CrowdSupport®
globe
Level 6: Bloodhound

T-Voice takes a long time to notify an incoming call

Answered

Hello,

We have the T-Voice app set up on an iPhone 7 and a Telstra Samsung Galaxy Core Prime, first with the Telstra Gateway Max, and now using the Telstra Gateway Max 2.

We also have our regular corded phone connected to the 1st green phone port on the Telstra Gateway Max 2 to use the Home Phone traditionally as a failsafe.

When a call is coming through to the Home Phone, our regular corded phone connected to the Gateway rings immediately, however neither smartphone with T-Voice on Wi-Fi notfies us about the call until 5 or 6 rings in (or never at all), which is too late to react to as the person calling would give up or go through to MessageBank.

Is there any way for the T-Voice app on our smartphones to react to the incoming call much faster, so we have a chance to answer it?

Using the latest versions of iOS and Android available, with the latest verion of the T-Voice app installed from the App Store or Google Play. Tried Factory Resetting the Gateway Max 2 and re-registering the T-Voice app on the smartphones, but nothing changed. Can make calls on the app successfully. I've also turned off Wi-Fi Assist on iOS and kept Wi-Fi on during sleep on Android.

☍ globe
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: T-Voice takes a long time to notify an incoming call

@globe, Therein lies our issue.

We have been using a test Firmware version that is not in production just yet.

We have connected another TG800 that is using the same Firmware version as you and we've been able to replicate the fault.

There is good and bad news:

The bad news first - There is no set time frame on this Firmware version being released.

The good news - It appears to resolve a problem with echo in the T-Voice App.

I do hope that this update is not far off for you.

- Matt

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
globe

My voice is echoed when speaking with T-Voice on iPhone

Hello,

I've noticed a small issue when using the T-Voice app on my iPhone where my voice is repeated through the speaker with a 1 second delay, more noticable when I begin the call and start to talk.

It does get disorienting at first, unsure if the person on the other end can also hear my voice being played twice or if it is just happening on my end. Interestingly, the further the call goes, my voice eventually 'fades' away and I no longer have the issue for the rest of the call.

Tried an iPhone 5s as well as the iPhone 7 on the latest version of iOS and the T-Voice app. Tried factory resetting my Telstra Gatrway Max 2 and re-registering the app to see if it did anything, but the issue still persists.

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

What you described regarding the delay between the home handset and the T-Voice app is normal. 

You can extend the ring time of your home phone to the maximum by dialling *99 55 #  OR * * 61 * 101 * * 30 # 

Regarding the echo, as a test, try using speaker phone to see if this makes a difference.  

- Shelly

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

globe

Thanks Shelly for responding.

As it is expected behaviour, I will extend the ring time and see how it goes.

Using speaker on the iPhone worsens the duration as the echo is constant and doesn't stop unless I stop making any noise or the caller stops making any noise.

☍ globe
globe

Update - After extending the ring time, the Android device is always detecting the incoming call after about five rings. However, my iPhone never notifies me and behaves like there is no incoming call. I do not know why, I have Notifications on (and to show on Lock Screen, Alert Style set to Alerts), Background App Refresh enabled, Wi-Fi is connected and can still use the T-Voice app fine.

Also with the echo issue, this does not occur on the Android device on both regular and speaker phone.

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi globe

I would suggest removing the app on the iPhone, restart the phone completely then install the app again and reconnect to the modem. See if that allows the notification to come through.

- AlistairQWA

Highlighted
globe

Thanks AlistairQWA,

Followed those steps, and still no luck.

Really strange, as it has worked in the past.

Edit: Checking the Telephony Call logs on the Gateway, it considers the call to be 'Incoming Missed' for my iPhone, so it seems that the Gateway is sending through the call to my iPhone, but it's the T-Voice app not responding to it anymore. Any ideas?

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

After reinstalling the app, have you checked the notification settings as you had done previously? - Shelly

globe

Thanks Shelly, yes I have checked notification settings again, all permissions, background refresh.

Even with the app open and ready on screen, I never recieve the call screen to accept or reject the call.

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We set up the Telstra Gateway Max 2 and paired the T-Voice app on an iPhone 7. 

We noticed that the notification didn't appear while an Apple watch was paired to the phone via bluetooth, but appeared fine once bluetooth was switched off. Do you have any devices paired to your phone?

- Shelly

globe

Thanks Shelly, I appreciate taking the time to test/recreate this.

Unfortuantely I have no devices paired to the phone, and I keep Bluetooth turned off.

Thinking about what else I could look at, I decided to 'Forget this Network' for my TelstraXXXXXX Wi-Fi network and reset my network settings in the iOS Settings, then reentered my Wi-Fi details on the iPhone, and then a call came through on the T-Voice app.

So, I gave the Gateway Max 2 and the two devices all a reboot (just to be really sure) and unplugged the regular corded phone from the green socket on the Gateway.

Home Phone calls are now coming through to both devices successfully. So that's resolved, just needed to remove the Wi-Fi network on the iPhone, reset network settings, and connect to the Wi-Fi network again. Not sure why that resolves it though.

