Highlighted
IanBland
Level 1: Cadet

Outlook cannot send emails, recieves only.

Answered

A few days ago my outlook stopped sending emails - they sit in the outbox doing nothing. I'm on mail.bigpond.com server, ports are correct (tried both 587 and 485). When I try to test the settings I get the error "Send test e-mail message: The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

I've got a pop3/smtp additional mailbox in outlook that works fine (sending and receiving) but those settings don't work in my main account as it has not moved over yet. Modem is fine (tried restaring that). Turned computer off and on again as well.

Seems to be a issue for lots of people at the moment.

Suggestions welcomed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Outlook cannot send emails, recieves only.

Hey Everyone,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport  Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. So that you're able to see what the correct settings are for each BigPond email addresses that you have, please log in here with your primary BigPond Broadband email address and password.

I hope this helps and you'll be able to use your email facilities again. Let us know how you go with this. Any other issues though, you'll need to contact our Technical Support Team on 133 933 (24x7) or you can also chat to them. Thanks everyone.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
NotSoSuite
Level 2: Rookie

Same here.  

I use IMAP with the following:

outlook.office365.com  on port 587

Last few days has been dreadful slow sending to the point of timeout.  Our staff memebers using Outlook with EWS connections have it worse.  Mail stuck in Outbox for hrs.  Many have to keep closing and opening Outlook. (Obviously I'm talking Office365 rather than Bigpond...)

I can only suggest you try alternative Bigpond/Telstra SMTP servers if you can find them.

IanBland

Thanks for the info. I've even tried disabling my firewall/antivirus just in case that had updated itself and was blocked but still no joy. I've tried a few combos and different ports but nothing gets through. Definitely getting frustrated. I may have to brave the phoneline soon although that can be a painful experience :-)

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hey Everyone,

Firstly, welcome to CrowdSupport  Please stick around and offer any expertise you have in the range of topics here in our Community.

I'm really sorry for any inconvenience caused by this. So that you're able to see what the correct settings are for each BigPond email addresses that you have, please log in here with your primary BigPond Broadband email address and password.

I hope this helps and you'll be able to use your email facilities again. Let us know how you go with this. Any other issues though, you'll need to contact our Technical Support Team on 133 933 (24x7) or you can also chat to them. Thanks everyone.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

IanBland

Thanks Joe - I had seen that link (it confirms my original account is an older one and the additional mailbox is a new one). I've re-entered the info this morning (Saturday) and it has suddenly decided to work. Sends and receives now all ok. Thanks.

ianken51

I recently have experienced exactly the same issue. I can only receive e-mails in Outlook 2010 and cannot send. I have tried using the settings suggested to me last night from your 24x7 operator, but have had no luck.

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) version 6.1 with SP 3. I use AVG antivirus and MS Office Professional Plus.

For the present I can receive e-mails from ianhollis51@bigpond.com, but cannot send. This problem started on 10-05-2014. Seemed to work fine, although a little slow, until that evening. Now I can receive only.

Fortunately my gMail account is both sending and receiveing correctly. For the time being I shall send from gMail and simply receive on BigPondMail. I may decide to eventually move entirely to gMail if that proves more reliable.

By the way, I used your settings I located on https://messaging.bigpond.com/update/status.doc for ianhollis51@bigpond.com and diannehollis52@bigpond.com. Neither of the offered solutions has worked. Yet our gMail accounts work perfectly.

Please let me know as soon as possible how this matter may be solved.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi ianken51

There can be a couple of reasons as to why you can receive emails but not send. Please refer to our knowledge base on CrowdSupport for details: http://goo.gl/5sPTZZ

-Faaiz

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now