Highlighted
rekrab
Level 7: Deputy Inspector

bigpond outgoing mail

Answered

Can you please tell me if bigpond smtp outgoing mail is having a problem. for several days now I have been unable to send outgoing mail ( unable to connect to server ) incoming is fine. Having to send my mail with Google mail at this stage. Would appreciate some answer. Perhaps Telstra rep Big Dan could reply. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
rekrab
Accepted Solution

Re: bigpond outgoing mail

Hi cretsiah, thank you for the information. As I have been with Bigpond for a few years now when it changed to telstra mail I was told I need not do anything and my mail stayed as POP  mail.bigpond.com , outgoing SMTP mail.bigpond.com  and has been working fine. I just tried rebooting the modem and at the moment all seems fine. I assumed that if I was on the net and could use my browser  and could recieve but not send my mail the problem was not on my end. Rookie mistake I think ,never assume.   Maybe others who are having the same problem should try re booting the modem. Mind you there is a possibilty that Telstra was having a problem and have just fixed it but I think re-booting the modem fixed it.

rekrab
Accepted Solution

What__now.

Currently I can randomly send emails, with most failing with "Login to server mail.bigpond.com failed."
Sometimes it appears that if I fetch new mail and then send mail within a couple of seconds it more often completes the send.
quote from What _now.

This is the same problem I had

I tried everything possible to try and fix this problem, strange thing is webmail worked perfectly.  In the end I contacted Telstra technical. I explained my problem. I am very wary about my computer being  taken over but seeing I had contacted Telstra and knew it was genuine  this I allowed.The tech was very good and  made several test. He ended up wiping my account and starting fresh and also change my settings from bigpond mail to telstra mail. Anyway the thing is  mail is now working fine thanks to the tech. I think the problem was their end. Maybe it might pay you to contact Telstra technical. My system is Mac osx desk top and using Apple mail. I also have Gmail installed as a secondary back up. Hope this helps I know how frustrating it is when outgoing mail works one second and then stops & starts. If you can, let us know how you get on. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
17 REPLIES 17
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

What error message are you getting?

If you are using a client, what are the outgoing hostname/server, port number, encryption, and authentication are you using?

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
CathR
Level 1: Cadet

Hi, I'm also having the same issue.  I can download my email but can't send any.  I keep getting repeated messages to log into the mail.bigpond.com server

rekrab

Hi Yastlandrie, thank you for your reply . I am with Telstra  with bigpond mail . When trying to send mail the message is unable to connect to server mail.bigpond.com. Connection doctor shows not connected on SMTP but connected for incoming. I Have changed no settings and as stated this has only started a few days ok.Sometimes I am asked to sign into my account, sometimes it accepts my password and other times will not validate. On the odd occasion outgoing will be sent but then reverts back to the same problem. 

Level 21: Augmented

@rekrab try checking your settings:

POP:

Incoming server details

• Incoming server address: pop.telstra.com
  • Incoming server port: 995
  • Encrypted connection: SSL

Outgoing server details

• Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
  • Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
  • Authentication: Yes
  • Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587

IMAP:

• Account Type: Select IMAP
  • Incoming mail server:  imap.telstra.com
  • Incoming server (IMAP): 993
  • Use the following type of encrypted connection: SSL
  • Outgoing mail server (SMTP):  smtp.telstra.com
  • Ensure the checkbox is ticked for This server requires encrypted connection (SSL)
  • Outgoing server (SMTP): 465

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
rekrab
Accepted Solution

Hi cretsiah, thank you for the information. As I have been with Bigpond for a few years now when it changed to telstra mail I was told I need not do anything and my mail stayed as POP  mail.bigpond.com , outgoing SMTP mail.bigpond.com  and has been working fine. I just tried rebooting the modem and at the moment all seems fine. I assumed that if I was on the net and could use my browser  and could recieve but not send my mail the problem was not on my end. Rookie mistake I think ,never assume.   Maybe others who are having the same problem should try re booting the modem. Mind you there is a possibilty that Telstra was having a problem and have just fixed it but I think re-booting the modem fixed it.

rekrab

Spoke to soon. After re-booting the modem, outgoing mail worked 5 times and now once again keeps asking me to sign in with password. Frustrating.

KimB1

After having the same problem I have now altered my outgoing server "Use the following type of encrypted connection - SSL" and problem solved.  @rekrab So double check all your account settings.

rekrab

Thanks KimB1, Trying it now. It is all working at the moment but has been very inconsistent. Seems strange as SSL has always been clear.  Getting a bit frustrated as every time I try something it seems as though I have fixed it and the next minute it plays up again. Will post back after giving it a trial. As you know I jumped the gun and ticked fixed and as soon as I did that it played up again. Thank you once again ( fingers crossed this is the answer.

Level 21: Augmented

are you telling it to save password or not???

if you havent told it to save password you will need to type password every time

or I beleive in webmail there is a time out as well

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs
rekrab

Yes have it ticked to save password. Most of the time it states unable to connect to server " mail. bigpond.com. it does connect now and again so account must be ok just cant hold connectivity. Have entered TLS certificate but still connecting and disconnecting. POP incoming stays connected.

What_now

Add me to the list of users affected by changed Outgoing email behaviour.

I can always reliably receive pop mail with nothing abnormal happeneing that direction, but since perhaps a couple of weeks ago I started to get this message regularly when sending "Login to server mail.bigpond.com failed." and requests to re-enter my password.

Note that my PC and email client are quite stable, AFAIK nothing has changed but for a recent security update for Thunderbird email client. I've checked and rechecked the client mail server settings with nothing odd found, I've changed mail.bigpond.com to smtp.telstra.com with SSL set and correct port 465, and it's not changed the behaviour, so changed it back again. Passwords have not changed.

Currently I can randomly send emails, with most failing with "Login to server mail.bigpond.com failed." 

Sometimes it appears that if I fetch new mail and then send mail within a couple of seconds it more often completes the send.

The people affected by this, what email client software are you using ?

I wonder if the issue is with Thunderbird.

Martin

rekrab
Accepted Solution

What__now.

quote from What _now.

This is the same problem I had

I tried everything possible to try and fix this problem, strange thing is webmail worked perfectly.  In the end I contacted Telstra technical. I explained my problem. I am very wary about my computer being  taken over but seeing I had contacted Telstra and knew it was genuine  this I allowed.The tech was very good and  made several test. He ended up wiping my account and starting fresh and also change my settings from bigpond mail to telstra mail. Anyway the thing is  mail is now working fine thanks to the tech. I think the problem was their end. Maybe it might pay you to contact Telstra technical. My system is Mac osx desk top and using Apple mail. I also have Gmail installed as a secondary back up. Hope this helps I know how frustrating it is when outgoing mail works one second and then stops & starts. If you can, let us know how you get on. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Below you will see the recommended outgoing mail server settings for Telstra Mail and the original BigPond Mail. The one that you use will depend on which mail server your mailbox is currently hosted on.

Telstra Mail - Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com

Outgoing server port: 465 

SMTP authentication: On

Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS 

BigPond Outgoing server details

Outgoing server address: mail.bigpond.com

Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587

Authentication: Yes

Encrypted connection: With SSL encryption

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

oliverhere

I've had no luck with these settings, tried using outlook and windows 10 mail. both fail to send emails

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi oliverhere,

There was an issue with outgoing emails on Saturday which has now been resolved.

If you are still having issues, please make sure your username for SMTP authentication contains the domain @bigpond.com.

- AlistairQWA 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LC57

I rang Telstra for support with my inability to send bigpond email from teh MacBook Air.  I was advised that as part of the recent mail server upgrade you can only send bigpond emails from a Telstra service (receive is okay).  I was logged on to the WiFi at work.  What this means, as far as I can ascertain, is that if you are connected to a WiFi that is supplied by a provider other than Telstra, you will not be able to send email.  You will have to change the outgoing server to that of the WiFi provider you are connected to.  User friendly upgrade, defintiely not.  Now I have to use the personal hotspot on my phone to send emails whilst anywhere other than home.  Shame on you Telstra!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LC57

If you have migrated to the new server, make sure you are using the configuration below for the Outgoing server and this will work no matter which service you are connected to. The mail.bigpond.com settings above would be the one the will not allow access through another connection.

Outgoing server address: smtp.telstra.com
Outgoing server port: 465 (recommended) or 587
SMTP authentication: On
Encrypted connection: SSL/TLS on port 465 (recommended) or STARTTLS on port 587
Username & Password

Enter your full email address (ending in ‘@bigpond.com’, ‘@bigpond.net.au’ or ‘@telstra.com’)
Enter your Telstra email account password (case sensitive)
Other settings to check

Ensure the checkbox is ticked for ‘Outgoing server requires authentication’.

- AlistairQWA

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now