Highlighted
PerplexedOne
Level 1: Cadet

Mozilla Thunderbird - email set up

Answered

I am not happy with Telstra/Bigpond - I was on the live chat with their consultants today trying to get my husband's email set up on his new laptop.  They were absolutely not able to help me, put me onto their technical consultants - ho!ho!  what  a laugh.  Basically, they said couldn't help, but I might like to pay for their premium service and get it fixed that way.  Excuse me, we pay for broadband, two mobiles and a full home phone service and they want us to pay more. I asked to be put  onto a manager to discuss this and all I got was a load of fluff from the consultant.  I certainly didn't get to "talk" to a manager as I asked. 

Neither of the people I was on live chat with mentioned this https://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary and I am not sure whether I can use the configuration options for Mozilla.  

We've used Mozilla for years, much better than BPond WebMail.  The problem - My husband's laptop died recently and I got a new one with Windows 8 and installed Mozilla.  He can now receive messages but not send them.  I have set him up on a wifi network but I am using Mozilla on my Pc with no problems.  We have old pre Feb 2012 email accounts.

Any suggestions about how to get this fixed apprciated.  My husband does not want to use Windows Live and he's not a keen fan of the Bigpond webmail, don't blame him there.  Is there any other option?  Thanks all

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Mozilla Thunderbird - email set up

Hi Perplexed One, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Telstra Crowdsupport. 

When configuring the email settings can you try the below settings:

Incoming Server Settings:
POP Server: pop3.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection (SSL Encryption)
Port: Port 995

Outgoing Server Settings
SMTP Server: smtp.live.com
Security: This server requires a secure connection – STARTTLS/TLS (recommended) or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using
Port: Port 587

Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication or SMTP authentication for security (in most email clients, this is not selected by default).

Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connections. If your client allows the use of TLS Encryption, choose this instead.

If there’s an option on your email client which says ‘Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)’, make sure that this box is un-ticked.

If you still have trouble with this, let us know and I'll arrange for one of our tech team members to try and assist further. 

- Luis

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
20 REPLIES 20
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Perplexed One, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to Telstra Crowdsupport. 

Outgoing Server Settings
Security: This server requires a secure connection – STARTTLS/TLS (recommended) or SSL Encryption depending on the mail client you’re using

Tick the box indicating outgoing server requires authentication or SMTP authentication for security (in most email clients, this is not selected by default).

Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) with the POP and SMTP connections. If your client allows the use of TLS Encryption, choose this instead.

If there’s an option on your email client which says ‘Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA)’, make sure that this box is un-ticked.

If you still have trouble with this, let us know and I'll arrange for one of our tech team members to try and assist further. 

- Luis

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

arielh13

Dear Luis,

Can you help me how to set up the incoming and outgoing server boxes for my Thunderbird client email software, so that I can use my new NBN Telstra connection. The details provided earlier (smtp.live.com) did not work. Thanks, Ariel

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Hmm, that is interesting. Perhaps your email service is still on our old email platform. If you login at the link below it will bring up the relevant mail server details for your email address.

http://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.do

If you have difficulty getting this working you can give technical support a call on 133 933 but be aware that Thunderbird is not a supported mail client.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Lucid

Edit your outgoing mail setting thusly:

1) Open Thunderbird

2)Click onyou url on the folder list

3)Click "View Settings for this account"

4)On the Left select the last item:"Outgoing Settings(SMTP)"

5)Click on "edit"

6)Set Port to 587

7)At "Connection Security" choose "STARTTLS" (this step is what made it work for me!)

8)Select "normal password"

9)Click Ok a few times to save your settings.

For some reason you can receive emails with Connection Security set to SSL/TLS on the incoming server but it wont work with it set to SSL/TLS for outgoing emails.

Enjoy,

Lucid.

AlRen

We installed Mozilla Thunderbird and can receive e mails but can not send any.

I am not sure what settings we have to put in to make it work. Our e mail provider is ozemail (ii net). Can anybody help us with the settings?

We tried to get help from Telstra support and talked to many very nice ladies over in India but unfortunately they could not solve the problem.

We read the previous comments but these settings don't work either.

Thanks for your help!

Support Team
Support Team

Hey AlRen,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I have been able to locate the following settings for the email settings for your provider:

https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/Email_Settings

Let us know if you are able to locate the right settings for your email service.

garth050

The settings in this link for outgoing mail (using Thunderbird) worked for me.

