CrowdSupport®
Rix_Jazz
Level 2: Rookie

Using the Outlook 'Sync email' function to receive Telstra email

Approximately 4 weeks ago I stopped receiving my Telstra email into my Outlook Inbox. I've made 3 web chats and 2 phone calls since, and I really feel I'm either talking to scripted dummies or they think I'm a fool. Here's some background... Outlook.com has a feature where I can 'Sync email' from 'Other email accounts' (see attached image). I have used this feature successfully to sync my Telstra email into my Outlook Inbox until I realised that I wasn't receiving my Telstra emails. To troubleshoot the issue, I deleted my email address from the list of 'Manage your connected accounts' to re-add it, and I keep receiving the error "We were unable to reach your email service provider...". In tests, it seems that both the IMAP server and the incoming POP server are unreachable, however, I can send emails via the SMTP server. I've added other email accounts in Outlook to check if this is an Outlook issue. This is not the case as confirmed with the Telstra technicians I've spoken with, but unfortunately they don't have the deep technical knowledge apart from the information I can readily search online to troubleshoot at a basic level. I am aware of workarounds like accessing via webmail. This is not the most efficient process for users who amalgamate their emails centrally. The purpose of having synchronised accounts is that emails can be managed on multiple devices without having to duplicate actions such as deleting, sorting in folders, etc.

Telstra, please update users if there is currently an IMAP server issue for Outlook connected accounts to Telstra.com or BigPond.com email addresses? If there are any IP addresses that can be supplied as a further test, this would be handy.

P.S. It is unacceptable to wait over 4 weeks for a broken process that isn't my faultTelstra imap error.jpg

ACE

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
37 REPLIES 37
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Using the Outlook 'Sync email' function to receive Telstra email

I very vaguely recall seeing something about issues with outlook.com and Telstra mail. 

I'll see if I can find out if I'm either seeing things or whether there was

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 25: The Singularity

Yes. There has been an issue with Outlook.com not being able to sync with the Telstra Mail servers.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
shooterau
Level 6: Bloodhound

Yes I have the same problem no emails for two days and won't send through Outlook .com just give Can't send now try later  When i check settings in outlook emails show failed to update in outlook 

Support Team
Support Team

We were working to fix an issue that meant some customers were unable to access Telstra mail via https://tel.st/2smap. Your email was still available via https://tel.st/7v554 and webmail apps in the meantime though. 

The issue is no longer listed on our outage page & if you'd ever need assistance with your Telstra email or would like us to investigate an issue with it, please chat with us securely online here 

Please choose "Entertainment & Apps" & then "Email" from the drop-down options. 

I apologise for any inconvenience experienced. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Alan86
Level 1: Cadet

I have had the exact same issue since the 12th August.  

I need to use outlook live.  When are you intending to deliver a fix?  How can you take it off the outage page, when it is still an outage?  Customers shouldn't have to dig for an hour through google, to find this information!

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Alan86, 

Sorry to hear of the Outlook email issues still ongoing. Be best to use our email technical support via the steps Shannon gave so we can check on this for you. 

Let us know if this is not resolved though. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

M115

The answer from Telstra above about going to technical support is not good enough.

This issue as outlined above by other Telstra users commenced for me about four days before the message about a bigpond outlook problem appeared on the Telstra outage page. While this outage message has since been deleted Telstra have not fixed the problem. 

It is fine to say you can use webmail but using outlook was a way for me to be able to view home emails during the day on my phone.

I tested again about 30 mins ago and outlook.com will still not connect to Telstra server to add bigpond account settings. As this problem started four days before Telstra added the message to their site to say they were having difficulties and I did not know it was a Telstra problem I deleted the settings in outlook and now can setup again as when I try to outlook cannot connect to Telstra server. 

Come on Telstra please get this problem fixed.  By the posts here it is still a problem.

You need to give technical support a call on 133933 as nobody here has access to fix anything. Crowdsupport is not technical support. It is mainly a forum where customers try to help solve other customers problems.

Unfortunately,  this is one of those times when you need to speak to the real technical support people.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
shooterau

We wish I have had this problem for at least a week Contacted Telstra was told not our problem it is Outlook contact outlook not our problem Had Bigpond tech remote my Computer two times both times oh we only do Limted support with Outlook then cut you off without any Thanks you then contacted Microsoft contact Telstra not us Telstra say use webmail it is easier to use Outlook Then told delete email address and retype them in As others have said outlook then won't find Telstra servers So we are going around in circles I know everyone here are trying to help But we seems to be getting the run around from everybody who should be able to help

shooterau

Have tried two times only to be told no can do Only limited support Then cut off so no help this way Thanks for your answer 

shooterau

Still not resolved and Tech Support doesn't seem to be able to help and then Hang up on you so you get nowhere

Support Team
Support Team

Hi, I am sorry about this situation. Our Assurance Team should be able to help with this. May I ask if you are using a @bigpond.com address

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

shooterau

@bigpond.com and @bigpond.net.au

Support Team
Support Team

thank you for that information. Can I ask if you can check for the correct setting for your email at https://tel.st/phf8u

shooterau

Yes when one didn't work tried another but they all gave the same answer could not connect to server 

Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for replying and I would certainly check in with our Broadband Assurance Team on 133 933 (24x7) about what is the actual issue and how this can be resolved. It could be an issue with the actual server.