With the echo issue, after testing again it is also experienced on the Android device, but the app can stop the echo quicker, so if I start speaking, I would only hear my first word. The louder the noise that the mic picks up, the louder the output when listening on the app. Is this something that may be looked into (have you experienced any issues with an 'echo' on your end)?

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Thanks for the update, I'm glad to hear that forgetting the network helped you to resolve the issue regarding the T-Voice alerts.

We didn't notice an echo when we were testing, however in the past we have found that some mobile phone cases can prevent the phone from properly cancelling background noise which will cause an echo. This happens if your case is blocking one of your noise cancelling microphones. 

If your phones are in a case, can you do some test calls without it to see if this makes any difference to your experience.

- Shelly

globe

Unfortunately taking the cases off did not make any difference.

The echo is only occuring with the T-Voice app, as using the regular phone app on iOS and Android never has an issue no matter the volume, loudness or using speaker.

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@globe

We're quickly running out of options, as we're not able to replicate an echo when testing here.
Purely out of curiosity, does this echo happen with all iPhones using the T-Voice app, or only 1 particular device?

- Matt

globe

Hi Matt,

The echo has also occured on an iPhone 5s previously, ever since I started using the T-Voice app early last year.

So I have experienced this on an:

• iPhone 5s
  • iPhone 7
  • Samsung Galaxy Core Prime (SM-G360G)
☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The Android App is a little different to the iOS app, and given that you've also changed your modem, There is only really 1 possible constant.

Both the Gateway Max and the Max 2 are dual band modems, supporting both 2.4 and 5Ghz Wi-Fi Networks.

Can I ask if you've tried swapping with Wi-Fi Network you're connecting to? Or even changing the Wi-Fi Channel?

Do you have Wi-Fi signal issues or throughput speed problems in your premises?

I should mention that the tests we've completed here were completed on the 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi Network. We've not yet tested this out with the 5Ghz Network, however we can arrange that if necessary.

- Matt

globe

Hi Matt (@DeltaSquad), thanks for your response.

We have Wi-Fi setup so we only use the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi and leave the 5GHz Wi-Fi radio and network disabled.

The Wi-Fi channel is set to 1 (and set to a 20Mhz channel width), as our neighbours (and Wi-Fi networks around us) are using channels 6 & 11.

Our coverage is very good around the home, the Gateway Max 2 is placed high up in the middle of the home and covers every room with great signal, no issues with that.

I was just using the app again to call Telstra, to go into a little more detail what happens I'll use this call to describe what happened:

• Entered 13 22 00, pressed Call
  • Rings, automated system starts talking, asks me to say a word or two
  • I then start saying the single word, I hear myself say the word through the speaker right after.
  • I get transferred, I am introduced to someone and I need to start speaking.
  • As soon as I start speaking, the entire first sentence is repeated to me with a 1 second delay through the speaker, so I am trying to continue speaking while hearing what I just said before as well (disorienting, trying to ignore the echo and talk at the same time).
  • The person on the other side isn't acknowledging any repeating/echos, continues the conversation and says something back to me.
  • I then start speaking again, and from then on the conversation is fine, no echo or repeats occur.
☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Very strange indeed.

We've thrown another few handsets at the issue and still can't replicate an echo, even with the initial connection of a call.

Are you able to confirm the Firmware version of your modem?

The version we're running is 16.3.7567-660-AB

You can check this after logging into your modem, then clicking on "Advanced", then "Gateway"

- Matt

globe

Yes, not sure why this is happening.

Mine seems to be different, my Firmware version is 16.1.6938-580-RC.

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@globe, Therein lies our issue.

We have been using a test Firmware version that is not in production just yet.

We have connected another TG800 that is using the same Firmware version as you and we've been able to replicate the fault.

There is good and bad news:

The bad news first - There is no set time frame on this Firmware version being released.

The good news - It appears to resolve a problem with echo in the T-Voice App.

I do hope that this update is not far off for you.

- Matt

View solution in original post

globe

Thanks Matt, that is really good news to know that not only have you been able to replicate it, but also that it has been addressed.

Looking forward to receiving the update at some point.

Out of curiosity, does this fault occur on the Telstra Gateway Frontier (with the current public Firmware release)?

☍ globe
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We're not able to see any issues with the Frontier and the T-Voice App.

I have a colleague who has one of these at home and is not advising of any issues with usability.

- Matt

globe

Thanks, that's great news to know.

I appreicate the support @Shellock@AlistairQWA and @DeltaSquad with helping me figure this out.

☍ globe
globe

A small update, I'm now on a Telstra Gateway Frontier and the echo is definitely handled a lot better (but still with a small amount only at the beginning). Interestingly the firmware version is 16.3.7413-660-RF which is still lower than your test version @DeltaSquad, however I continue to hope that the next firmware update will remove the echo altogether.

In the meantime, I've also setup a Telstra T-Voice® 503 Handset which works perfectly on both the Gateway Max 2 as well as the Gateway Frontier now, so it's a good workaround for the time being. It also immediately rings (quicker than the app) which also helps in case of the app not ringing or taking too long to notify.

☍ globe

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now