CrowdSupport®
Kurgs
Level 2: Rookie

T Voice 503 and SmartGen2 Modem - lost connection & DECT 'searching' for base

I purchased (a week ago) 3 of the T Voice 503 DECT handsets for use with my SmartGen 2 (NBN) Modem 

I was able to register/pair the handsets without issue but within the first several days found on 3 occasions that the handsets had lost their connection and were n searching mode.

The only fix was to hard stop & start the modem by pulling the power.

Once the modem rebooted the handsets connected.

After the third time I rang support whose advice was to do a RESET on the modem.

This I did and within 12 hours the handsets had again lost connection and were back to searching.

I again rang support, they seem to have no view as to if this is a known issue or as to if there is an actual fix for same, their advice now, see if it happens again and if so we will try replacing the modem (which is about 7 months old, and has to date, worked without issue).

I note a number of posts in the forums that reference this problem, but absent power on/off of the modem I could not find any actual fix.

Is anyone aware as to if this is:

- a known issue?

- a problem for which there is a fix?

I also note that where previously the modem interface did have a 'phonebook' this is no longer the case. (Current FWv 18.1.c.0347-950-RC & Device Technicolor DJA0231).

- Does anyone know if this feature was removed from the client interface?

I still see it detailed in web screenshots of the interface but certainly not an option on the device. Only the 4 below:

Capture.JPG

The handsets will still accept and store BASE contact details; just cannot access via the MODEM interface.

I remember when I first set the modem up it did have a phonebook as below

Capture2.JPG

I am waiting for the next instance where I have to restart the device and will again contact support for a new modem. Just hoping there may be an actual fix for this (given customer support seem to have no knowledge of the issue).

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
43 REPLIES 43
Davo677

Re: T Voice 503 and SmartGen2 Modem - lost connection & DECT 'searching' for base

I’m seeing exactly the same problem, has been occurring for the past couple of weeks.

Ive found the same fix restart the modem sees it work for about 12 hours, nothing has changed in the house. I’ve even tried deregistering handsets but still not success.

a factory reset also provides no joy.

other members of family have also experienced same problem, I think it’s a firmware problem that Telstra haven’t identified as yet  but would be glad to see it solved sooner rather than later.

interestingly a handset not paired to the base works fine in the house

Support Team
Support Team

Re: T Voice 503 and SmartGen2 Modem - lost connection & DECT 'searching' for base

I'm sorry to hear you're both experiencing issues with your phone service. 

If no disruptions are listed here, my advice would be to login here & complete the troubleshooting as it may help fix any issues you're currently experiencing, but also helps speed up the fault process if you need to call our fault team on 1800 834 273. 

You should receive a reference number that can be quoted to our tech staff if the troubleshooting link doesn't resolve. If they're unable to resolve over the phone, they may monitor the connection or arrange a tech appointment. 

If the service is working correctly, they may suggest speaking with our Telstra Platinum team. 

They're available to help with devices, home tech & software. Please be aware that there's a cost involved for it however we’ll only charge you if we fix it. You can find more information about this service here 

Please let us know how you go.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Kurgs

Current fix: Telstra has replaced the SmartGen modem (as still under warranty).

The tech that attended also advised he had seen this issue previously and that sometimes a modem replacement has helped in resolving.

Fingers crossed that I am not 'searching' again tomorrow morning.

Shannon, in all fairness, whilst I appreciate the referral to Platinum this is not an issue with the how-to of pairing or even basic user knowledge, this is a recurring handset/modem issue where one or the other (likely the modem) is either disconnecting or dropping the handset session.

If there was an option to extract log files from the modem the cause might be clearer, but in reality, this would likely still only be resolved by either a firmware change on the modem or possibly SW on the handset(s).

Ultimately however unless the back of house support and product teams actually acknowledge the issue exists and look to actually identify, resolve and patch for same then most customers would be left with either; constant power resets of the modem (almost daily in my case) or refunding the handsets themselves and sourcing some other alternative.

Either scenario disappointing given Telstra provides for a DECT solution warrantied as fully compatible with their modems).

Anyway, fingers crossed this new modem resolves the issue. (Will try and remember to update the thread as Y/N).

Level 22: Superhuman

Started in error.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Kurgs

Ah well I had hopes. Made it a full 36 hours. Unfortunately around 7 this morning, handsets went back into searching mode (about an hour after a call was received) and have had had to restart the modem yet again.

Looks like I may just have to start turning it on and off every morning, in the hopes that I can get 24 hours of out each session.

Sigh..............

