CrowdSupport®
SpecialDave
Level 2: Rookie

My previously deleted bigpond emails have returned - Already Keeping Metadata?

Answered

So last week, much to my suprise when i looked at my iphone to see if any gmail, icloud or bigpond mails had popped in, my unread inidcator had gone from 6 to 429....

Holy Zookeper Batman, Have I somehow become a meme? Have I inadvertantly offened a small country? Has Change.Org launched a petition for me to stop posting pictures of my son on facebook? 

But thanksfully no - Actually it was pretty much every bigpond email I had ever received between 2013 and now suddenly returning to me like the electronic mail version of the prodigal son.

Has anyone else had this occur?

And given that i firnly believed and indeed to the appropriate steps to delete these emails, how are they suddenly being returned. There is of course nothing untoward in the content, rather it is mobileprotect summaries for my daughters phone, bills, bill notifications, data usage notifications etc. 

So when I tried to delete (AGAIN!) these emails they seemed to do as requested, i then emptied my trash believeing that it was the final step in eliminating notifications from October 2013 about what i could look forward to on foxtel in November 2013 and the like... Alas, they returned again!  

I've managed to get it down to 331 via webmail portal in browser but I have concerns that full emails, inlcuding bill attachments that have indeed been deleted have been re-sent.

It seems like over the past 2 weeks since trying so hard (and failing) to get a basic really old street address on one part of my account changed to align to what it shoudl be, that i have begun to experience significant issues with my Tesltra services, Primarily bigpond.

1. Suddenly my speeds are at 10.2 download and 1.3 upload on a cable connection and i've used 2% of my data allowance and all bills are paid. 

2. My deleted emails have all made a sudden reemergence

3. My wifi component of my router now suddenly has decided its range should be roughly 3 feet rather than across a standard house.

So if i have offended you whomever must be having a joke at my expense i do apologise....

Anyone able to answer this...

Has the system been hacked?

How secure is my personal information?

What has caused this?

Why me?

Cheers

DaveTelstraWebmail.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: My previously deleted bigpond emails have returned - Already Keeping Metadata?

Hi Dave, 

There is a known issue with iPhones where sometimes they keep downloading old emails, especially after firmware updates. 

As for getting those emails deleted off the mail server,  can you try using this alternative address to log in and delete the unwanted email.

https://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin

Once you have done this if you have any other devices that connect and download email from the same mailbox can you check the settings to make sure  your emails get deleted from the server once they have been downloaded.  You can set the option to delete immediately or delete after X amount of time.

In regards to you WiFi issue, it's possible there is a new form of radio frequency interference which is affecting it.  I have found the best way to overcome this is to change the channel the modem is transmitting the WiFi signal on.  You can find the instructions on how to do this as well as other tips, on-line tools and downloadable apps which you can use to optimise your connection.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

With the drop in speed, you can try the troubleshooting listed on the following page, http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139, but would be best to contact our Technical support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat in order to investigate this further.

Hope this helps

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: My previously deleted bigpond emails have returned - Already Keeping Metadata?

Hi Dave, 

There is a known issue with iPhones where sometimes they keep downloading old emails, especially after firmware updates. 

As for getting those emails deleted off the mail server,  can you try using this alternative address to log in and delete the unwanted email.

https://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin

Once you have done this if you have any other devices that connect and download email from the same mailbox can you check the settings to make sure  your emails get deleted from the server once they have been downloaded.  You can set the option to delete immediately or delete after X amount of time.

In regards to you WiFi issue, it's possible there is a new form of radio frequency interference which is affecting it.  I have found the best way to overcome this is to change the channel the modem is transmitting the WiFi signal on.  You can find the instructions on how to do this as well as other tips, on-line tools and downloadable apps which you can use to optimise your connection.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Internet-KB/WiFi-Troubleshooting/ta-p/107516

With the drop in speed, you can try the troubleshooting listed on the following page, http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband-KB/Testing-your-broadband-speed/ta-p/278139, but would be best to contact our Technical support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat in order to investigate this further.

Hope this helps

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted
SpecialDave

Hey Ben,

top marks to you mate for addressing everything!

the email issue - have sorted it now thank you.

The wifi and speeds - I checked my entire cable from external splitter to modem and identified where a tradie had moved my cable wall port as a possible suspected contributor to the issue, so I pulled the port off and some of the cable through and low and behold quite possibly the worst cable to cable connection I have ever seen. The copper core had been twisted together and connected via a screw plate. The shielding braid had been twisted together haphazardly and duct taped together... So essentially my signal was being transmitted before even reaching my modem via this impromptu antenna array...

Of course my modem and router were insufficient and needed replacing.

So after re-cabling and terminating and then buying a Telstra Cable Gateway Max along with my service being upgraded to high speed I now no longer require an extender and my kids can watch YouTube whilst my wife shops online and I use the connection to log in and work where previously only 1 concurrent activity was possible.

i won't say it was an easy journey and unfortunately both live chat and voice calls proved frustrating, unhelpful, sometimes infuriating and generally something to be avoided. CrowdSupport however has been the saving grace with not only the general populous being very helpful but indeed individuals like you representing Telstra have indeed been excellent!

so aside from a couple of minor things unrelated I am finally in good shape!

cheers

Dave

Kempy1
Level 1: Cadet

Have just had the same problem and spoke to Telstra support and it's now fixed. Go to webail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin. Delete message from here and they shouldn't reload. Hope this helps as it's made life a lot better here. :-}

Lockie12
Level 1: Cadet

How can I delete multiple emails at once I have 6000

Support Team
Support Team

Hey Lockie12,

You can only have the set amount of emails from the front page accessed and selected for deletion at the present time sorry Smiley Sad I'm happy to have this feedback on allowing more emails to be selected at one time on to the design team for this email platform. Hopefully this will increase in the future. 

mipabeal
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have just experienced this same issue of old deleted emails coming back into the inbox. Apart from finding it disconcerting that a deleted email is not really deleted, it concerns me that Telstra would already have a process that deals with it. This indicates a known fault, that you haven't got your head around yet.

But back to my issue. Having read your advice to use the https://webmail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin option, I fired it up, and guess what? It failed. True to form Telstra. 

Telstra 1.JPG

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Some email programs or apps will leave a copy of the email on the server automatically if you are using POP server settings, other programs and apps will not. It is best to check the settings for each device/program that you have configured to do so.

Most customers will no longer be able to access webmail via http://webail.bigpond.com/webedge/do/oldlogin as the majority of mailboxes have been migrated to the new Telstra Mail platform which should be accessed via https://email.telstra.com

The maximum amount of emails that can be deleted is 75 at a time.

- Shelly

lufra

i am having this problem too. I have deleted all these emails via webmail (and it took FOREVER under the new telstra mail) and now they are all returning to my ipad/iphone, which is incredibly annoying because of the space they are taking up, plus, why are they not actually deleted?

i'm not sure what all the set up stuff means on the apple devices - i have the incoming mail server as mail.bigpond.com and the outgoing as SMTP. Thanks

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi lufra,

The first thing to check is webmail, log back into and make sure the email that you deleted has actually been deleted.

Are you using an Apple device?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now