CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
cboula
Level 1: Cadet

Outgoing SMTP Mail Server settings

Answered

I have just started having issues with my email client (outlook 2016) when sending mail from bigpond

Things were working fine and then suddenly i keep on getting prompted for username/password credentials. I have not changed any outgoing SMTP settings.

Is there are issue with bigpond mail?

Outgoing SMTP settings

mail.bigpond.com

port: 465

SSL

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Outgoing SMTP Mail Server settings

Hi Cboula

I believe we have a solution which should assist. 

Several weeks ago 50% of traffic was migrated from our old server to a newone, and on Friday 03/03 the remaining 50% of traffic was migrated across also.

As a result Customers that have the incorrect mail settings or have SMTP authentication enabled will be impacted and unable to send an email. You will be able to login and script a new email, however whenyou attempt to send the email you will be prompted to enter your password. Although you enter the correct password the request will fail and you will not be able to send the email.
You need to configure your email client correctly as per the recommendations on the Telstra website (Instructions below). Specifically,your username for SMTP authentication should contain the domain eg. @bigpond.com. Also if you disable SMTP authentication it will fix the issue.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
30 REPLIES 30
Level 24: Supreme Being

try changing the outgoing host to smtp.telstra.com

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Cboula

I believe we have a solution which should assist. 

Several weeks ago 50% of traffic was migrated from our old server to a newone, and on Friday 03/03 the remaining 50% of traffic was migrated across also.

As a result Customers that have the incorrect mail settings or have SMTP authentication enabled will be impacted and unable to send an email. You will be able to login and script a new email, however whenyou attempt to send the email you will be prompted to enter your password. Although you enter the correct password the request will fail and you will not be able to send the email.
You need to configure your email client correctly as per the recommendations on the Telstra website (Instructions below). Specifically,your username for SMTP authentication should contain the domain eg. @bigpond.com. Also if you disable SMTP authentication it will fix the issue.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em...

Kind Regards 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

View solution in original post

cboula

Hi Lindy...That did the trick. Thank you

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Great to hear Cboula, Appreciate you letting us know Smiley Happy 

Kind Regards 

Bob556
Level 2: Rookie

Hi Lindy: I am alos experienceing this problem form 3/03,, obviously My account was recently migrated to the new server..I have checked the configurations below in my outlook 2016 settings and they are identical to what is listed below...

I get the login popup and the password is not accepted.. done all the tests, webmail works, calle dthe helpdesk and waited for over two hours listening to the Telstra on hold music and gave up..

Is below correct as your first post indicates the server setting should be different to what is below..

regards

Bob556

Step 1

Open Microsoft Outlook 2016 and open the Files menu

Step 2

On the Info tab, select Account Settings and then select Account Settings

Step 3

To create a new email configuration select New

Step 4

Select Manual setup or additional server types and then select Next

Step 5

Select IMAP and then select Next

Step 6

Input the following

• User information: Your name and full Telstra Mail email address
  • Logon information: Your full Telstra Mail email address and password
  • Log on using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Unticked

Step 6

Update the Server Information for your mailbox as follows:

• Account type: IMAP
  • Incoming mail server:  imap.telstra.com
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.telstra.com
  • Mail to keep offline: User defined (all by default)

Step 7

Then, select More Settings and input the following details

Outgoing Server Tab

• My outgoing server SMTP requires authentication: Ticked
  • Use same settings as my incoming mail server: Selected       

Advanced Tab: Server Port Numbers

• Incoming server (IMAP): 993
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing server (SMTP): 465
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL

Step 8

Select Ok and then Next. Microsoft Outlook will now test the email settings. Once successfully completed, select Close. The email setup is now complete, select Finish then Close

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bob556

For the outgoing server there can be a few options depending on the configuration and security. Make sure you are using the full email address for authentication and try the port/security options below. 

Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

- AlistairQWA

Bob556

Hi AlistairQWA

I have set the settings to both SSL (465) and TLS  (port 587) and other obvious "options,, such as outgoing server requires authentication... both yes and no (ticked and or unticked) to no avail so there so obviously something else happening or more specifically not happening.. This problem occured about 10 days ago so I am assuming it aligns to recent account migration to another server... or that is my best guess at this point.

Webmail is working fine.. I am on a Bigpond.net.au address, does this impact the setup?

I have even been to the extent of reloading  outlook  deleting the account and removing from the credential manager the entries and redoing it from scratch. I have  even gone to the extent of uninstalling my office suite and re-installing outlook...

I have windows 10 64 Bit and office professional extended edition 2016.

You can see I hope that i have covered all of the bases.. It was working fine up to the 2nd March so somehting has changed...

Right now I am not sure of what options I have left for reconfiguration.. However really do not want to sit on hold for a long time like I did last night only to finally give up. I have been through the troubleshooting guide for this more than once..I even retrieved passwords just to make sure I had that right,, which had not changed.

