CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
belato
Level 2: Rookie

Receiving "[!! SPAM] Mail System Error - Returned Mail" emails to my Bigpond email

Answered

Hi all.

Over the past week I have been receiving 'returned mail' emails (example below). It appears as though someone is using my bigpond email address to send spam emails and when they are sent to incorrect addresses, the returned email notice is sent to my actual email inbox. Is this even possible???

They all have attachments (which obviously I haven't opened) but I am also wondering if they are just being made to look like they are being sent from bigpond/hotmail etc but are actually just attempts to get me to open the attachment?

Example 1:

From: Mail Administrator [mailtoSmiley Tongueostmaster@mx.bigpond.com]
Sent: Saturday, 27 September 2014 3:15 AM
To: xxxxxx@bigpond.com
Subject: [!! SPAM] Mail System Error - Returned Mail

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:

Each of the following recipients was rejected by a remote mail server.

The reasons given by the server are included to help you determine why each recipient was rejected.

Recipient: <asveen@voila.fr>

Reason:    5.1.1 Adresse d au moins un destinataire invalide. Invalid recipient. VLA_416 [416]

Please reply to <Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com> if you feel this message to be in error.

Example 2

From: postmaster@hotmail.com [mailtoSmiley Tongueostmaster@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 26 September 2014 7:15 AM
To: xxxxxx@bigpond.com
Subject: [!! SPAM] Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

fruchardthomas@hotmail.fr

Any help in relation to this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: Receiving "[!! SPAM] Mail System Error - Returned Mail" emails to my Bigpond email

Gday mate, no I think it's the later, you are being enticed to open the emails or whatever and then more than likely you'll end up with malware or whatever on your computer. Sometimes opening these dam things up ends up locking your compuetr up and they hold you to ransom to supoosedly get your files etc unlocked, Scammers these days are more inteligent than us mere mortals i'm afraid.

I've received the same sort of thing in the past, you'll get one or two and then they move on to someone else.

As long as your regular mail traffic is flowing Aok and nobody comes back and flags rubbish from your address going to there's.

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Receiving "[!! SPAM] Mail System Error - Returned Mail" emails to my Bigpond email

Hi Belato, it's Spam with a capital S.

DON'T open any attachments, mark them as rubbish in your email program.

Your usual send and recieve to associates is working OK I take it?

sig

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

belato

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for your reply but do you think that actual spam emails are being sent out to lots of other people using my email address (and I am receiving the returned mail notifications for the ones that fail) or do you think that the returned mail emails are simply being sent directly to me to entice me to open the attachment?

I am not even sure if the first option is possible (ie. someone is 'taking over' my email address to send out spam to loads of people) but I am obviously very concerned if that is the case!

If it's the latter option - just spam emails being sent directly to me but made to look like 'returned mail' emails - then I am less concerned and will just keep blocking the sender.

Your opinion would be appreciated. Thanks!

Level 21: Augmented

I don't think you are targeted i think its a random attack they replace the email addresses making it look like you sent the email

There is nothing to worry about if you don't open anything.

So as Jeff correctly pointed out, bin them and carry on
belato

Also yes, I think that my usual send and receive is working ok. I haven't noticed anything unusual so far.

belato

Great. Thanks GlennL. That's what I was hoping but wanted to check that others felt that way too. 

Accepted Solution

Gday mate, no I think it's the later, you are being enticed to open the emails or whatever and then more than likely you'll end up with malware or whatever on your computer. Sometimes opening these dam things up ends up locking your compuetr up and they hold you to ransom to supoosedly get your files etc unlocked, Scammers these days are more inteligent than us mere mortals i'm afraid.

I've received the same sort of thing in the past, you'll get one or two and then they move on to someone else.

As long as your regular mail traffic is flowing Aok and nobody comes back and flags rubbish from your address going to there's.

sig

View solution in original post

Toniareeves
Level 1: Cadet

That's all and good to say Jeff but when you are receiving 200 a night and its from the postmaster via bigpond it's so frustrating I'm ready to deleate my big pond account as it's not happening to Amy of my others I feel this is bigponds problem that needs to be addressed it says automatically generated and you can't block them !!! I rang and spoke to a bigpond representative and he said there is a problem with big pond accounts and they are hoping to fix it but it might take a few months why is this so ?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Tonia,

This could be due to a number of reasons. If you could provide a copy of the post master emails (minus any personal email addresses) this will give a better idea of what is happening.

Here is some further information on reporting and fighting spam.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

me-

I received SPAM Mail system Error as per the subject line.

It began on 24th November 2014.  Yesterday, 1st December Bigpond suspended my email address without any warning.  I have now been without email for 2 days.  I have telephoned Telstra support continuously for 2 days now to be advised that the job has been escalated and might be resolved in 4 days.  

It just happens that yesterday and today were critical dates for me to receive very important emails.  I am very distressed that senders to my email address are being told that it is an invalid address.

I need to be able to receive my emails urgently.  i cannot wait for 4 days. 

Tinadrinkell

Hi Jeff

Wonder if you can help me. I am getting a lot of spam emails and sending them to my junk emails. I think i should create a blocked senders list but can't see anywhere to do this in my bigpond email account. Any ideas please?

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Tinadrinkell, 

You should be able to do this in the settings of your webmail.

Try going to Settings > Messages > Rules. From there you can set up a rule to send all of the unwanted emails to your junk folder.

If your using outlook, try here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2398733

Alternatively our Email support page http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Email/ct-p/LSP_Email 

Otherwise please have a chat to our support team on 133933 who can guide you through this. 

Regards - 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Phil999

Hey, its no good diverting all email from Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com to spam folder, because if it is a genuine bounce, we won't know.

How about you stop the spam?

mission92

Hi

So we have been 'ígnoring' Mail administrator emails from Postmaster@mx.bigpond.com since 5th June this year. 3 to 15 or more a day and then sometimes they 'go away' for a week.

What can we do to stop them altogether?

Generally our emails seem to be working fine. Only one email address is affected. It is the primary email address. The other two 'daughter' email addresses don't get them. I got a call from a company we deal with saying their weekly statement email to us bounced back this week, that is to one of the 'daughter' email addresses. She said the email she received said our email address was trying to send spam.

Cheers

Sue

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Sue, 

You can start by running a virus and malware scan on all your computers to make sure that they are clean.  The next step will be to contact our Tech Support team on 133 933 or via Live Chat so they can check all your emails to see if any have been disabled for sending spam.

- Ben

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

anelie

i am also getting the same problem. Rang Telsta and they put me through to the Apple phone number? Why would they do that? Doesn't anyone at Telstra use a Mac??

And I keep geting cut off.

Can't send or receive emails and no it is my own domain not bigpond.com

still get the error refuse email from postmaster@mx.bigpond.com

Calling the Ombudsman in the morning

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey anelie,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

I'm sorry to hear that there have been issues with the sending and receiving of your emails via this Mac device Smiley Sad Do you know if any of your emails are getting through, or if they are just with the one provider that is having issues?

Are you able to provide us with a screen shot of the error message that you are receiving on these emails, with any personal information having been removed? 

As you have advised issues with this over the phone, would you be able to contact the Tech Team via their Live Chat service and see if this can be resolved further? They can be reached 24/7 via:

http://tel.st/gq6m

Almurrie

"Settings > Messages > Rules" so where is this on the page Telstra Personal for webmail? Completely useless advice!

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now