CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Damienab1
Level 2: Rookie

Outlook 2010 setup error

Answered

I have followed the directions at http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Set-Up/Set-up-BigPond-Email-on-Outlook-2010/ta-p/398445

I am getting the following error at step 9.

Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.  The server responded: -ERR pop operation is not allowed for this user.

• I stil recieve the test email through webmail and phone. 
  • I have tried changing my password. 
  • I have tried restarting my machine. 
  • I hae tried it on another family members acount only to get the same error. 
  • When I go through the rest of the steps, and change the advanced settings, it wont even send the test email

Any help gratefully accepted. Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Damienab1
Accepted Solution

Re: Outlook 2010 setup error

Thanks Shelly,

It worked when I set incoming to 993 and outgoing to 587 - strange! 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Damien

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

I've asked our Technical Support team to take a look at your post in the morning and see what assistance they can offer :-)

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Damienab1

Thanks Steph, did they get back to you with any ideas? I havent heard anything

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

They'll post here themselves if they can offer support - in the meantime you can also speak with Technical Support directly on 133 933 for assistance

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Damienab1

Can I get you to check your email settings in Outlook 2010 and compare them to the settings which come up when you log into the following web page:

http://www.telstra.com/emailservercheck

- Ben

Damienab1

Hi Ben,

thanks for getting back to me. 

I have done that, screenshot attached. I get the following error now

Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): Your server unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

I have rechecked my network settings (and am able to get to this page etc.) so is not a network issue here.

Regards

Damien

bigpond-mailSettings.png

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Assuming that you also have the Outgoing mail requires authentication, these settings are correct. I would suggest changing the encryption type from TLS to SSL to see if that works better for you.

- Shelly

Damienab1
Accepted Solution

Thanks Shelly,

It worked when I set incoming to 993 and outgoing to 587 - strange! 

Thanks for your help

Regards

Damien

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now