POS579

Thank You! I had to delete the account and re-add it at it had been added as a POP3 the first time and there was no way to change this in the settings. Worked perfectly once I added the accont, and chose manual configuration.

JanIsNotHappy

I've had the same experience and I'm about as unhappy as the OP.

I've tried all the proposed solutions without luck.

To be told that Telstra doesn't support Thunderbird ...... (speechless).

I've just deleted the account and it looks like I've lost all my history.

PB5

So Telstra have completely messed up my email over the past week - nothing worked. They've got webmail back but Thunderbird no longer works and they told me they don't support it - unbelievable. Can anyone offer assistance?

paddingtonbear

Telstra was not helpful when trying to set up thunderbird for windows 10 (since windows mail is pathetic)

The following settings worked for windows 10 for bigpond using Thunderbird on 15.03.2016

Outgoing Server Settings
Security: This server requires a secure connection – STARTTLS/TLS (recommended)

use full email address and "normal password for both.

I hope this works for others, too.

gmail was wonderfully simple to add to thunderbird.  Click of a button and it was all there : )))

seanreadsstuff

Hey,

Also having trouble with bigpond on thunderbird on ubuntu 15.04, been working fine for the last 12 months or so, but just yesterday started getting the error

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting:  nskntcmgw07p BigPond Outbound Connection refused, too many sessions from 121.214.120.242. OB007.

Checked the ip on spamhaus.com and they reckon that it's due to not using smtp authentification, so I turned on ssl/tls for in and outcoming mail and changed the port number to 465 (also tried 587), but was getting the same error message.

Update: just sent the mail through, but it seems that it is inconsistent. Has anyone had similar experiences?

I am using mail.bigpond.com for pop and smtp server

Aprillyn

Hi All,

Anyone here who can help me.

I just updated my bigpond email address to the new server which is the Telstra Mail server. I am using Thunderbird email client. I didn't realize that I will lost all of my old emails after the update happen.

What happen was I cannot receive any new emails anymore. And I was advise to delete and re add my email address to mae it wrok. But after I delete the old account that has the old server setting all of my old emails are also gone.

Please assist I need the resolution badly. ASAP!

Thanks!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Aprillyn,

Can you confirm the settings that you configured in Mozilla Thunderbird? I am assuming that you are manually configuring it with the IMAP settings for Telstra Mail which you can find here:

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

- Shelly

sally13
Level 2: Rookie

Hello,

I am about to make the move to the new Telstra email. Am currently with Thunderbird as my email client and would like to continue with their program, but am aware that there have been longstanding issues due to the POP server thingy (people who try to email me always/often get an errror message despite me actually still receiving their mail) so I would LOVE for that issue to be resolved in this transition, hopefully by moving to this other thing that is not POP-whatever. As you can see - I am not techy AT ALL so I will need some seriously simple talking through of this procedure.

If it involves having to delete my current account with Thunderbird, can I also be advised as to how best (EASIEST!) to back-up my current inbox and archives?

Thank you so much,

Sally

sally13

ps. Just reading some of the messages above about Telstra not supporting Thunderbird, doesn't sound good! Have others resolved this satisfactorily? Or if not, did you decide to change to another email client and if so - what have you found to be good?

Level 24: Supreme Being

Technically telstra doesn't support any email client, barring a basic setup of a email account in a couple of clients, only webmail.

If you're looking for instructions for how to back up your data in thunderbird, best bet would be to check google. Mozilla should have some knowledge base articles that can guide you through the process.

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
sally13

Thank you ... I guess I'll have to go ask in Mozilla. I get worried though because when I tried to resolve the email error that way, I ended up getting sent back to Telstra and it was an unending loop of nowhere-ness ...

I'm pretty certain there was an article on here about how to set up Telstra mail on thunderbird a little while ago but I can't seem to find it now.

We can help at Telstra Platinum with the process via remote connection over the phone but we are a premium service so there would be costs involved.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
wocka37

A Solution that WORKED for me:

I don't know how my outgoing (smpt) settings got scrambled, but they did. Mail IN was fine but outgoing mail has been problematical and ceased altogether today.

The settings recommended by Telstra did NOT work for me.

The following Account Settings for the Outgoing Server in Mozilla Thunderbird (harvested from the iiNet link in one of the messages above) are:

• Description: smtp
  • Server Name: mail.bigpond.com
  • Port: 25  [Note that this is nothing like what was recommended]
  • Connection security:  STARTTLS
  • Authentication:  No authentication.

I hope it works for you if you still have the problem,

Regards - Rick

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now