Inspector
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Thunderbird won't allow Security settings for Big Pond

Answered

Had being using Thunderbird for a while to access my emails on the Bigpond.com platform (not Outlook.com) and decided to change to Windows Live Mail.  Eventually found WLM was too "clutsy"  so attempted to go back to Thunderbird.  Initial attempts to re-connect failed and after many attempts, using all of the Server/Port/Security settings  I could find on the internet (including Crowd Support), eventually deleted the program and reloaded it.  The auto Settings configuration worked to a certain extent then required manual manipulation. Again, I attempted to load the various settings suggested by various sites and continued to get either a message stating that "the settings on my SMTP Server were incorrect and to verify" or a drop-down showing that the client was connected to Bigpond but this always timed out.  The following are the ONLY Server/Security/Port settings that allow me to send/receive emails but I am concerned with the apparent  lack of security.

Incoming Server:  mail.bigpond.com

Port: 110

User Name: myemail@bigpond.com

Security:  None

Authentication:  Password transmitted unsecurely

Ougoing server:  mail.bigpond.com

Port:  25

User Name: myemail@bigpond.com

Security:  None

Authentication: Password transmitted unsecurely

My O.S. is Windows 10

P.S.  I've just noticed that WLM doesn't have security enabled (SLS) on my computer and that was set "as is" when Essentials was installed and WLM autmoatically connected to Bigpond..

I suppose my questions now are: -

(1)  Do these email clients need SSL/TLs to be enabled on either or both of the Servers and how dangerous is it not to have them enabled?

(2) If I should enable l them, how do I do so and still connect to Bigpond? 

Thanks in anticipation of any assistance or information.

The Inspector

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inspector
Accepted Solution

Re: Thunderbird won't allow Security settings for Big Pond

SOLVED.  I continued to experiment with various settings  and finally discovered password issues 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
2 REPLIES 2
Inspector
Accepted Solution

SOLVED.  I continued to experiment with various settings  and finally discovered password issues 

Highlighted
oates
Level 2: Rookie

Your settings were the only ones that worked for me. I have just spent an hour trying to get Thunderbird to send emails after setting up in a new house. All worked fine before on the previous settings.

Telstra does not have Thunderbird on their help which is very inconvenient.

Thankyou, Inspector!!!

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now