Support Team
Support Team

Oh no, I apologise this issue has returned this morning. If you wished to have this escalated submit a complaint online here https://tel.st/z2bbf and reply to me with the reference number. I will use it to contact complaints and have a case manager assigned to follow this up with you ASAP and see if there is any way around this issue. At the moment you should hear from a case manager within 5 business days to follow up. 

Thank you.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Mappy
Level 4: Private Eye

This seems to be a pretty widespread failure. I and many others have complained about it in various posts.

See https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/T-Voice-503-handsets-and-Telstra-Smart-modem-...

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Modems-Hardware/Smart-Modem-Gen-2-DECT/td-p/832430

My installation uses a Technicolor DJA0231 gateway paired with three Telstra T-Voice-503 DECT handsets.
Both the gateway and handsets are said to be compatible with the DECT specification CATiq 2.0. This implies that they should be inter-operable with other devices that meet the CATiq 2.0 specs.
Like you I've had the gateway for many months and initially there were no problems with the DECT 503 handsets.
It is only recently that the problem started. The dropouts occur at random intervals sometimes less than a day and at times they functioned normally for up to two days.
Complaints to Telstra call centre 1800 834 273 have proven to be pretty fruitless as you can't get through to a technician with DECT know-how. The best they can come up with is to have the 503 handsets checked out at a Telstra shop. For all three phone to fail in the same way at the same time would indeed be a rarity and very unlikely.
I've lodged a written complaint but it hasn't progressed very far. A tech person with an indian accent rang after a week and informed me that my modem wasn't compatible with the T-Voice-503. When I told her that the handset worked for a number of months without any issues and that many other users had the same problem. I was informed she would pass it on to a higher level and that she would get back to me.
So far after a week I've not had any feedback as yet.

Current Firmware version running in the gateway is 18.1c-0347-350-RC

Handset version is TelstraCATiqH6886 Checking the handset version and selecting upgrade, comes back with SW up to date.

I have no issues with my broadband internet connection nor with an analog phone connected to the ATA analog telephone adater (green port) on the gateway. Apart from the DECT problem I'm generally happy with the gateway's operation. Broadband connection is solid only reverted to 4G on a couple of occasions in eight months. WiFi performance is very good.

As I write this my 503 phones have been working for 3 days and 19 hours since the last reboot a record under current circumstances. I'm starting to be slightly optimistic that maybe Telstra has started to investigate this issue although I note the firmware version hasn't changed.

Lets hope if enough users complain it gets elevated to a higher level and something gets done.

Mappy

Mappy

Got my hopes up as the DECT handsets worked without fail for over six days.
But alas they went down again today with the same problem. Lost data synch.
This time instead of doing a reboot. I went in to the gateways (Web GUI) interface and selected.

Advance
Telephony
Paging Handsets

After some delay all the handsets started to ring, then when I stopped the handset ringing they started to data synch.
Then magically normal DECT operation was restored. No gateway reboot was necessary.

I also noted but don't know if this is related to this handset apparent data synch issue.
The handsets DECT master clock on all my phones seems to default to the handsets.
I can't seem to be able to make the base to become the synch master clock.
Each time I select the base and save the selection it reverts back to the handset.

Can anyone shed any light on this DECT data synchronization, should it ideally come from the base and not from each individual handset?

Mappy

Kurgs

I have logged a complaint/fault ref the above link (from RyanH) though I do have an open ticket with service (which I have included on that ticket).

I have continued trying other settings from the handsets (via the advanced menu) but unfortunately nothing seems to be helping. I am averaging a modem reset basically daily at the moment.

I will continue working on for the moment, though have also started looking at some of the 3rd party handsets that are available - though trying to identify options that  have their own base and do not require any specific pairing with the modem. (Will just mean using the existing analogue connections to provide the independent base with dial tone).

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Kurgs

Thanks for letting us know although I am sorry to hear you're continuing to experiencing trouble. .

I'm confident that the assigned case manager will do what they can to help assist you. 

With complaints, while you can expect contact as soon as possible, this does usually occur within 5 business days after they are raised. 

If for some reason you do not hear anything within this time & would like us to follow up with the team, to request contact on your behalf, please let us know & respond with your complaint reference number.These look similar to SR 1-XXXXXXXXXXXXX.

We appreciate your patience & apologise for any inconvenience in the meantime.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Mappy

Hi ShannonD  (Support Team)

Thanks for your response. My initial complaint dated 29/07/2019 reference number was SR1-2-141939653391.
After a week a Telstra person rang to discuss my issues with T503 handsets and DJA0231 Gateway.
She couldn't resolve the problem but advised me it would be raised to a higher level. Said she would get back to me indue course. That was two weeks ago haven't heard anymore since.  If you have any news on what is happening to resolve this issue please let us know.

