Highlighted
eyoung1849
Level 1: Cadet

mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Answered

Hi

I've been trying to send an email or reply to an email that has a bigpond.com domain and the same return message keeps on returning as failed to delivered.

This is the failed delivery message:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

jdechaineux@bigpond.com
    host extmail.bigpond.com [203.36.137.234]
    SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    554 Connection refused. 121.200.229.199 is blacklisted in Telstra RBL list
Reporting-MTA: dns; alcloud03.lumen.net.au

Action: failed
Final-Recipient: rfc822;jdechaineux@bigpond.com
Remote-MTA: dns; extmail.bigpond.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 554 Connection refused. 121.200.229.199 is blacklisted in Telstra RBL list

I have performed a search on the IP: 121.200.229.199 and it's not listed in any of the black lists including spamhaus.

Are you able to let me know why this is happening and whom should I ask to resolve this problem?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

Hi eyoung1849, 

I've checked your IP (121.200.229.199) with Sender Score and can see it's listed as questionable.  If you're still having this problem you may want to check your mailing lists and clean them out.

The measure that is causing your questionable reputation in Sender Score is Unknown Users. This is triggered when a lot of email is being sent out from your IP which is ending up undelivered, either misspelt email addresses or email address which are no longer active. Make sure your mail server is accepting unknown user failures and failing the message rather than attempting re-delivery. You can then use these failure messages to check your mailing lists and remove the email from your lists. You should notice your reputation rise if this is the cause.  You may also wish to scan your infrastructure for viruses and malware etc just to be sure.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
davidj
Level 2: Rookie

I am having the same issue (and have been for about a month now). Here is a fragment of the headers:

Final-Recipient: rfc822; <someone>@bigpond.com

Original-Recipient: rfc822;<someone>@bigpond.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: host
    extmail.bigpond.com[203.36.172.106] refused to talk to me: 554 Connection
    refused. 217.70.178.86 is blacklisted in Telstra RBL list

In my investigations 217.70.178.86 is not on any blacklist. Can Telstra advise how to resolve this?

Dave.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dave, 

I've run your IP (217.70.178.86) through mxtoolbox.com and can see that this IP has been blacklisted by BACKSCATTERER. You can find more information about them on mxtoolbox here.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

davidj

Thanks for the reply Kenobi. I have two questions:

1. Is this a list that Telstra uses to block email? In other words, does this explain the rejections or is it unrelated?

2. Why would this matter for incoming email to bigpond? As I understand backscatter relates to email sent to a server with no valid destination. In other words, it affects incoming email to 217.70.178.86 not outgoing.

Thanks,

Dave.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dave, 

The answer is in the bounce message you recieved.

> 1. Is this a list that Telstra uses to block email? In other words, does this explain the rejections or is it unrelated?

Does this explain the rejections? Yes, 217.70.178.86 is blacklisted in Telstra RBL list

> 2. Why would this matter for incoming email to bigpond? As I understand backscatter relates to email sent to a server with no valid destination. In other words, it affects incoming email to 217.70.178.86 not outgoing.

The bounce message you referred to says: mail delivery failed: returning message to sender - meaning outgoing mail is being blocked on that IP address.

Hope this helps.

eyoung1849
Level 1: Cadet

Hey Kenobi

Any news on my issue? IP: 121.200.229.199 doesn't show up on any blacklists? Can you help?

Thanks.

davidj

Dear Kenobi,

Thanks for the prompt replies. Very much appreciated.

Just to be clear, I know that the message says 217.70.178.86 is blacklisted in Telstra RBL list. My question is, does the Telstra RBL list use backscatterer.org as one of it's sources?

If so, that would be surprising. From the backscatterer.org usage:

we strongly recommend to use ips.backscatterer.org in SAFE MODE to prevent false positives.
SAFE MODE means you will do DNSBL-Querys if MAIL FROM: is <> or postmaster only

So if using them as they recommend, it does not cover this case (mail from was my email address) and the puzzle is still unsolved.

Best regards,

Dave.

davidj

On another email I get a slightly different bounce:

Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; delivery temporarily suspended: host
    extmail.bpbb.bigpond.com[203.36.137.234] refused to talk to me: 554
    Connection refused - IB115. 217.70.178.86 is blacklisted. If you believe
    this to be in error, please contact postmaster@bigpond.com

does this help?

Dave.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Dave (davidj), 

Your IP address (217.70.178.86) also has a very poor reputation with Sender Score (16/100). 

To combat spam Telstra uses a variety of tools, Sender Score being one of them.  This is not a traditional blacklist where you are either blocked or not, but we apply rules based on your reputation. With very low reputation we will block your access.

Poor reputations are normally due to compromised servers, or accounts on these servers sending spam or other undesirable mail. The reason for your low value is due to two measures:

Sender Rejected: This represents how often messages are rejected (bounced due to some policy reason, usually spam filtering or blacklisting) compared to other IP addresses seen in the Sender Score Reputation Network.

Message Filtered:Rate of mail that is delivered to users bulk/junk folder. Basically other servers think the email is spam, but not 100% sure, so they accept but file to bulk/junk/spam folder. If this isn’t green, good sign you are sending spam.

We would advise that you scan your infrastructure for viruses/malware, open relay and investigate why your reputation has dropped so much.  Once your reputation score returns above 20 you'll start being able to deliver email again. To see if there is anything you can do to speed up this process please contact Sender Score for further details. 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi eyoung1849, 

I've checked your IP (121.200.229.199) with Sender Score and can see it's listed as questionable.  If you're still having this problem you may want to check your mailing lists and clean them out.

The measure that is causing your questionable reputation in Sender Score is Unknown Users. This is triggered when a lot of email is being sent out from your IP which is ending up undelivered, either misspelt email addresses or email address which are no longer active. Make sure your mail server is accepting unknown user failures and failing the message rather than attempting re-delivery. You can then use these failure messages to check your mailing lists and remove the email from your lists. You should notice your reputation rise if this is the cause.  You may also wish to scan your infrastructure for viruses and malware etc just to be sure.

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now