Highlighted
Howelligan
Level 3: Gumshoe

Poor form- Telstra Connect

Early in September 2017, I registered for the new release promotional package of the Samsung Note8. I was later asked to sign a Service Contract for the Phone & associated plan, which I did. To that point I had not been offered, nor come across any information regarding an option to insure the new phone. I attended the Midland Telstra Shop in the afternoon of Sunday 24th September, to collect my new phone. There I was assisted in setting it up etc., & during this process I enquired about 'Insurance for it. I was advised that Telstra has such a service, referred to as Telstra Stay Connected. The basics of the service were explained to me, including the $15 per month additional Charger, & I requested that this be added while I was still in the store. At that time, I was advised that I would need to do this via my Telstra 'My Account' App. Over the next few days I attempted to locate the application for this service, without success. Around the following Wednesday I attempted to get assistance via 24/7 Chat. From here I was referred to the Telstra Assistance Phone Number, where I was advised that I was required to have such a request processed at time of collection, & could no longer do so. Eventually, there was agreement to have my request 'assessed & get back to me. This was conveyed to the Midland Telstra Shop via SMS. Having received no follow up, on that Friday & Saturday I made further enquiries at the Midland Store. Tuesday 3rd October, I again attended the store & was advised that my request had been rejected. At my insistence, a 'Post Sale Application' has been filed, however I was advised that this is unlikely to be successful, & a number of relevant points were not included in said application, despite my requests. During the several hours I was in the store I requested that the Manager see me, however I was told that he was 'In a sales meeting & therefore not available.' At this point, it appears likely that I am now going to be left without insurance coverage for the phone, through no fault of mine. This is not an acceptable situation, nor is it in keeping with the standards one would expect from a reputable corporation.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: Poor form- Telstra Connect

Hi Howelligan. Thankyou for coming through. Really sorry to hear of your frustrating experience.

Based on what you've told me, I'd encourage you to raise a complaint via the following - https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/General-Services-KB/Lodging-a-complaint-with-Telstra/ta-p/681...
You'll be assigned a case manager, who will read your complaint and the notes on your account, look at your services, and contact you to discern a resolution. 
Take note of the 'SR' reference number supplied at the end, so we can keep track of the complaint.
Please let us know how you get on, as I'd like to hear this is being addressed as a priority - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That's quite an odd situation. Stay Connected is usually included by default when you sign a new contract and you are asked if you want it removed.

Also, if you want real insurance cover on your phone to cover accidental breakage and theft, get it added to your Home & Contents Insurance Policy as a defined Portable Item. This form of insurance is actually what people want in most cases and not the form of insurance that is provided by Stay Connected.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Howelligan

Thanks Matthew 

I've lodged a complaint, & heard back from someone yesterday afternoon. It seems there is a bureaucratic stumbling block which has caused the issue. Humans make mistakes, but apparently the 'system' isn't able to adapt to such situations. Hopefully it will all be sorted soon.

Regards, Ian 

Howelligan

G'Day Jupiter,

Your observation is supported by the fact that there has now been mention made on atleast two occassions, of the 'Service' having been  'cancelled' on day of collection, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Regards,  Ian 

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Howelligan,

Thanks for the update. You mentioned you'd heard back from the complaint, can I ask were you satisfied with the outcome & did they provide an SR case number for your reference?

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Howelligan

G'Day Angela, The initial contact indicated that the matter is now being escalated. On Thursday I received a message to say that the case manager will be in touch with me Friday (today), but it's a bit early in the day to expect a call yet. I will update as soon as I have heard from them though. They also included an SR Number.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting us know. Glad to hear it's progressing; thank you for your patience - Matthew.

Howelligan

Phone call with Case Manager appears to have sorted the issue. Waiting for the final notification, but should have Stay Connected on within 48 hours. Glad that it's looking like finally being resolved in a satisfactory manner. 😊
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, glad to read the matter is being resolved. Please don't hesitate to keep us updated. 

Set it & forget it

With direct debit there’s no need to give paying your bill another thought.

Avoid queuing up and never worry about late fees again.

Setup direct debit