eleven
Level 2: Rookie

Outgoing POP account problem with Mac Sierra

Answered

Hi

I have been having trouble sending mail since upgrading to Mac Sierra. I have received error messages asking for a password and then that the password cannot be verified. A couple of times the problem has been resolved simply by closing Mail and re-opening. This didn't work today so I rang Telstra for help. I was advised to change all my outgoing mail server settings which I did.  This worked for a test email but not for subsequent emails. I was getting error messages that what I was trying to send was spam and then later any mail that did get through was ending up in the recipients junk folder. It seems to be working ok now. However, I'm not very good at all this techie stuff and I am concerned that my outgoing mail server now has no username or password. Could someone please tell me what settings I should be using for outgoing mail. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Outgoing POP account problem with Mac Sierra

Outgoing hostname: smtp.telstra.com

Port: 465

Use SSL: on

Authentication: Password

^Those are the most ideal settings

Mac Mail also gets a bit finicky when changing outgoing settings. It may take a couple of tries and force closing the program before the settings stick

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
eleven
Level 2: Rookie

These are my settings now for outgoing mail. Is this ok?

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 12.11.21 pm.png

Accepted Solution

Outgoing hostname: smtp.telstra.com

Port: 465

Use SSL: on

Authentication: Password

^Those are the most ideal settings

Mac Mail also gets a bit finicky when changing outgoing settings. It may take a couple of tries and force closing the program before the settings stick

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now