CrowdSupport®
Barrykr
Level 1: Cadet

iPad connectivity via hotel wifi not working

Hi
I can't get my outgoing mail server working

I have tried setting the port to 465 and 587 with DSL on but to no avail
The SMTP authentication was password
Does anyone know the correct settings for an outgoing SMTP mail server?
Thanks
Barry

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Re: iPad connectivity via hotel wifi not working

Hi Barrykr, 

If it's not working for you, you may need to get the Outgoing settings for the ISP in the hotel, as it may only allow you to send using their outgoing server. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 20: Director

Hi Barry,

This is a common (and very frustrating) problem for people who travel a lot ,particularly overseas.

The main problem is that your email address is possibly on an older legacy "Client/Server" type email system.

While you can manage to get arround it by using Telstra/Big Pond "web mail", I find this difficult on an iPhone and rather "clunky" to work with.

As you have an iPhone, you most likely have an iCloud account (or another web based email account such as gmail, or hotmail?)

My simplest solution is to set a web based mail server such as iCloud as your outgoing mail server by: (Note - THE FOLLOWING UPPER CASE IS THE IPHONE SCREEN DISPLAY OPTION, WHICH MAY NOT BE IN CAPITALS ON THE SCREENSmiley Wink

SETTINGS  >

MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS >

ACCOUNTS - select one, preferably the iCloud one, but if it is not there ADD ACCOUNT > and follow prompts

ICLOUD 

ACCOUNT >

ADVANCED

MAIL >

OUTGOING MAIL SERVER

SMPT (ICLOUD or other) >

At this point you should be looking at your PRIMARY SERVER, and OTHER SMPT SERVERS, turn the mail.bigpond.com OFF >, then turn the iCloud (or other) ON >

DONE 

The downside of this is that emails from your iPhone will come from your iCloud address, but it does mean that you can send emails from Wi-Fi locations without any issues. To keep a copy of such emails always BCC your bigpond email (there is a setting to do this automatically)

As a reasonably frequent overseas traveller I have given up on Wi-Fi and always get a Casual International data pack, they work particularly well, they are good value, and you avoid all the queues at the free wifi cafes etc

I hope this has been of some help

ps - 587 was the right number!!

Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.
Level 20: Director

Sorry, in my longer reply before I miss-read your question - you have an iPAD, not iPHONE, but the sequence of instructions is almost identical on both - same outcome, set a web based server such as iCloud as your OG Mail server
Please assist others by marking the post accordingly. If I've been of assistance please click the Kudos,
Palpatine has participated in Social Media accreditation through Telstra and has access to some enhanced support and escalation processes. Palpatine is not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely his own.

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now