to set up similar and start notifying everyone on the move, setting permanent forward to it and do everything possible to abandon that archaic technology... If and when the shutdown comes (I doubt it), you will be laughing...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now