Regards Mappy

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks @Mappy

From what I can see, the complaint is still open which means we are working on this but I do apologise for any concern if you haven't received further contact from a case manager. 

I've followed up with the team that is managing complaints to request contact on your behalf.

While you can expect contact as soon as possible, this does usually occur within 2 business days. 

If for some reason you haven't heard something by close of business Wednesday, please let me know here.

Kurgs

Som possible good news

i understand there is a firmware update scheduled that may address this. Fingers crossed it all works Smiley Happy

i have ave also Noted a number of instances where calls fail due to the handsets going into data sync (also likely associated with the searching/modem).

Anyways will let that firmware update hit and see how we go after that.

ken86c
Level 1: Cadet

Hi All,

Has there been any resolution to the issue above, i've had this problem for months and its very fustrating, i purchased 5 T-Voice 503's and they all have the same issue. It would be searching after 1-2 days max.

Cheers

pkloops
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have the same problem... Telstra sent me a new DECT phone, now I have two that are lost and forever "Searching" after half a day....  With some quick checking it reveals that the modem error logging also stops working ( no more new entries appear ) just before the Dect phones stop working...  looks to me like there is this a memory leak in the modem firmware, or that has it run out of space for the logs ?

Maybe some of you can verify this by checking the "Advanced view, Diagnostics, Modem logs", in the modem to see if they are updating or have frozen many hours ago (( tip about the time the DECT's stopped )) This problem is widespread and needs to ESCALATED to the Technicolor #1firmwarehoncho !

Good luck !

Mkrtich
Level 11: Detective

Moderators - seems like this problem comes up frequently in recent months. The TVoice 503 appears to be a very versatile phone and should synchronise well with Telstra CATiQ2.0 Gateways subject to the proximity of the phone to the Gen 2 modem. Much attention has been given towards the Gen 2 Modems as possible sources of the problem, with four firmware updates, which addressed other issues mainly, occurring to both models this year. Have there been any updates to the Software of the T503 itself so that it is also being kept up to date?

Not sure if these features are activated to work with Gen 2 Gateways, as there is a caveat in the T503 user guide which says subject to the Gateway, but the phone can advise the user if the Gateway is set for or can disable Eco Plus mode, setting ON saves the Gateway power, P33. If it is set to Eco Plus Mode as Default , it may explain why links are lost by people as they move around the home. 

Also the Phone can confirm the Firmware Version of the Gateway P34 - it would be interesting to know if it matches what the Modem is currently showing, if they don't , it implies the T503 may not be functioning correctly in terms of updating that feature. Phone software updates are supposed to also occur, P32, automatically as a push update, or notify users of availability and allow a manual update to occur - is this activated in the current version of the T503 to work with Gen 2 Modems?

pkloops

Thanks, interesting info...

This morning, I found the menu "Factory Reset" would not allow the phones to register at all.

The only way to re-register the 2 x T503 phones was to power cycle the modem...

pkloops

Phone reports the following versions:-

Base Version 18.1.c.0384-950-RB

Handset Version TelstraCATiqH6886

and any attempt to upgrade phone says SW Up to Date

Mkrtich

Proves integrity of the communications between the devices is working well. In the Phone Menu, is the Eco Plus feature for the Gateway showing as a possible setting? Next time the phones de-register, without turning off the modem, is it possible to pair them back through the 'Phone Device' Screen in the Gen 2 Modem (Arcadyan, not sure if same screen in Technicolor) - Pairing Handset/Start button. 

pkloops

Yes as I have two T503, as a test I have set one to ECO Plus off and the other to ECO Plus on...

Re-Pairing back through Phone Device Screen fails... Even though the modem screen keeps their respective registered handset numbers in the list, the phones report "Searching"...

Paging either handset via the Phone Device screen also fails...

My Modem is the Technicolor Gen 2

Level 24: Supreme Being

The handsets have to be deregistered from the modem before they will repair. To deregister the handset go to Advanced > Telephony > DECT, scroll down to bottom of page select all and click on unregister.

Technicolor_Modem_Deregister_Handset.JPG

I am surprised that your handsets are still disconnecting. Firmware  Version 18.1.c.0384-950-RB was supposed to have a fix for the DECT disconnection problem

Mkrtich

I am out of ideas for possible workarounds. You have the latest software in the Modem which may be two weeks old and that may have initiated the problem if it was stable before its release i.e. if you had the Modem for a while and only recently connected the new T503 phones. If it reaches a level of unbearable annoyance, as a temporary fix, an analog phone or cordless phone system can be connected to the Green phone socket whilst the problem is solved possibly in a future Modem firmware update.  

