Highlighted
Matt18
Level 3: Gumshoe

webmail unnecessarily places mail into junk folder

Answered

How do I turn off the webmail junk filtering? I use POP mail to download my emails and I can deal with junk mail without the webmail filtering.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution

Re: webmail unnecessarily places mail into junk folder

Hi @Matt18

You can't turn the filtering off, however, you can mark emails as 'not spam' and that should prevent the mail from going to junk in the future

To do this, select the email in the junker folder and either right-click on it or press the 'more' button running across the top of the screen. There will be an option there to mark it as not spam

mail not spam.png

Chris

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Telstra Platinum
Telstra Platinum
Accepted Solution

Hi @Matt18

You can't turn the filtering off, however, you can mark emails as 'not spam' and that should prevent the mail from going to junk in the future

To do this, select the email in the junker folder and either right-click on it or press the 'more' button running across the top of the screen. There will be an option there to mark it as not spam

mail not spam.png

Chris

Telstra Platinum Tech Support

Icon image for Telstra Platinum

---------------------------------------
I am a Telstra Platinum employee and I do phone support for all issues like this one here.
Want one of our Telstra Platinum experts to solve this problem for you? One call to Telstra Platinum could help you with similar tech issues rather than trying to do it yourself. Click through to learn more about Telstra Platinum

Telstra Platinum

Wojo12
Level 2: Rookie

I rarely access my emails from webmail, so I would never know that you have decided to classify some important emails to me as junk. I only found this out early this morning when I couldn't receive emails via Outlook as I normally do. I rang Telstra at the time, but after waiting for an hour to speak to someone. I had to leave. Just now when I have logged into webmail once more, my junk folder is empty so I can do nothing to prevent it happening in the future.

What steps is Telstra taking to rectify this fault?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Wojo12, 

Are you getting any error message in Outlook when you try to retrieve your email?  If so can you let us know the exact message and this will help us in identifying your problem.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Wojo12

Yes, I was 7 hours ago, but not currently. Can you send me an email everytime Telstra decides to put my important email into the Junk folder?
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you get the error message again, please let us know what it is and we can investigate it for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Wojo12

My missing emails is the problem you are supposed to be addressing !!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Wojo, are you using POP or IMAP to connect with Outlook? Have you checked the Junk folder in that app?
Formerly of Telstra
Wojo12

If you, Telstra, put them into Junk, they won't get to my Outlook, will they? I regularly look at any emails in Junk at my end.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Only spam email should be sent to the Junk folder. When email hits Telstra's mail servers our spam filters will scan for key words and phrases which may identify it as spam. If it ticks all the boxes it's sent to the Junk folder.

If you've noticed that legitimate email is being sent to your Junk Folder you can report these as false positives by going to the Junk Folder in Webmail and marking it as 'not spam' (as per Feanharo's instructions above). You can also add those senders to your Safe Senders list in Webmail to be sure.

If you don't regularly access Webmail, my recommendation would be to set up your Outlook email client using Telstra's IMAP settings so that what is in Webmail is mirrored in your Outlook email client. This will allow you to check the Junk folder from Outlook without having to manually access Webmail.

If you do this, it would be best to set up all your devices that access your email to use Telstra's IMAP settings because if one of your devices is using Telstra's POP settings, it will download email from the server (Webmail) and once it's stored on that single device, it will delete the email off the server, which could end up with email disappearing.

You can find out more information about how to setup Outlook using Telstra's IMAP settings and the difference between IMAP and POP here.

JR59
Level 1: Cadet

Good morning

I'm having a similar issue.  All my work emails are being stopped by Telstra web mail filtering.

I don't even get to see them in my spam folder.  I don't get them at all.

Can Telstra make my work emails safe?  Can Telstra make my work Domain safe?

I've done all the recommended steps mentioned on this forum.   There is one step I can't do since my work emails do not even get to me at all. 

Regards,

juan

Wojo12

When does bigpond empty MY spam folder? It seems I need to log on once a day to get my important emails out of spam, rather than only when I am travelling .

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Juan (JR59).

If your work mail isn't even hitting the Junk folder it's possible that our Anti-Spam software is tagging your work domain as a spammer.

Please take a look at the Accepted Solution provided on the following thread Message-content-rejected-due-to-suspected-spam-IB703  Once the Postmaster gets the relevant information they can investigate this for you.  Add the following to your email subject line when you contact the Postmaster CROWDSUPPORT: 739994 Re: webmail unnecessarily places mail into junk folder

Telstra Smart Modem

Plug in and connect in minutes. Smart.

Find out more
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now