CrowdSupport®
Davo6970
Level 2: Rookie

Unable to reach email provider/ Outlook.live/ windows 10

I have a new laptop and have the 'Mail' program that comes standard with Windows 10. I think I have successfully set it up. (Don't like it though). One problem with it is I get a repeated message that my icloud settings need fixing. HOW and what are the settings I should be using? Next issue is that I want to use outlook which seems to be on the laptop however it's not receiving any e-mail although I could send e-mail Smiley Sad I try to use the syncing method but I receive the message @we were unable to reach your e-mail provider. Check your server settings or try later." I have internet connection, I have tried later multiple times and I just aren't sure that the settings are right or wrong. I HAVE SPENT DAYS ON THIS AND TO MAKE THINGS WORSE I AM OVERSEAS TRYING TO GET THIS SORTED Smiley Sad HELP Smiley Happy
Regards
Chris

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Unable to reach email provider/ Outlook.live/ windows 10

Hey Davo6970,

I'm sorry to hear of the issues with having your email set up on this new laptop and apologise for any inconvenience this has caused Smiley Sad I do have the following settings for having this email address set up correctly on this email platform at 

https://tel.st/zs5f6

As you are overseas it may also be best to use the Webmail service to send and receive emails until you return home. This can be accessed from the account services site at 

https://tel.st/nnzvh

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Davo6970

No luck DingoDan Smiley Sad

Same bloody message Smiley Sad

This problem is occurring via the office outlook mail program.

The other issue is:-

I am getting bigpond email via 'Mail', that's all good, but I want to use Office. That doesn't seem possible at the moment.

But 'Mail' will not receive or send icloud email.

Frustrating to be sure.

Regards
Chris
Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry to hear of the continued issues with this email service Smiley Sad

The next step to receive further assistance with these issues would be with our tech team. They can be reached via our Live Chat service after 9am EST Mon-Sun at

https://tel.st/4gb4v

Let us know how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

shooterau
Level 6: Bloodhound

Forget the settings they maybe right but a few of us are having syncing problem and getting the same message Bigpond knows about it but not all the support people for some reason maybe because NBN is involved they are working on it so they tell me 

shooterau

They know about the issue and claim to be working on it hopeful for it to be fixed soon

shooterau

Dingo Dan Live chat will check it for you and go into remote access and then tell you Oh we only do Limited support for outlook have tried a few different Live chat Tech Better going to Bigpond Assurance Team some of them seem to know about the problem but not how to fix it as yet I have it with the Platinum team waiting for them to get back with a fix

Davo6970

Thanks Shooterau.

Seems to be consistent with all the responses I viewed prior to posting here myself. Bloody annoying but this seems to be the 'norm' Smiley Sad

Regards
Chris
shooterau

Right Chris try this it worked for me Go into Outlook when you try to set up your Email Type in Name Email Password forget incoming settings Just put in Outgoing smtp.telstra.com 465 Ok try that see how you go

Davo6970

Shooterau,

Is this what you'd expect to see as I am having issues.

I don't think I'm entering the right Info.

Not sure about 'Display name'.

I'm entering my Bigpond address in 'email address' then password.

Do I then tick the manually configure box before pressing 'ok'?????

Annotation 2019-09-09 235649.png

Regards
Chris
shooterau

Display name that is what people will see when they receive your email

Email Address

Password 

Manually

Ok

Then no Imap or Pop incoming

Go to outgoing and type in 

smtp.telstra.com

Then Ok

It should put your email Address in Manage Accounts and you should be set to Go

Fingers Crossed

Davo6970

Shooterau

One question. What do you put in as your 'username'? There's a box for that too.

And do you leave the pre-filled incoming port as is?

Regardless, I did all of the above but the ok button won't come alive so all I can do is cancel Smiley Sad

This is ridiculous. Smiley Sad

Regards
Chris
shooterau

Username is your email address and password from your service provider Click Manually then Ok leave the Incoming empty if it puts the details in backspace them out only use outgoing email server smtp.telstra.com 465 then ok and it should work

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Davo6970,

Have you been able to have any success with the further details shooterau has mentioned? 

Davo6970

Unfortunately this is not working Smiley Sad

The 'ok' box will not activate again. Ie. allow me to select 'ok'

Regards
Chris
Davo6970

Unfortunately no it's not working Smiley Sad
The 'ok' box will not activate again. Ie. allow me to select 'ok'

Regards
Chris
Support Team
Support Team

Is the issue specific to the email set up on Outlook? 

Highlighted
Davo6970

@IvanS wrote:

Is the issue specific to the email set up on Outlook? 

Yes Ivan,
Bigpond and icloud are working fine with Windows mail but when I try to set them up on outlook...….No go Smiley Sad
Is this then someone else's issue?

Regards
Chris

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now