CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

New Telstra Mail accessibility for blind users

I  would like to know, please, if the new Telstra webmail can be accessed by a screen reader such as NVDA or JAWS. I have had very little joy today trying to open or search for emails, etc. I know it is recommended that users with a visual impairment use a mail application on their computer, but I am currently not in a position to do this with the Laptop I have and need to access my Bigpond email online. The previous webmail interface was bad enough, but manageable most times; however, it would appear that accessibility has not been considered for blind users by developers of the new mail interface. Apart from this being contrary to the DDA etc etc, it is extremely frustrating and also unacceptable in this day and age.    Any comments or suggestions will be gratefully received.   My sincere thanks in anticipation.    Tom5210 
<email adress removed to protect your privacy>

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: New Telstra Mail accessibility for blind users

Hi Tom5210,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble using Telstra Mail. Can I confirm that you've tried to use it with those programs without any luck?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Highlighted

Yes, I can confirm that I am having considerable difficulty with both the mentioned screen readers. Screen readers work best with good HTML programming and not with very graphical interfaces where many features and functions are not detected as links, buttons etc which can be quickly located and activated. I have managed to open and reply to emails, but the process is not easy or intuitive. The Inbox appears in a simple table of 15 rows, but it is very difficult to scroll through or search for older messages. Nor is there any way I can find to move to Next or Previous pages or messages, select or delete messages, etc. I suspect there is much happening visually which the screen reader is unable to detect or provide braille or audible output for.

I wonder if, similarly to Outlook Web App, there might be a Light version which is HTML based.

With thanks.

Tom5210.

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for letting me know, there isn't a lite version of Telstra Mail, so I have passed on your feedback about your difficulties navigating it using that software. If you don't mind me asking, is there a reason you can't use a mail reader like Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Highlighted

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm currently using a work computer and I only want to use Outlook to access work emails. Admin restrictions disallow my use of other browsers. There are also times when I wish to access my Telstra mail online when travelling and sometimes having to use another computer.

As a matter of principal, too, I feel there is a serious equity and accessibility issue which developers should be addressing.

Thanks - Tom5210

Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks, I've passed these comments on too. -Dylan

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit