DPunter
Level 2: Rookie

Why can't I download email using a mail client?

My mail was working fine until Telstra suspended my email - they could not give me a reason. My email was then un-suspended.

Now all of the mail clients that were previously working can not connect and download my email. I can logon to WebMail and read my mail there.

I know my username and my password. I have made several calls to Telstra and the have been no help. They can't tell me what the issue is. I know the problem is not at my end. and Telstra can't fix my problem. I have a bigpond.net.au account. I also have a bigpond.com email and it is working fine with the same setting. Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Why can't I download email using a mail client?

What is the error that your email client is giving you? That will usually give an indication of what the problem actually is.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
DPunter

The error I get on my iPhone is;
Cannot Get Mail
The mal server "imap.telstra.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account info in Mail Settings.

I can access mail from Bigpond.com on my iPhone using imap.telstra.com. So I know it works.

David.

Level 24: Supreme Being

Are you able to log into it via http://email.telstra.com ?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

@Yastiandrie do the bigpond.net.au accounts use the old bigpond server, rather than the telstra server? That would make the server address mail.bigpond.com and POP3 only.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

@Jupiter They can use either. None of the telstra consumer email domains are restricted to one server
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

DPunter

Hi,

Yes, I can access my mail using http://email.telstra.com (WebMail)
This is the only thing that works.

David.

Yeah i just realised i missed that in the OP

What are all of the mail clients/devices you have? Do they Support TLS 1.2?

DPunter

Yastiandrie,
That ok and thanks.

The clients I am using are iPhone, iPad, Linux Thunderbird (new for testing).

Do they Support TLS 1.2? - not sure. I will have to check.

What I do know is that on the same devices, my BigPond.com account works, but my BigPond.net.au account does not work.

David.

I would expect at least one to be capable of it.

Possibly some sort of misalignment when the service was resumed. May require another call to assurance and an escalation

Bretski
Level 1: Cadet

This happened to us over weekend. Rang Telstra Saturday & after 40 minutes on hold then 1 hour & 12 minutes talking to someone the account was unsuspended but can’t get mail on iPad iPhone or outlook. Got a text message today saying email suspended after another 22 minutes on hold the lady hung up on me. Rang back got put through to billing then went around the world 1 hour later still not working but in Telstra eyes I can get web mail so all ok. I’m putting in an official complaint going to the ombudsman bounds & im off contract so I’m going to shop around. Telstra support hopeless!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Bretski,

Sometimes a system password reset is needed after the suspension has been removed to align the email. If this was already done then I would suggest making sure your email client has the current email settings here .

- AlistairQWA

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

DPunter

Thanks for the reply - I am not the only one.
DPunter

Yes, I have already reset my password and checked my setttings 100 times.
Bretski
Level 1: Cadet

I’m the same still not working. Telstra want to charge me to get platinum service for an error I believe has been caused by them. They were meant to contact me within 48 hours from 2pm Monday with details so I can make a complaint. Surprise it’s 5.21pm on Wednesday & haven’t heard a word from them or have my email working on my iPhone or computer.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Bretski,

I'm sorry that you weren't given the the details you needed to lodge a complaint. You can lodge a complaint here: 

https://tel.st/34x9e and we will assign a case manager who will follow up what has happened and work with you to get everything resolved.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more