Please let me know if you don't mind?

shooterau

Will do Thanks

M115

Hi 

This problem for me started on 12 August as other users have indicated.  Accessing my Telstra bigpond emails on my phone via outlook.com has worked fine for a year or two. 

My email address is a bigpond.net.au.

I know I am using correct pop mail settings as printed out page of Telstra mail settings and also same settings I use on my home computer.

If a number of us have the same problem surely it should not be the mail settings.  

shooterau

Yes there is a problem with the Sync between Telstra and outlook  now they want me to use Platinum to try to fix the problem so Telstra fault/outlook to get it fixed by the look of it So i think we will all be in the same boat

shooterau

Hi contacted the number given and they didn't have a clue very helpful person knew what they were doing but no luck  as they checked and there is still a problem with the Sync between Telstra and Outlook so now looks like a platinum Job ouch

Support Team
Support Team

I'm sorry to read that tech support couldn't resolve the issue, @shooterau. Please let us know what our Platinum team advise in regards to this.

Rix_Jazz

Have you found out anything in your search on this issue? I've got nothing satisfactory from the Telstra tech support.

ACE
Highlighted
Rix_Jazz

Thank you for confirming that I'm not the only one experiencing such issues with email syncing to Outlook. However, I'm still seeking a resolution on this one. Let me know if you find one.

ACE
Rix_Jazz

Thanks ShannonD for your support. I've heard and read plenty of 'apologies for any inconvenience', but do you think it's acceptable for a customer to wait over 7 weeks for an email incident to be resolved. Over 1 week, and you're already testing people's patience - 7 is absolutely ridiculous. I am already aware of the workaround options as per my original or initial post. I need this resolved. I don't really want to access my emails from different webmail sites or Inboxes. The whole reason for having synced mailboxes is for efficiency and simplicity. Why is this broken 'imap.telstra.com' server link not reachable or broken?

ACE
Rix_Jazz

Hi MammaB, I use a @telstra.com email address. Suffice to say, I've never really had an issue with connecting to the imap.telstra.com to receive my Telstra emails. Have a look at the screenshot posted in my original message, which should give you a visual on the error I'm experiencing for the last 7 weeks in trying to sync with Outlook.com. What is the contact number for your Assurance Team? And who in the team is best placed to deal and resolve such an incident?

ACE
Rix_Jazz

Hi CodaR, why is the issue not on the Telstra outage page? Also, is there different Telstra outage pages for different issues? Please let me know what is or our the correct links. Thanks.

ACE
M115

Hi It is not just connecting by imap that is the only problem.  I was connecting my bigpond.net.au to outlook.com pop as I use it just to read home emails on my android phone using the outlook app.  I also manage my email at home via pop. 

So both imap and pop appear to be not working. It is like the Telstra server is blocking any connection since 12 August.

shooterau

I have spoken to Bigpond assurance team and they knew nothing about our problem when they tried to see what was going on with them trying to use my email system they found out so hopefully it will soon be fixed I have been contacted to Platinum service at what cost I don't know but they knew there was a problem at this time I received email through outlook (outlook won't send them) And send through Bigpond Webmail(because Bigpond Webmail won't received them) what a mess 

Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for letting me know shooterau, Can I confirm that this is being investigated on your behalf and have you been unable to access any emails from the Platinum Service?  Also details of the monthly fee for this service can be found at https://tel.st/pw3up

Are you able to access these emails using your Telstra Webmail at all?

shooterau

Talking to a consultant now doesn't seem to think anything wrong will see with (emails receive into outlook but not send) (bigpond webmail send but not receive) Just got off the Phone now I am affected by the outage and they will keep me updated on how there going  So I have to go into Bigpond Webmail to send and then go into Outlook to read 

Support Team
Support Team

Thank you for getting back to me. We are working on any interruption in services and please let us know when all has returned to normal. I am so very sorry for the inconvenience in all of this. 

shooterau

Yes will do it seems that some at Telstra knows there a problem and some don't this is where we are having trouble getting the correct person to help but at least there trying to help gets very anonying when you have to go through it with someone different each time I'm sure some think we are Idiots until we get someone who know what's going on Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

I shall certainly pass on your feedback and look forward to your services being restored as quickly as possible.

shooterau

Still waiting for some news and when it is fixed looks like not an easy one there are also other Disscussion pages with the same problem so must be widespread

shooterau

Ok try this do everything except putting in your incoming imap details only use the smtp.telstra.com 465 for outgoing see how you go

shooterau

In outlook don't put any incoming details like pop or imap just use smtp.telstra.com 465 as outgoing see how you go

red_reaper
Level 1: Cadet

Just like to add that I have the same issue as everyone else, appears to have stopped syncing to outlook.live.com about 12 August, I use bigpond.com email.

I spoke to Telstra support a couple of weeks ago but not much help. The support person said they are aware of a server issue and I will get an email when it is working again. Never got an email and never heard from them. Outlook is still not syncing with Bigpond email. This was previously working for the last 2 years for me. Obviously it is something they have changed on that date.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now