CrowdSupport®
GTPDAD
Level 2: Rookie

T-Voice 503 Dops out

Our phone drops out. Gives a click, heard both ends, then searching error message and syncs. Yesterday 4 times in a row. Lasts 5 minutes or so then drops out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Support Team
Support Team

Re: T-Voice 503 Dops out

Hi there GTPDAD, 

Thanks for taking the time to reach out and welcome to Crowd Support!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your home phone handset and can appreciate this would be frustrating especially if it's been this frequent.

Are there any other phones connected to your landline? If so, are they experiencing an issue as well?

If this is the case I would recommend having a look on our outages page for any faults reported in your area.

Please let me know how you go.

-Matty 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

GTPDAD

No other phones in the house. Been doing it pretty since new. We did have to get a new modem shortly after install because the NBN was dropping out entirely. Just made a call now and it dropped out after about 15 seconds, same faults.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for clarifying. How's your NBN internet connection? Does that pause, or drop out at random too, or is it just the phone affected? - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

GTPDAD

Not that we have noticed. It did before the new modem was installed. The speed is not real flash. The phone drops out every phone call. As I said yesterday it was within 10-15 seconds.

cheers, Mark

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for getting back to us GTPDAD,

What speeds are you currently receiving on your service? This can be checked here https://tel.st/jvlbv.

Next time a call drops it may be worth trying to load an internet page or check the lights on the modem just to check if the connection has also dropped as this would cause the call to drop.

Do you by any chance have another phone handset you can plug in for testing purposes?

GTPDAD

40.8 Up, 10.5 down, 7ms ping

No problems with internet dropout

No spare phone

We can't see the modem from the phone. It resets in a couple of seconds. We wouldn't reach the modem before the phone resets.  It is much faster than an internet dropout. It takes a good minute or so on the occasion we may need to do a modem reset, the phone though resets as soon as it drops out the call. 

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for letting me know, speed should certainly not be an issue.

It does sound like it maybe an issue with the phone handset itself.

I would recommend speaking with our nbn Team on 1800 834 273.

LeighT
Level 3: Gumshoe

I think there is probably a deeper problem here.

I have three T502 handsets (prior model to T503, but essentially the same) as my home phone solution to use with my NBN Telstra Technicolor modem gateway. These handsets pair directly with the gateway (DECT 2).

I have owned them for about one year. For the first several months they worked just fine but earlier this year (April-ish) they began to drop calls midway through a conversation. There would be a loud crackle noise, then silence, and the handset screen would say ‘searching for gateway’. About three seconds later, the screen would revert to its normal status and a new call could be made. The original call was lost, of course, by this stage, requiring a call back to resume the conversation that had been rudely and untimely interrupted.

This problem happens on all three handsets, and continues to this day. In all other respects the Telstra NBN gateway and wifi system work just fine.

This dropped-call problem is 100% reproducible if the call lasts more than a few minutes. The longest call I’ve had (once this problem began) without a dropout like this is around 30 minutes. It’s much more common to have it drop out in 5 to 15 minutes. It’s a pain.

Unwilling to put up with it, I am in the process of buying a multi-handset cordless phone system of another brand that has a base station that connects to the green physical phone socket on the modem. I’ll put the T502s away in a box, or flog them on eBay.

My experience sounds eerily similar to what is being described by others. It would be nice if Telstra fixed it. My sleuthing on crowd support and other sites suggests it is the result a firmware upgrade done to the NBN gateway earlier in the year. Opinions on here suggest that other problems accompanied that ‘upgrade’ too, and likely this dropping of calls on direct-paired DECT handsets is likely just part of those various problems.

I doubt that helps much, but maybe adds weight to encourage the Telstra engineers to own and solve the problem.

evanxm

Exact same issue here. I bought two of these handsets and am getting ready to just return them if there is no solution to this. Is there anything else recommended that I can try?

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now