CrowdSupport®
JeremyEJ
Level 1: Cadet

Problems with sending or receiving emails

Hi all,

I have an email@bigpond.com email account that I have configured using the Gmail application on my Galaxy S5.

Only recently it stopped sending emails and queues them in my outbox.

I have checked the settings:

Incoming: imap-mail.outlook.com

Port: 993 SSL/TLS

Outgoing: smtp-mail.outlook.com

Port: 587 STARTTLS

Sign in required

On validation the incoming is OK , the outgoing gives me an error "couldn't open connection to server"

Appears only to be a problem from my mobile device.

Any help would be appreciated

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: Problems with sending or receiving emails

Hi JeremyEJ,

That isn't good to hear. I'd suggest having a look at the guides on this page: http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Email/ct-p/LSP_Email

More specifically the guide which has the heading "Set up Bigpond email on your tablet or mobile device"

-Matt W

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

kristyandru

It's not just a problem with tablets and mobiles. I haven't been able to get my email for five days now! My email client diagnostics can send test messages....eventually. I haven't changed anything on my end. So what's the go? The fact that the original question had 90 views tells me it's not MY problem. And your website ain't working too flash either, mate! Constant crashes.In fact it crashed while trying to send this. Had to switch to my tablet and it is painfully slow and may never make make it either.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi kristyandru,

Try using SSL instead of TLS.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

kristyandru

I've tried every setting I have. Nothing works. I was telling a work mate and she said she was having the same problem. She thought it was just her! Everybody thinks it's just them. It's NOT just them and it's NOT just me! What are the chances that those 100+ views on the original message are all of a sudden having problems with THEIR email client??? What is the common link here? Hmmmm. Telstra. No problem getting my gmail in the same email client. Please fix it. It's a pain to have to use my browser to get my email. Especially when it crashes or is painfully slow. And THAT is just Telstra, too. No problem with any other sites.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

I'd suggest getting in contact with our tech support team in relation to this so we can attempt to replicate the fault on our end.

You can reach them on 13 22 00 and say "mobile faults" or via live chat https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:ContactUs:Technical:Mobiles

-Matt W

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now