I am not sure how it works on the Technicolor and it may be different, but generally, a cordless phone system Eco Plus feature controls the base station output power and is set to ON or OFF in the phone display and relayed to all handsets which show the same status.The screen display is so that you know what state the base station is in, if it is ON, it reduces the coverage area of the base station. I don't think it is a setting for the handset itself, but I am not aware how Technicolor do it. 

pkloops

No mate, still broken...
And yes I do know how to un-register the phones via the modem.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Folks, 

If you haven't already done so I would suggest addressing this matter via our tech support channels, either via chat  https://tel.st/ryw92 or our premium support, more on that here https://tel.st/wbgbh

Let me know how you get on.

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

ken86c
Level 1: Cadet

Hi Angela,

I've tried the tech support channel before, they suggest a reset of the modem which would fix the issue for a day, but the problem still remains, so not sure it's a long term solution.

Thanks

Davo677

I’m still experiencing the same issue, however for some reason it stayed find for 17 days during the period without issue, in the past week I’ve had to restart the modem 3 times as it is losing the handsets every 2 days

im due for another as soon as this post is published as they have lost the base station again.

whats interesting it appears everyone who is experiencing this problem is on the Technicolor modem and it’s not just related to the 503 handset, I also have the previous version. Even de registering these handsets in combination individually Does Not solve the issue which is directly related to either the firmware or hardware.

This should be escalated to hardware engineers to find a solution , how many other customers are suffering in silence or more importantly are unaware they don’t have a functioning voice service and in the need of an emergency will be unable to raise the assistance of 000.

maybe unfortunately until a fatality occurs and the TIO investigate and find the cause being this problem a resolution will be made.

Firmware version  18.1.c.0384-950-RB , which started deployment at the end of last week is supposed to resolve this issue

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

@Yastiandrie 

There is at least one post we’re the problem is still occurring and the modem has firmware 18.1.c.0384-959-RB. See post by @pkloops 17th post in this thread.

pkloops

Possibly related, the modem event logging freezes, stops mid-sentence, and locks up...

within hours of this happening, then the DECT phones start "Searching"

see attached screen shot..

I took this screen shot at 8:30am this morning, surely there should have been events logged since 2:59am  ??

Event_Log_Freeze_5Sept19.jpgevent log freeze

Could be related. I'll see what I can do

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
pkloops

OK, this morning ( SAT ) both DECT phones disconnected sometime last night, modem had been running for 2 days 23hours 54min.

Strangely the Modem Diagnostics Error Logging started to work briefly as of

Sep 6 16:54:05 and froze again at Sep 6 17:09:23 ( worked for a whole 15 minutes )

It is still frozen today...

Tried un-register, re-register via the Telephony tab, no good. Phones saying "No Base"

Tried power cycling modem, no good

Tried Modem factory reset via Menu and was then able to use the Telephony Tab to register the 2 DECT phones.

Let's see how long they stay working...

It is SAT 09:42am

pkloops

Both Dect phones dropped connection sometime Monday night...

pkloops

As of 20/9/19 Telstra are now sending me 2 x replacement DECT phones...

Highlighted
Mappy

Hi pkloops

Looks like you scored yourself a couple more phones but I doubt it will solve the dropout problem. But keep us posted if you get lucky.

Since my gateway received the FW 18.1.c.0384-950-RB update the way the dropout occur have altered a bit. It is early days yet to get a handle on exactly what is happening now as the update has only been in place two days.
I have three DECT phones registered but now they don't all fail identically and at the same time like they used to.
One phone lost data synch and was searching whilst the other two phones remained synchronized. I don't think it was due to the phone being out of radio range as all phones were held together about 8 metres from the gateway.
When I tried to use the intercomm between phones the one which was searching started to data synch and then work. No reboot was necessary.

It is still my belief the gateway firmware is suspect. Anyway I decided to do a factory reset to see if that helps. Now it's again wait and see what eventuates.

In reference to one of your earlier post re diagnostic events log freezing. Mine behaves in the same manner.
When looking at the log via the gateway GUI it only shows a limited number of event. However if you choose to export the log, a notepad file is downloaded which has a whole stack of additional logged events. But you need to be a Linux and Openwrt expert to make any sense of it.

