CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Sally33
Level 1: Cadet

Setting up bigpond email using Outlook 2013

Answered

I am trying to set up my bigpond email in my new Outlook 2013 and it's asking for the Microsoft Exchange Server and mailbox.... not sure what I am meant to put in these! Any help would be great.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Setting up bigpond email using Outlook 2013

Hi Sally33,

Unless you are setting up a corporate email account, chances are you want to choose the mailbox option.

BigPond email accounts are currently on two different mail platforms, so I would suggest using this link to confirm which platform and what the correct settings you should use are: http://bigpond.com/email-status

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
70 REPLIES 70
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Sally33,

Unless you are setting up a corporate email account, chances are you want to choose the mailbox option.

BigPond email accounts are currently on two different mail platforms, so I would suggest using this link to confirm which platform and what the correct settings you should use are: http://bigpond.com/email-status

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LJJ

Your mailbox is now with Outlook.com

Bigpond/Telstra Service (i.e. ADSL, HFC, Mobile Broadband)

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming IMAP server: imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Incoming IMAP mail: port 993
  • Outgoing SMTP server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Outgoing SMTP port: 587 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Incoming uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required) (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

Hi Shelly

I've followed the above instructions and whilst I can connect to the incoming server the 'test' message cannot connect to the outgoing server. Help me, please. Lindsay

genjen61

I am having the same trouble

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi genjen61,

If the issue is only with the outgoing, Try setting the outgoing mail server to SSL or AUTO, and after that change, make sure that the port is still 465.

- Shelly

LPsol

I have set up my account - it can log onto the incoming server but I get an error for the test message - it states outlook cannot connect to the outgoing server. I have tried the actions above and its not working. advice please?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey LPsol,

You're using the settings listed here: http://bigpond.com/email-status ?

Brodie

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Maryh,

If you follow this link: http://bigpond.com/email-status it will give you instructions for the older platform. Otherwise you can opt-in to migrate to outlook.com here: http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email

Brodie

scribbler

HI I'm on the "old' platofrm- stil can't set up and get th following

"Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP)."

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi scribbler, 

The message you are getting indicates that you are either not connected to the internet or one of the settings for your outgoing mail server is incorrect.  If you use your email address to log onto the following website http://bigpond.com/email-status it will give you the settings you need to enter into your 3rd party mail program or app, e.g. Outlook 2007 etc.

If you have followed the settings correctly and are still getting this error, try changing the outgoing mail encryption setting to AUTO, you can also try changing the outgoing port to 465. 

If you are still having troubles with the old platform, you can migrate to the new Outlook.com platform.  To do this go to the following website http://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/extras/#tab-bigpond-email, at the bottom of the page it says Update email, click on the + symbol to the left of it and follow the instructions.

- Ben D

Debz2308

Hi I have just purchased Outlook 2013 and set it up as per all the correct settings but its not working.

It was working for a couple of days then just stopped.

No emails are coming into my inbox and it take ages to even try and receive emails - I keep getting this message down the bottom of the screen

SCYNCHRONIZING INBOX

help!!!!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Debz2308

Are you able to access your emails successfully when you sign into the webmail version of your inbox?

mipabeal
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have just finished recovering my laptop back to factory settings, and installing all relevant software.

After installing Office 2013, I opened up Outlook to configure my email accounts and was met with a dialog box for Microsoft Exchange Server, asking me to complete the Server and Mailbox names, before it can proceed any further. Regardless of what I put in here, it doesn't go any further.......the setting appear to be ignored.

tamxir

Does anyone actually HAVE settings that work for Outlook 2013 ? All the links on this topic lead to the BigPond Account page or have been removed.

Yes, my BigPond email address is apparently an Outlook.com one but the settings above don't work.

I get the error "A secure connection to the server cannot be established". The test email however oddly worked with the settings - Outgoing Server mail.bigpond.com, no authentication port 25 encryption Auto.

Can this thread be deleted as it ranks high in Google search and the information is obviously out of date and very frustrating to BigPond email users trying to get their emails into Outlook 2013. Not everyone wants webmail you know.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Tamxir,

I have the incoming/outgoing servers you need, you can find them here: http://go.telstra.com.au/helpandsupport/-/email-settings-summary

Is your email still hosted on MyConnect? If not, if is on the newer platform then you may be using outdated settings.

Brodie

MeganJT
Level 2: Rookie

So, still no solution here! I can't believe it is so damned difficult! Gmail set up in 5 minutes flat in Outlook.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi MeganJT, 

Im sorry to hear that you have still had no luck getting this resolved.

If the support tools that Brodie_Telstra has provided in this thread, please contact us and we will go through further troubleshooting with you. 

Regards -

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

MeganJT

Thanks, I've tried Live Chat and was waiting for three hours yesterday with no response. I'm trying again today.
MeganJT

Just to let you know, I got through to Llive Chat and Myra was very helpful. It turns out that I'm not running Outlook.com, which is why my email account is still POP3 using the old mail.bigpond.com servers. If I'd known that I could have set it up days ago. How confusing!!

