CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
tankbuster
Level 1: Cadet

Mail delivery failure notices

Answered

Hello, I have been receiving hundreds of emails per minute from 'Mail delivery System' advising of email delivery errors.  What is going on? Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Mail delivery failure notices

Sounds very much like your email address has been hacked or what is known as Spoofed. It would appear that emails have probably been sent out with your email address.

Spammers frequently spoof the From sender on the email they send. They just substitute their real email address with a random email address found on a mailing list or one just randomly made up. Some poorly configured email gateway products don't distinguish between the manually editable "From" address and the actual sender origin, so they simply send any undeliverable messages to the spoofed From address.

First thing I would be doing is changing my email password, but if at all possible change both you email address and password.

This might only last for a day, could end up a week might go on for a month, it's hard to say.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Sounds very much like your email address has been hacked or what is known as Spoofed. It would appear that emails have probably been sent out with your email address.

Spammers frequently spoof the From sender on the email they send. They just substitute their real email address with a random email address found on a mailing list or one just randomly made up. Some poorly configured email gateway products don't distinguish between the manually editable "From" address and the actual sender origin, so they simply send any undeliverable messages to the spoofed From address.

First thing I would be doing is changing my email password, but if at all possible change both you email address and password.

This might only last for a day, could end up a week might go on for a month, it's hard to say.

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tankbuster, 

We'll have our Tech Team pop on here and see if there is any advice they are able to provide you as well :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Tankbuster,

I think DEANJA has gotten most of the issue covered! The only thing I would suggest is check your email settings. Sometimes when this happens and the email has been compromised, forwarding settings can be made in the email itself. If you pop into Webmail, you can check over the internal settings.

Brodie

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

tankbuster

Thanks very much, managed to change my password.  Email address has to stay the same though.  Emails still coming.

tankbuster

Thanks very much, emails still coming.
Danara

I am having the same problem and have to keep my present email address. It makes me feel somewhat vulnerable to know someone is using my email address without my knowledge.

Any further advice would be appreciated

Thank you

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Danara,

The posts by Deanja and Brodie pretty much covers it off. 

Have you performed the steps they suggested?

- Shelly

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit