Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
Snowman19
Level 1: Cadet

Re: how to block spam from my bigpond account

Recently I've received emails from a movie premiere called "Fadetoblack" in my main Bigpond address. I only use this email address for my two family members and I know they wouldn't give it to anyone and I don't give this email address to anyone but some how the company knows I live in Adelaide and when I added the web address to the blocked senders list on Bigpond webmail I was still getting emails from this company. Which is odd because the only way this company knows I live in Adelaide is if Bigpond tells them that which leads me to suspect that Bigpond is selling my email address to companies so they can email me junk mail. and the fact that that I still receive emails from this company even though I've blocked their email address makes me more suspicious of this  

brooksy961
Level 2: Rookie

Why should we pay $9.95 per month for a problem Telstra has created? If it was free then we would all have it!
brooksy961

I totally agree with you! What if we all forwarded our spam emails to Telstra and see how they like all their emails blocked with obscene rubbish!
CLAEW

Already doing all of the block domain and message rules in Webmail.

Spend hours on the phone to Telstra last week reporting that the block domains functgion is not working coreectly an had to argue with the first three levels of support and agree to pay $120 before being told at the 4th level of support that I should not have had to pay to report a system issue. 

Currently get 50plus junk emails pere day. A very long time Telstra customer and Not Happy with spending hours each day workming on an issue that could be simplified by bein g able to use wildcards in the block domain section and to have the block domain section of the Web App actually woprk. 

This is Not living up to your commitment given in the email change over Telstra.

Susieday

Telstra is the only server that doesn't allow you to block certain emails! Big pond has always been the worst email. They make money from allowing hundreds of spam through! If you divert you mail to live mail etc, you just click on the mail you don't want, select delete all from that domain etc...lots of options, gone! Telstra sucks.

Susieday

You cannot block on bigpond...they initiate the scams to make money. Other servers have great blockers, just click the email and select block! Telstra/ bigpond are themscammers
Susieday

Easy, change to live mail...just click email you want to block, select ban, done! Bigpond sucks, always has, always will...just get new email address via another server.
Susieday

You cannot. Telstra have no block on emails...that's why people should never have big pond email! Get another email..will be quicker in the end!
LisaB63

I too have started receiving these types of emails. Theses are unacceptable and offensive. I do not understand how is not being pick up in the spam filter. I spen at least 11/2 hours filtering these out every day. The junk mailbox does not work and the us no spam box for the mobile email. I am a 54 year old Female and I keep getting male related emails. These all swam to land in my inbox late at night or early morning. I'm at my wits end. Please help.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi LisaB63,

There are two methods that you may want to employ to block those emails. The first is using key words and the other is by blocking the domain of the sending email. 

Once logged into webmail

- Find the domain of the sender that you wish to block which is the information after the @ in the email address, eg: username@domain.com

- Click on Settings in the top right hand corner, then Mail in the left hand menu.
- Select Blocked Senders from the left hand menu.
- Enter *@domain.com of the sender and click on Add. It is important to include the *

- Select Organise Inbox from the left hand menu
- Click on Add and select the options that you want such as the below example:

Rule name: juggling
Active: ticketed
Action: Move to folder - Junk
If Subject: contains - juggling

Click on Save.

You can create as many of these rules as you need.

You will need to remove any that are currently in your inbox, however this should prevent further emails containing those words or those domains from landing in your inbox.

I recommend moving the emails to Junk, but you can have them moved to Deleted. Just be careful with the key words you use to organise the inbox as emails from friends and family may also be included.

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Chiller

Shelly,

I have reached my limit of 1000 blocked. The keywords are endless and I would spend too much time tackling these. I already am spending an extra $9.95 for technicians help (Platinum) which I am now loathe to pay, but am forced to for 12 months. Outlook was brilliant. I get splurgers of spam, and the past week getting an average of 60 a day.

