CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
StirlingTT
Level 1: Cadet

Our emails to Bigpond addresses are being blocked

Answered

We are not listed on Spamhaus or any other spam database (that I can find anyway).

Have checked on MX Toolbox as well - no hits there.

Can anyone help with a solution so our emails can get through to Bigpond users?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
George_Jetson
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Re: Our emails to Bigpond addresses are being blocked

Long post, with a workaround at the end for speed readers Smiley Happy

Hi Jupiter, you make an important point about the problem of multiple email systems within Telstra. It has caused many customers grief over the years.

If I could also add that    x@bigpond.com   is different to x@bigpond.com.au  BUT x@bigpond.com.au goes to the same address as x@bigpond.net.au.

So an email sent to jetson@bigpond.com will go to account A while an email sent to jetson@bigpond.com.au OR jetson@bigpond.net.au will go to person B.

No wonder confusion reigns.

and just to add:

There are thousands of people with the old @telstra.COM email addresses.  These are often referred to in Telstra Support circles as Bigpond addresses, which causes a lot of confusion.

My current understanding is that "Business Billing" within Telstra look after the @telstra.com email systems while there is another area that looks after "Bigpond addresses". The support team for each area is unable to access the other so you'll often be routed to the wrong Team to resolve the issue.

To OP: Sorry to hear about the issue. There is no answer. I have been fortunate to spend many hours talking to very knowledgeable technical people in Telstra and the short answer is that a major overhaul and consolidation of the eMail systems would be required to fix this.

I have a friend with a bigpond.com.au address  (I now have a new friend with the same label but @bigpond.com (Hi Jeff and Joan) that keep getting accidental emails from me).  I regularly get a bounce due to "suspected spam" even though we're both using the same Telstra backbone. You'd think the systems would know that we're both Telstra customers and have both legitimately logged in to send and receive our emails. Why they need to ask a third-party service if we're spammers has me beat.

BTW My "workaround" is to try sending to the bigpond/telstra addresses using different servers, e.g. from a gmail account, then mail.com, flashmail.com, etc until Telstra finally accept the message. Not ideal, certainly not for mass mailouts like wedding invitations.

Good luck and Happy 2017

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Level 25: The Singularity

What is the error message that is being sent back from the server?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
StirlingTT

Delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups:

<REMOVED>@bigpond.net.au

Subject: <REMOVED>

This message hasn't been delivered yet. Delivery will continue to be attempted.

The server will keep trying to deliver this message for the next 1 days, 19 hours and 54 minutes. You'll be notified if the message can't be delivered by that time.

That is not typically a message indicating that you have been blocked by the Telstra servers. That generally means that your mail server has not been able to contact the server that the mail recipient is reported to be housed on (in this case a bigpond.net.au server).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
StirlingTT

I tend to agree, but it is happening with all our emails to any bigpond (.com; .net.au; etc.) address.

We did send out a mailer late last week that went to several thousand recipients and that seems to have triggered this issue.

If it went to a large number of Telstra recipients all at once, then it is possible that it has been marked as SPAM by the spam system.

The other problem is that there are currently 3 different email systems in use at Telstra. The new Telstra Mail, the old Bigpond Mail and the Outlook.com system.

Are all emails addressed to Telstra addresses getting stopped, or just some?

George_Jetson
Level 3: Gumshoe
Accepted Solution

Long post, with a workaround at the end for speed readers Smiley Happy

Hi Jupiter, you make an important point about the problem of multiple email systems within Telstra. It has caused many customers grief over the years.

If I could also add that    x@bigpond.com   is different to x@bigpond.com.au  BUT x@bigpond.com.au goes to the same address as x@bigpond.net.au.

So an email sent to jetson@bigpond.com will go to account A while an email sent to jetson@bigpond.com.au OR jetson@bigpond.net.au will go to person B.

No wonder confusion reigns.

and just to add:

There are thousands of people with the old @telstra.COM email addresses.  These are often referred to in Telstra Support circles as Bigpond addresses, which causes a lot of confusion.

My current understanding is that "Business Billing" within Telstra look after the @telstra.com email systems while there is another area that looks after "Bigpond addresses". The support team for each area is unable to access the other so you'll often be routed to the wrong Team to resolve the issue.

To OP: Sorry to hear about the issue. There is no answer. I have been fortunate to spend many hours talking to very knowledgeable technical people in Telstra and the short answer is that a major overhaul and consolidation of the eMail systems would be required to fix this.

I have a friend with a bigpond.com.au address  (I now have a new friend with the same label but @bigpond.com (Hi Jeff and Joan) that keep getting accidental emails from me).  I regularly get a bounce due to "suspected spam" even though we're both using the same Telstra backbone. You'd think the systems would know that we're both Telstra customers and have both legitimately logged in to send and receive our emails. Why they need to ask a third-party service if we're spammers has me beat.

BTW My "workaround" is to try sending to the bigpond/telstra addresses using different servers, e.g. from a gmail account, then mail.com, flashmail.com, etc until Telstra finally accept the message. Not ideal, certainly not for mass mailouts like wedding invitations.

Good luck and Happy 2017

View solution in original post

StirlingTT

Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now