Highlighted
Newbii
Level 1: Cadet

Strange email address

Answered
I received an email from a strange address. It was like this.... 6149******9@telstra.online.com.au who is it from? What is that type of email address used for? How do I get one similar?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: Strange email address

That's an fake email address, pretending to be from a mobile phone. They used to be common (amongst us nerds) in the early 2000's, but the telstra and online are in the wrong order in this case.

Online.com.au is owned by some guy in South Australia, but is inactive and doesn't have a mail server associated with it currently.

It is Spam.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

That's an fake email address, pretending to be from a mobile phone. They used to be common (amongst us nerds) in the early 2000's, but the telstra and online are in the wrong order in this case.

Online.com.au is owned by some guy in South Australia, but is inactive and doesn't have a mail server associated with it currently.

It is Spam.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Newbii
Level 1: Cadet

Why would someone use it? What could they access if I reply to it? And where would my reply REALLY go if it's not real?

It all depends on how the email is structured. If there are links in the email, then they could take you to a fake site, or download malicious software. There could be an attachment containing malicious code.

Or the return email address may not be the same as the one displayed, in which case they are probably phishing.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now