CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Mikes1917
Level 2: Rookie

Outlook 2010 Error msg UID Does Not Comply with IMAP Standard

Answered

Since the forced transfer from Outlook.Com to Telstra as my email provider I have been unable to consistently access my bigpond email on my WIN 7 Outlook 2010 desktop through the new Telstra IMAP server.

The change to your new email server was advertised to me as "a simple to use email experience across mobiles, tablets and computers", unfortunately this is not my experience.

I need to access my email on this account through several computers as well as mobile devices, a task that was simple and seamless with MAPI server at Outlook.Com that was my email host for the last 2 years.

Prior to 2014 I was using Outlook 2010 on an IMAP email system with another provider for more than 6 years and never experienced any of the issues that I have described below.

Most, but not every time I receive an email on my desktop I receive the following error message:-

Outlook Error.jpg

Once this error is received the account will not receive any further emails until the message is acknowledged or cleared.

Occasionally messages emails can only be accessed once Outlook has been shut down and re-started.

Worse than this however is that an email sent on one of my devices will no longer automatically show up on the rest.

It may, depending on the device eg. sent from iPad - shows up on iPhone - and may, or may not show up on the Desktop.

I have looked up the Microsoft Knowledge Base regarding this issue and it appears to be very common and longstanding however Microsoft indicate that it is an ISP mail host issue and not an actual Outlook issue.

I have removed and re-installed the email account on my desktop on several occasions and then set it up both manually and with the auto config but the errors still keep coming back.

I do not want to change ISP's but reliable access my email is paramount to me.

Is there a fix for this issue so that I can access my email service?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra Products & Services Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Outlook 2010 Error msg UID Does Not Comply with IMAP Standard

Hi,

The fix here needs to be completed server side. So there isn't much anyone can do expect send a personal message to the Technical support staff to action.

You should include in the personal message:

• Your email address
  • The error you are seeing.

The Technical support staff are Kenobi, Shellock and AlistairQWA

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The server shown in the error code should be imap.telstra.com rather than imap.bigpond.com which may be part of the issue that you are experiencing.

In most cases configuring email programs from using Outlook.com and updating with the new Telstra Mailis as simple as changing the incoming mail server from imap-mail.outlook.com to imap.telstra.com and the outgoing mail server from smtp-mail.outlook.com to smtp.telstra.com.  

We recommend using port 465 for the outgoing mail server, however some users will find 587 will work best for them.

On the individual devices, you may need to configure where the copy of the sent email goes. For example, on the iPhone this is found in: Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > select the account and then the IMAP Account > Advanced > Sent Mailbox 

From here you will be able to select which folder on the IMAP server that the sent emails will go into.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Mikes1917

Hi Shelly,

Thanks for your response regarding these Outlook UID errors.

You are correct regarding the individual devices.

On setting up a new account my iPad, iPhone and desktop all decided to allocate different default names for both my sent and deleted items (e.g. Sent; Sent Items, Sent Messages).

Really annoying but Apple's, not Telstra's fault.

I have now aligned all of these folders so that problem is now over.

The UID error messages are more persistent however.

My first few attempts were manual set ups of new accounts on Outlook with the imap.testra.com address but after several crashes and non responsive programs due to the UID error coming up (always in multiples) I let Outlook automatically configure the new Accounts. It set this up as an imap.bigpond.com address which did work for a day or two until the errors came back.

I have now manually reconfigured the server addreses as per your suggestion but am still receiving UID errors although far less frequently (none today, 4 yesterday and none for the 3 days prior to that).

Unlike before when I received these errors, Outlook now continues operating, rather than freeze after clicking the OK button on the error box. That is a great improvement from where I was last week.

160728 Outlook UID error.jpg

So to summarise, Outlook is working much better now but still has the occasional problem which has only occured since the transfer from outlook.com.

Thanks,

Mike

map_856
Level 3: Gumshoe

Hi Shelly,

I too am experiencing this same issue with Outlook 2010.

Note, I'm already using imap.telstra.com as you suggested. However, the error persists.

Clearly, Mikes1917 is not the only user experiencing this issue.

Hope it can be resolved soon.

Many thanks.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I have sent a private message to Mikes1917 and map_856. Please respond to this so that I can raise an investigation for this issue.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

map_856

Thanks Shelly - all done.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

map_856, 

Can you test and advise if this is now working without error or it is ongoing?

- Shelly

map_856

Hi Shelly,

The error seems to have gone at the moment. I'll keep an eye on it for the next couple of days and will confirm after that.

Many thanks for your help.

Mikes1917

Hi Shelly,

I have posted my details via the supplied link as requested.

The UID error has come back though with another 4 errors this afternoon and a shut down and re-start of Outlook required to resolve the unresponsive account.

Thanks for being on the case.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update. Can you confirm if this issue has now been resolved? 

- Shelly

map_856

Hi Shelly,

Yes, it seems to be. I haven't seen the error message again.

Many thanks for your help and for following up.

Martin

Mikes1917

Hi Shelly,

So far, so good - I haven't received an Outlook UID error since Friday but will be in touch if the errors return

Thanks for your time in helping with this issue.

Support Team
Support Team

Excellent to hear, great news Smiley Happy 

AceSLive12
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Guys!

So, it seems that the 'final fix' for this issue was sent via a PM..

Does anyone want to perhaps post the fix here so that the rest of us with this issue might get it working?

That would be awesome,

Thanks!

Lee

Accepted Solution

Hi,

The fix here needs to be completed server side. So there isn't much anyone can do expect send a personal message to the Technical support staff to action.

You should include in the personal message:

• Your email address
  • The error you are seeing.

The Technical support staff are Kenobi, Shellock and AlistairQWA

Gopher68

I have the same issue. I had my main PC crap out when windows 10 became possesed. I loaded my office 2010 onto my backup PC and the uid errors started. I only use one point to access my emails so the whole "different devices" issue should not apply. have posted my error message below:

<edited due to guidelines >

Can Anybody help Me? Please?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Gopher68, 

This should now be resolved. Are you able to try your account to confirm it's been fixed? 

Gopher68

Thank You very much I tested my email and this is the first time in three weeks the alert didnt come up.

Thanks again.

glennduwa

Same problem here! What do?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

As mentioned earlier in the thread, please send a private message to Kenobi or myself with your email address and the error that you are seeing so that we can help you with this.

- Shelly

TimKershawnvren

Hi Shelly

ARe you able to help please.
I can't PM you for some reason. Also having same problems.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi TimKershawnvren

Not sure why you are having an issue with the PM currently. Click on the envelope up the top right and then 'Compose New Message' 

There is also an option to do it off someones profile https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Community-Tips-Advice/Managing-Private-Messages-Community-Fea...

- AlistairQWA

Petnet

I am having the same issue:

Capture.JPG

Would appreciate some help also.

I have two other IMAP email addresses attached to the same account which do not have this problem.

- Pete

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Pete, 

We can help you, please read Fleming post, which has been marked as the solution to this thread, for the details we need.

Petnet

Thanks Kenobi,

Appreciate your quick reply.

Happy to get help. Can provide the details in the Fleming post. Where to?

- Pete

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Petnet,

The post appears at the top of the thread. https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/telstracon/board/message?board.id=Email&message.id=27096#M27096

- AlistairQWA

willc684

Good evening I'm getting the same error.

my email is: <deleted>@bigpond.net.au

Error message is as follows:

UID of a message changed unexpectedly. This typically indicates a server bug. Your program may not function properly after this.
Error code: 0x800CCCDB

*edited due to guidelines*

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi willc684, 

We've repaired the issue in relation to your account.  Can you check to see if it's working?

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now