Yes I test account settings and get asked for my password which does not work.. then get a timeout.

Ideas??????

regards

Bob556

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The .net.au email extension does not change the configuration settings.

I would also suggest trying configuring the email into another program / phone app to see if the issue duplicates elsewhere and is not just associated to the one setup.

If you have not been able to talk to the technical support team on 133933 for ADSL/Cable or 1800834273 for NBN as yet, you can also try the Live Chat team here  http://tel.st/gq6m

- Dane

Bob556

Ok for further clarity.

My .net.au email is fine on an Iphone, and Ipad

I have just used another computer,, clean install of office 2016 and new clean install of outlook.

Windows 10 54 bit , Outlook 2016, directly connected via a hotspot Iphone , no firewall configured, no defender , no A/V or Malware detection

Setup per above and also setup  for TLS per port, also tried without the outgoing server requiring authentication,

I get prompted for password several  times,,, I get the following messages

"log onto incoming mail server (IMAP) the conneciton to the server was interupted, if this problem persists contact your server administrator or Internet service provider"

"Send test email. This operaiton timed out waiting for a response from the sending SMTP Service, If you continue to receive this message plase contact your server administrator or ISP...."

I am on a direct internet connection via Next G....

I am now oddicially stumped,, next stumpted....do you have any further suggestions? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If it is working on the mobile email apps and outlook 2016 is still failing using an alternate connection then try an alternate email program on the computer. Windows live mail, Thunderbird etc.

- AlistairQWA

Bob556

THe private meassage you sent me    (thankyou) indicated it is not the current service outage that is affecting this problem.. do you have any further information or knowledge / options that can be tried?

This email whilst "bigpond" is important for other reasons like quotes, insurance policies etc I  like to keep in archive.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bob556,

If the issue was just on the outgoing email and not missing emails before 9th of March then the next step would be testing another email program on your computer seeing it is working on other devices with the same configuration details. 

If you do have emails missing then you should receive a followup email about the issue today as receiving new emails in webmail was not affected.

- AlistairQWA

Temora140
Level 3: Gumshoe

I tried Tec support was told it is my email Server problem not Telstra's problem. I have used the same email software for the last 6 years never had a problem until Telstra started migrating email accounts across.
Temora140

My email Software is not sending emails, I have tried 3 different softwares now and all have the same problem. Cant send from Ipad or Samsung tablet either, have changed all the server types to SMTP and IMAP.telstra.com works once if I am lucky then wont work next time.

Temora140

Also have the missing emails problem too. what has Telstra done?????
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Temora140,

There are 2 port/security configurations you can use for outgoing emails. Do both setups end up giving you the same errors using smtp.telstra.com ?

Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

- AlistairQWA

Temora140

Yes both give me the same error message, please submit NEW PASSWORD

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Temora140, 

Have you tried using that password to log into our Webmail platform to see if it works?

Temora140

Yes it works, that's what I dont understand. I can recieve emails but can not reply to them or forward them. I have done every thing that the link up the page. It worked once and then not the next time. Checked everything, turn the modum off and back on after 30 seconds and still no go.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks, can you check your  Webmail and see if there is an email from Telstra? 

Temora140

Ok finally worked out the problem with emails.

Its not just as easy as changing email settings from POP to IMAP, you have to go into your email server and disable your POP account email and then add a new email account with the IMAP settings, then copy all your folders and info from the old POP email to the new IMAP email, then once you have checked that all the info has been copied to the new email account then delete the old account. You have to do this with all email accounts with Telstra. Ipads and Tablets all need to have the old account dsiabled, then new account set up as IMAP and then you can receive and send emails again. I would think that maybe even Iphones and Android phones would need the same

JeffGeoff

No joy ... refuses to verify imap.telstra.com when setting up this address.  STILL have the problem that can receive but not send emails, has been around for several weeks now.

using iPad, with an old bigpond.net.au account that used to be on a POP server with in and out mail both from mail.bigpond.com.  The incoming still works but not outgoing ... HELP?

annie55

Me too 😐
Did you get any joy?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi annie55, 

You'll find the email settings listed here along with other walk-thrus and videos on how to set up various devices. See if this helps.

annie55

Sorry Kenobi, Safari can’t open the page your link refers to...
annie55

Because the server cannot be found

there was an extra 'https' in the link

try this one

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

annie55

Thanks Yastiandrie, the incoming settings work fine; it is the outgoing server that is the problem. I have checked them ++++++ but still can’t send. The exact same settings work fine for email on my PC using Outlook 2016, but not on my iPhone...
annie55

If your mobile is an iPhone would you consider trying to replicate the problem?

I fix issues with Apple products but would never own one so I don't have one to use to test

It is definitely no a widespread issue though. My only suggestion is to remove the account and reads it. iPhone pick up the IMAP settings automatically if you are using the correct password without needing to be manually adjusted

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now