The links above don't go to anything except the Telstra Media home page. I can't find where I would look to work out which email version I have. 

rlrt

Having similar issues with connecting Outlook 2013 to Telstra. The links in this thread simply take you Telstra Media Page and are, simply, useless. Looks like a call to telstra Help.

Caz67

I spent 50 mins on the phone to Telstra Tech today trying to set up my mother's Bigpond email on MS Outlook 2010 running Windows XP to no avail. Although the tech (Axl) was very willing to help, it took a long time to work out that you can't do it anymore, no matter how many times you change the variations listed in the forums, ie. POP3 or IMAP? SSL or TSL? Port 445 or 587? After logging in to Webmail, low and behold, there are all my 'Test Msgs'! But these did not show in my MS Outlook 2010 that Mum is used to running! Argh! If anyone else knows the correct settings for Bigpond setup on MS Outlook 2010, please let me know! :-)
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Caz67,

Take a look through the following link which should assist you, however it is important that when you select the Account Type in Outlook 2010 that it must match the settings that you are trying to configure.

EG:  If you select POP when you create the account in Outlook 2010, you can't just change the settings later to use IMAP. You need to delete and create a new one with IMAP for the Account Type.

http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Problems-with-sending-or-receiv...

- Shelly

BenjiB

Hi team,

After upgrading from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2013, I can no longer receive my emails.With Outlook 2010 I used the POP settings for my account and now when I try to receive my emails I get the error 'Unknown Error 0x80040600'

I have checked my settings against http://support.telstra.com.au/t5/Set-Up/BigPond-settings-for-POP-IMAP-and-SMTP/ta-p/398464 and they all match. I even tried to setup a new account within Outlook using the IMAP settings with no luck. Using IMAP I receive a message that it cannot connect to ougoing SMTP server.

I have followed the advice at http://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Bigpond-Email-Inc-Windows-Live/Problems-with-sending-or-receiv... including updating my password to meet the rules & even logged into OneDrive to see if I had suddenly missed some T&Cs.

I have tried to go through to LiveChat Tech Support a number of times tonight but just stay in queue until it boots me. Is https://livechat.telstra.com/TCOM:ContactUs:Technical:Email 24x7 also?

Cheers

Ben

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey BenjiB, 

We'll get our Tech Guys to take a look at your post when they get in next :-) 

And yes - all of our Live Chat services are 24x7 there aren't any that have closing times.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi BenjiB,

First of all, can you access your emails via Webmail? 

When you created the account using the IMAP settings, hopefully you removed the previous one where you tried to set up as POP first and created the IMAP type.

Also, when checking with Microsoft, they advise that it may be linked to a corrupt file for Outlook. Take a look at these links as they may help you to resolve this. Please let me know how you go with this.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/ac53a953-19d6-4811-940e-e8c843e2c85b/0x8004...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814441

- Shelly

BenjiB

Thanks Shelly,

I am able to access my emails via Webmail and also on my mobile (as an Exchange ActiveSync). When I tried using the IMAP settings I did start it as a fresh mail profile with no apparent link back to my POP acct. I have also tried the steps listed by Microsoft before reaching out for TechSupport.

That all said, I have just managed to add the account to Outlook 2013 as an Exchange Active Sync account using the server settings as listed on my phone. So far it seems to now be working.

Cheers, Ben

LauraPower

Are you aware the "email-status" link goes nowhere useful.

robmail

im haveing the same issue with outlook 2010 up till last week was working fine now rejects my password and asks for diffrent password but yet can log into my webmail with same password.......ive had 3 seprate techs look into this with no way of fixing the issue .........all my settings are corect as per the tc setting up a new account .......... can we exspect this to ever be resolved ?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi robmail, 

We'll ask our Technical Support Team to take a look at your post when they're in next

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi robmail, 

Can you log into this link and confirm the mail server that your BigPond email address is being hosted on?

Alternatively, you may find this online troubleshooter helpful: https://www.telstra.com.au/webforms/cares/

- Shelly

robmail

yeah followed all options and also had a tech support do a remote set up wich failed none of this is of any help if even tech support couldnt get it to work right when they where setting it up and no im not going to chat or calling big pond and i am seriously considering a move to a diffrent isp ....... get your act together or lose a 8+ year coustomer

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Can you confirm which mail platform it said your emails are hosted on?

- Shelly

MelGibson

Mine is having the same error. I have tried over the phone and online chat but haven't actually found anyone who can help me

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MelGibson,

So that I can provide the right information, can you please log in here and advise if your BigPond mailbox is being hosted on Outlook.com or the original BigPond Mail server.

- Shelly

robmail

not hosten on the new outlook system followed the settings still makes no diffrence still wont accept username/password

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi robmail.

We'll get our Tech Team to take a look at your post when they're in next :-) 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for confirming robmail.