Mappy

pkloops

Hey Mappy,

Sure they sent me 2 ( actually 3, one base with 2 handsets and a separate single handset for some reason ???) they are Call Guardian 301 Mk11 handsets, great, but... they don't DECT WiFi connect directly to the NBN Technicolor Modem, they require that their own DECT base unit ( another powered device ) that plugs into the back of the NBN modem on the handset socket...  I think that says a lot !  Not good, also these new handsets have a ridiculous call barring feature, ( enabled by default out of the box, Mmmm.. makes me wonder... not good for the average non-tech user )

Presently I am using a T200 wired handset straight into the back of the modem, it works OK, but after a few days ( post each Modem power cycling )  I still get this ticking ( clicking ) sound in the wired phone. This tells me the Technicolor has issues with the phone line adaption it is trying to provide over NBN... Way more work needs to be done on this end user equipment !

I am still disappointed.

Mappy

Hi pkloops

Well I guess using a DECT stand alone phone set working through the ATA port is one way to solve your dropout problem.
I've gone a different way, acquired a Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 type DJA0231 ARCADYAN LH1000 instead of the Technicolor one.  Initially it came with FW version 0.07.05r installed but after a day or so of up time it updated to FW version 0.08.06r.
So far all three DECT T503 phones have not dropped out once in over four days. It is starting to look promising that the ARCADYAN modem performs better with T503 DECT phones. I realise the ARCADYAN LH1000 may possibly have other issues going by what some other users have posted. Could be the FW 0.08.6r update may have solved some of them. Fingers crossed in time the Technicolor FW will be updated with a fix as well, but in the meantime the ARCADYAN modem is working fine for me. I'll give it a couple of weeks of run time before I can say with any confidence problem solved.

Mappy

Davo677

since my modem updated to the new firmware , the problem is the handsets dropping but the modem consistently rebooting everyday , one way to keep the handsets connected.

Has anyone else been experiencing the same as it becoming exptremely frustrating , might need to look at the other brand modem if that is a positive solution

Shannongob

Hi everyone,

Yes, I too have this problem with 3 x Telstra T Voice 503 handsets and a Smart Modem Gen 2.0 (Technicolour variant) currently running 18.1.c.0384-950-RB - the problem also existed on the previous firmware of the Smart Modem Gen 2.0. On 12 August I logged a TER complaint after troubleshooting with Platinum Support staff and getting no satisfaction apart from "we'll send a new modem". Needless to say the problem continued to exist with no fix after swapping to another new out of the box Smart Modem Gen 2.0. After being case managed via the TER process and still not getting the problem fixed, I logged a complaint with the TIO which was referred back to Telstra. I then continued to undertake the same troubleshooting steps with no success for the sake of attempting to resolve the issue. I was provided a refund for the Smart Modem and handsets (I bought the equipment outright). I have since gone back to the TIO wanting to go to Conciliation. 

My main concern is that Telstra is pushing the Telstra T Voice 503 handsets for Priority Assist (PA) customers who have a Telstra supplied UPS as per https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/priority-assistance/uninterruptible-power-sup...

It's great that Telstra are offering UPS devices for PA customers however, I think the fact these handsets (or modems) don't stay paired makes this whole solution redundant.

The TIO have advised they are back logged and will eventually get to my complaint.

I encourage other customers to make similar complaints to the TIO and I am happy to provide my complaint reference number via private message in the hope the TIO might have some common sense and push Telstra harder knowing this is a widespread issue.

Shannongob

I've just been advised by the TIO that they have now raised a "systemic" complaint in relation to these pieces of hardware not working.

Kurgs

I have not had the issue reoccur since a firmware update a few weeks ago. Handsets have remained synced since that data without any loss of connection.

Kurgs

all fixed now - required a new firmware update to be released for the Smart Modem - appears there was some awareness of the problem (inside T) and a fix was in the works. Just unfortunate was not being advised to the support or other teams.

Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update; and your patience in the meantime. Glad to hear we've rolled out a fix. Please let us know if there's anything else you need. - Matthew. 

Shannongob

Great news Kurgs. 

What firmware versions are you using? My Smart Gen 2.0 (Technicolour) is 18.1.c.0384-950-RB and my T Voice 503 handsets are TelstraCATiqH6886.

Keen to get the problem fixed rather than complain so if I can get the firmware pushed to my hardware, my problem might be solved. 

Also, at one stage my handsets didn't do the "Searching" issue as originally described, they stayed connected but when I tried to make an outgoing call the handsets constantly said "System busy" or "Not available" and in both cases no incoming calls worked either. I assume your handsets continue to make/receive calls? 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now