DebR

INHWT

Kenobi,

I have been a loyal Telstra customer since the late 90's, I would expect a bit more support from Telstra. If others can do it surely a company of Telstra's size and financial stature can implement some simple spam skimming methods. I too am sick of having to explain to my wife and kids why we are getting emails offering everything from ***** enhancement to Russian Brides on line. I have tried all the suggested methods of adding to the blocked list, marking as spam and unsubscribing, with no success. All the recent posts I have read indicate that these suggested methods are USELESS to the ordinary paying Telstra customer who just wants a normal email account so they can keep track of legitimate day to day business affairs without having to spend anywhere up to 30 minutes a day, sometimes more, using those USELESS suggested methods to simply just stop something that should not be happening within a company that has apparently built a reputation on being the preffered telco. TELSTRA, PLEASE GET THIS ISSUE FIXED, I'VE HAD ENOUGH, IT'S GETTING BEYOND A JOKE. 

donnalea

Absolutely agree. Interface is shocking. And it's so slow, to delete, to open, to search etc etc. AND how do I block spam? I'm getting more and more. The more I unsubscribe, the more I seem to receive.

Hillbrook2

Hi,

I too am receiving between 50 and 120 spam emails per day since last week.  I have done all that was suggested but who has the time to do this everydaay??  Telstra need to help its email customers with this problem.  All help pages just send you around and around.

Its frustrating to say the lease.

Struggling Senior user
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We're always working to improve our Spam filter, however editing your blocklist may still be beneficial to help manage your inbox.

In order to help us fine tune the anti-spam checks, please use the 'Mark as Spam' button in webmail which moves the email to Junk but at the same time it sends a copy of the email for further investigation.

With every email that is marked as Spam, you are helping us to refine our spam filter. Using the 'Mark as Spam' button will not automatically block the sender so you will still get some emails from the same domain while the data is being processed.

If you want to move emails from specific senders, domains or those containing key words, please log into the Webmail platform to create rules to help manage your inbox.

When adding spam to the block sender list, you can make it more effective by using just the domain (e.g. *@infinite.summer.net). It is essential to add the * before the @ symbol; this is because the spammer will use multiple combinations of email addresses to get past the Spam filters.

Also please be aware that emails with two domain names after the @ symbol will need to be treated as separate domains.
e.g: *@summer.net wont block blah@infinite.summer.net likewise, *@infinite.summer.net wont block blah@summer.net

Some other tips to remember:

1. Don't unsubscribe from dubious emails, all this does is verify your account

2. If you are signing up to a website to get a good 'deal', use a disposable email address

3. Keep your main BigPond mailbox for friends and family only

4. If the subject sounds too good to be true, it definitely is. Don't open it, use the Mark as Spam button within webmail or delete it within your app

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Glen44

Come on Telstra - we're all really fed up with this.  Won't be staying if not fixed!

MissJan

We have the same issue, over a hundred every day. Have gone into webmail blocking tool and added the domains but it does not work. Telstra really needs t address this seriously.

Howgoesit

Followed instructions however still receiving spam.DO I have to tick the boxes adjacent to the blocked email address ?I have ticked them but when I navigate away and then back the boxes are "uptick" your advice would be appreciated

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

You would only tick the boxes if you were going to remove or edit them.

We are still working on resolving the issue of increased spam, so please keep continuing to "mark as spam" to help us with this. 

- Shelly

Nick_Brisbane

You are obviously not getting the 'Premium' service, I get Russian and Asian brides and all sorts of 'hotties' looking to meet up with me.

It's appalling that since the 'improvements' in the Telstra webmail service, many of us long suffering customers are getting inundated with spam. 

I am heartened to learn that I am not alone and I intend to show my wife this thread so she doesn't suspect me of bringing all this on by surfing dodgy sites.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Just providing an update. There have been some changes to the rules over the past few weeks and I ask that you monitor and let me know if you continue to receive large amounts of emails.

Webmail-wrong

Looking at all the complains about spam on webmail it appears that Telstra offer no solution but a further cost, am seriously looking to change providers although, it is a major for us as we are running two business & 5 emails.

I can not believe they transferred all their clients to this crap email system without anyones consent

barri
Level 5: Eagle Eye

Well said.

I'd love to go but can't. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We are continuing to improve and fine-tune how we filter spam and already have  number of checks and tools in place to help us monitor and filter spam. We are focused on addressing the spam received by our customers, unfortunately there is not a quick fix for this, otherwise it would already be in place. 

- Shelly

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more