The settings that should be configured are: 

• Incoming POP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Incoming POP mail: port 995
  • Outgoing SMTP server: mail.bigpond.com
  • Outgoing SMTP: 587
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required)
  • Authentication Outgoing server (SMTP) authentication: Same as incoming mail server

Can you confirm that these are the settings that you currently have configured? 

When you go into the Account settings, do you have multiple accounts listed or just the one?

Have you tried configuring an alternate email program (eg: Mozilla Thunderbird) to test?

- Shelly

robmail

tried with thunderbird same result all settings correct and password and username correct but it wont accept my password ......... this is driving me nuts.......all the settings are correct all the password and username is correct as i  can use it for the webmail log in so it has to be something telstra,s end

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update robmail.

I will send you a private message shortly.

- Shelly

farmer2

I'm having problems too

been on the phone with 2 different big pond people and gave them control of my pc and still couldnt get the incoming side of things to work. If anyone has cracked it yet please advise

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Farmer2,

As you can see from this thread, the first thing that we need to know is which mail platform your BigPond email address is hosted on. This can be confirmed by logging in here: http://www.telstra.com/emailservercheck

Are you able to send and receive email via Webmail?

What are the settings that you currently have configured (for incoming and outgoing)  in your email program, Outlook 2013?

- Shelly

SteveD1

Just a quick word of advice for those that use 2 step verification on their Live account. You will need to go to the Security settings of your Live account and generate an App password that you use instead of your webmail access password.

once that's sorted I found these settings worked for me;

1. Incoming Mail Server: pop3.live.com

2. Outgoing SMTP Server: smtp.live.com

More Settings tab enter;

Outgoing server tab click on "My out going server (SMTP) requires authentication". Use same settings as as my incoming server should be selected by default. and;

Advanced tab

1. Incoming server Port: 995 and check "uses SSL"

2. Outgoing server port 587 and select TSL.

As I said, this worked for me but, it took two days to discover what the problem was and despite incredible support from 3 Bigpond staff no one picked up that the account used 2 step verification.

KylieT

Hi

After DAYS  of messing around I finally got the settings right...I basically used what this person did even though his/hers came up in error it worked for me...in the end I just got desperate and was trying anyting that others tried hoping it would work for me and it did....the app on my iphone 5C was sending and recieving but i couldn't send and recieve as an addtional account using Outlook 2010 MS. this is so frustrating to have multiple "platforms" or formats.

I couldn't even find if my bigpond service was via Outlook or not, it was just hit and miss in the end. 

These are the settings I used to get it all to work....good luck people! your'e going to need a stiff drink to get you through this mess.

Bigpond/Telstra Service (i.e. ADSL, HFC, Mobile Broadband)

• Account Type: IMAP
  • Incoming IMAP server: imap-mail.outlook.com
  • Incoming IMAP mail: port 993
  • Outgoing SMTP server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
  • Outgoing SMTP port: 587 (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
  • Outgoing uses SSL: On (this is required) (with TLS [preferred] or SSL Encryption depending on your e mail app)
BarbaraAdams

KylieT,

Huge thanks for this. Worked for me. Struggling to understand why the 'simple' process of installing Office 2013 caused such frustration. Very thankful you put all the answers in one post.

Have a great day.

SonnyM

Follow these settings, it will always work!
PMcK

Hi i have been reading all of these posts and my email address is on the old bigpond system

i have set up as per instructions Pop3 Mail.bigpond.com in and out port 995 ssl 587 or 465 enc ssl etc

but just come up with error 0x8004010f on send and receive

which microsoft say its a corrupt data file which it cant be as its a brand new office install with a legitimate disk and Win7 pro also the test messages are sent as correct and come up on webmail but not back to outlook 2013

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi,

Data corruption can occur on new PC's.  

There is a link to the Microsoft support site which shows how to fix this error:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2659085

- Ben

PMcK

Ok Problem resolved when you install Outlook 2013 it creates a personal data file pst which sets itself as the default 

this stops eveything from working so you need to set your email address as the Default in the Data file tab

pistoph

I am trying to set up my Bigpond mailbox on Outlook 2013 on a 64 bit Windows 8.1 machine.

I have followed all of the suggestions, looked at the recommended Knowledge Base article, removed and recreated my profile via Control Panel. When I try to test the account settings I get a failure logging in to the incoming server. The error message says that the server has unexpectedly terminated the session, which may be due to a server error or a long period of inactivity.

I can connect successfully to the server using Windows Mail, and access the test messages that are being sent during the creation of the profile, so I know that my account is working, but for some reason I still can't get Outlook to log in successfully. It seems weird to me. It is not as if Outlook is an uncommon mail client, but it appears from this thread that I am not the only one having problems getting connected.

Any suggestions?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi pistoph,

Try logging in via this link  http://tel.st/n59y which will take you through to a page that advises the settings that should be used.

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now