CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
mcunningham
Level 1: Cadet

Re-receiving old emails

Answered

Hi all,

Some weird stuff going on with my bigpond email account. 

On the 22nd of October my inbox started filling up with old, previously received emails to the tune of 1,277 receipts.  Again on the 29th another 1,366 previously received emails arrived again and then this morning, another 932.

Any clues?

Coincidently, I also have an open case with Telstra on my mobile phone account (Nokia Lumia 920) which last month somehow managed to use in excess of 80GB of data on a 3GB plan.  Telstra blocked data use, waived a portion of the bill and then unblocked data use in the new billing cycle and data use again went to 14GB in a couple of days.  Could there be a link between these two issues.  No resolution as yet from Telstra.

Regards,

Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Re-receiving old emails

Hi Michael,

When email clients check for email, they will see that there is x number of emails. If they don't download all of them, the next time it checks for emails, it will start at the beginning until it completes successfully.

To get around this I would recommend logging into your email account via webmail and delete the emails directly from the server.

This can also be avoided by setting the copy on the server to automatically delete after a certain number of days after it has been retrieved the first time. This is particularly useful when multiple devices are accessing the same mailbox.

Hope this helps

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Michael,

When email clients check for email, they will see that there is x number of emails. If they don't download all of them, the next time it checks for emails, it will start at the beginning until it completes successfully.

To get around this I would recommend logging into your email account via webmail and delete the emails directly from the server.

This can also be avoided by setting the copy on the server to automatically delete after a certain number of days after it has been retrieved the first time. This is particularly useful when multiple devices are accessing the same mailbox.

Hope this helps

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

mcunningham
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Shelley,

Well that makes sense.  I'll try the solution and see how it goes.  Appreciate the reply and enjoy your holidays :-)

Michael

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now