CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Damienab1
Level 2: Rookie

Outlook 2010 setup error

Answered

I have followed the directions at http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Set-Up/Set-up-BigPond-Email-on-Outlook-2010/ta-p/398445

I am getting the following error at step 9.

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR pop operation is not allowed for this user.

• I stil recieve the test email through webmail and phone. 
  • I have tried changing my password. 
  • I have tried restarting my machine. 
  • I hae tried it on another family members acount only to get the same error. 
  • When I go through the rest of the steps, and change the advanced settings, it wont even send the test email

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Damienab1
Accepted Solution

Re: Outlook 2010 setup error

Thanks Shelly,

It worked when I set incoming to 993 and outgoing to 587 - strange! 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Damien

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

I've asked our Technical Support team to take a look at your post in the morning and see what assistance they can offer :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Damienab1

Thanks Steph, did they get back to you with any ideas? I havent heard anything

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

They'll post here themselves if they can offer support - in the meantime you can also speak with Technical Support directly on 133 933 for assistance

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

Can I get you to check your email settings in Outlook 2010 and compare them to the settings which come up when you log into the following web page:

http://www.telstra.com/emailservercheck

- Ben

Damienab1

Hi Ben,

thanks for getting back to me. 

I have done that, screenshot attached. I get the following error now

Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

I have rechecked my network settings (and am able to get to this page etc.) so is not a network issue here.

Regards

Damien

bigpond-mailSettings.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Assuming that you also have the Outgoing mail requires authentication, these settings are correct. I would suggest changing the encryption type from TLS to SSL to see if that works better for you.

- Shelly

Damienab1
Accepted Solution

Thanks Shelly,

It worked when I set incoming to 993 and outgoing to 587 - strange! 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Damien

View solution in original post

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now