Highlighted
rherber1
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Suddenly, can't send or receive email

Answered

I like to use Eudora as my email client. It has been working without problems as a POP account on Telstra Mail since this service was instituted in 2016. I have not made any changes to the settings for incoming and outgoing servers in Eudora.

Yesterday it was working perfectly as always but when I tried to download new emails today I was greeted with a pop-up saying;

The server's SSL certificate was rejected for the following reason Certificate Error: Unknown and unprovided root certificate Eudora's Task Error message says; SSL negotiation failed: Unknown and unprovided root certificate. Certificate bad: Host name does not match host name in certificate. But ignoring this error because Certificate is trusted. The connection with the server has been lost.

I have made no changes at all since last using Eudora yesterday. Even when I elect to trust the new certificate it still won't allow me to receive or send email in Eudora. I can't get into Certificate Manager when I select Tools/Options/Checking mail/and hit the Last SSL info button. When I hit this button I get a Eudora message pop-up saying; You have never checked mail using an SSL connection with this personality since the last time you started Eudora (or a negotiation is in progress with this personality).

Has any other Eudora user had a similar problem? Regards Ross Herbert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rherber1
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

Re: Suddenly, can't send or receive email- resolved

I discovered a helpful moderated discussion list here http://www.listmoms.net/index.html

On the left side menu there is a Eudora - Win button which leads to http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/index.html

I would recommend that Eudora users might like to join the list using the command as shown on this page. After joining you will receive a daily update on the latest queries posed by other Eudora users looking for help to solve problems such as the current problem I am having with SSL server certificates.

I posted my problem on the list and I was greeted with a reply by a Richard C. who is a subscriber to the list and also a Bigpond customer. This is what Richard suggested;

I'm a bit foggy on all this, but what you could try is:

In Tools/Options/Checking Mail, uncheck Send On Check to ensure that you're only doing one thing at a time.

(Note:- after successful completion of this procedure, re-check this option)

Close and reopen Eudora to kill anything in progress. Click on Tools Personalities, then right click on one and select Check Mail to make sure that this will be the last SSL error. (Note;- if you have only the Dominant personality then just right click on it and select Check Mail)

In response to attempting to access the pop.telstra.com server to Check Mail you will receive a pop-up message related to the new SSL server certificate error.

Answer NO to Trust This Certificate?

Right click again on the personality and select Properties.

On the Incoming tab click Last SSL and then the Certificate Information Manager button.

At the top of the list under Server Certificates click on the + sign to open the list. Keep drilling down to the bottom where there's one with a crossed skull; Click on this entry and then click Add to Trusted.

Now hit OK all the way out and try checking mail for only that personality again.

You will probably encounter a similar certificate error pop-up again so repeat the same procedure as above in the Certificate Information Manager. You will probably have to drill down a bit more to get to the bottom.

Following these instructions I found I had to repeat the steps related to Add to Trusted  only twice and then I was able to send and receive email again.

If everything is correct then the Certificate Information Manager Server Certificates at the top should look like this.

Certificate Manager.jpgCertificate Information Manager

And the User Trusted Certificate list should be like this;

User Trusted Certificates.jpgUser Trusted Certificates

Hope this helps Eudora users who have Certificate Error problems.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Suddenly, can't send or receive email

WOW, I did not know Eudora still existed!!!

Your problem might be exactly same as in this https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Broadband/Mail-can-t-identify-server-on-my-imac/td-p/740... See my explanation there. Just change your pop setting to use pop.telstra.com

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
rherber1

Eudora still exists - even though unsupported. It even works on Win10.

I am using the suggested POP settings as on the Bigpond website
https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/email/set-up/imap-pop-and-smtp-information-for-manual-em... for Telstra Mail.
rherber1

Further to my initial post, here are some screen grabs of settings and error messages etc.

If I set the SSL to Never in Sending Mail (insecure) I can successfully send.

Note that when SSL is set to required Alternate Port (587) the Certificate Error as shown pops up when sending an email, Also the SSL report (Last SSL info) shows the smtp port as 465. Now that is strange No?

Ports.jpgPortsChecking SSL Report.jpgChecking SSL ReportSending Certificate Error.jpgSending Certificate Error ReportSending SSL Report.jpgSending SSL Report

rherber1

Thanks to Richard C (who replied by email), his detailed description of what I could try to resolve the new SSL server certificates which Telstra had implemented overnight on 1/3/18 - 2/3/18. After following his suggestions I am now able to send and receive email again.

When Telstra is about to make changes to SSL server certificates it would be nice to have a forewarning they are going to do so. It is no fun when suddenly your email client refuses to send or receive because of something they have done. Trying to sort out the headache which results causes extreme angst and worry. Please, Telstra- show some courtesy.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Hi @rherber1

Do you mind posting the info in here please in case other people run into the same issue?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
rherber1
Accepted Solution Solution Verified by Telstra

I discovered a helpful moderated discussion list here http://www.listmoms.net/index.html

On the left side menu there is a Eudora - Win button which leads to http://www.listmoms.net/eudora-win/index.html

I would recommend that Eudora users might like to join the list using the command as shown on this page. After joining you will receive a daily update on the latest queries posed by other Eudora users looking for help to solve problems such as the current problem I am having with SSL server certificates.

I posted my problem on the list and I was greeted with a reply by a Richard C. who is a subscriber to the list and also a Bigpond customer. This is what Richard suggested;

I'm a bit foggy on all this, but what you could try is:

In Tools/Options/Checking Mail, uncheck Send On Check to ensure that you're only doing one thing at a time.

(Note:- after successful completion of this procedure, re-check this option)

Close and reopen Eudora to kill anything in progress. Click on Tools Personalities, then right click on one and select Check Mail to make sure that this will be the last SSL error. (Note;- if you have only the Dominant personality then just right click on it and select Check Mail)

In response to attempting to access the pop.telstra.com server to Check Mail you will receive a pop-up message related to the new SSL server certificate error.

Answer NO to Trust This Certificate?

Right click again on the personality and select Properties.

On the Incoming tab click Last SSL and then the Certificate Information Manager button.

At the top of the list under Server Certificates click on the + sign to open the list. Keep drilling down to the bottom where there's one with a crossed skull; Click on this entry and then click Add to Trusted.

Now hit OK all the way out and try checking mail for only that personality again.

You will probably encounter a similar certificate error pop-up again so repeat the same procedure as above in the Certificate Information Manager. You will probably have to drill down a bit more to get to the bottom.

Following these instructions I found I had to repeat the steps related to Add to Trusted  only twice and then I was able to send and receive email again.

If everything is correct then the Certificate Information Manager Server Certificates at the top should look like this.

Certificate Manager.jpgCertificate Information Manager

And the User Trusted Certificate list should be like this;

User Trusted Certificates.jpgUser Trusted Certificates

Hope this helps Eudora users who have Certificate Error problems.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now