CCV1
Level 3: Gumshoe

Telstra T-Voice 503 not Ringing

Answered

Paired with a Sagecom F@st 5355 gateway. Does respond to Paging but not to Ring Test, from within gateway browser set up.

It hasn't been working for a while, but it appears that somehow it wasn't connected to gateway. It is connected (paired) now.

Btw.. I foolishly deleted "1" from Line Name which was "Line1". Now it is simply "Line". Would that make a difference? I don't think it did, but, anyway, I can't find any way to type "1" back in. It only types symbols.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
CCV1
Accepted Solution

Re: Telstra T-Voice 503 not Ringing

Resetting the gateway actually disconnected the wifi phone. That might explain something, since I have reset it multiple times in the past.

On the bright side, however, line name is restored to "Line1".

Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Sorry to hear that the Voice extender failed to do the Job.

The only two DECT phones that I know of from personal experience that will pair with the  gateway and the intercom function works is the Telstra 9200 (Which is no longer sold) and the Vtech 15250.

I checked the specs on the Uniden XDECT8355+1 and although it did not state it was a DECT 2.0 handset it did state that it operated on the 1.8 GHz band which is the band the DECT 2,0 phones operate on. DECT 6.0 phones operate on the 1.9 GHz band.

"1.8GHz Extended DECT Technology"

The phone sockets in the home can be used if connected to the phone port on the modem provided that they are isolated from the street lead in cable and if the NBN connect is DSL (FTTN/B/C) are also isolated from phone wall socket used for NBN connection.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15

I don't think be called Line instead of Line 1 would make a difference but you could restore original name by factory resetting the gateway the gateway. To reset the gateway press the reset button located until gateway begins to reboot. The reset button is located below the power button and is labeled R.

CCV1

Oh.. Never mind.
It now does ring on an actual incoming call.
CCV1

Thanks @cf4.
I'll give it a shot, although the line name change was on the handset only.

An entirely unrelated question:
Is it possible to switch phones? I mean, ever since the NBN came in, I can't now pick up one phone in one room and still be able to take the same call on the other phone in another room.
My other phone is a Uniden FP 1200, wired to the gateway.

If both phones were paired to DECT base could switch calls between handset and call the other handset from the other handsets but you can't switch a call between a wired handset and and a DECT connected handset.  

CCV1
Accepted Solution

Resetting the gateway actually disconnected the wifi phone. That might explain something, since I have reset it multiple times in the past.

On the bright side, however, line name is restored to "Line1".

CCV1

So...
I need a DECT phone with a normal sized number pad (or, preferably larger) and with an easy to use speaker capability. Any thoughts?
My fingers don't work so well, and the newer handsets don't suit me at all.

I have seen some large button cordless phones but they all used DECT 6.0. The Telstra gateways use DECT 2.0 so if you find a cordless phone handset with large buttons make sure it uses DECT 2.0.

Highlighted
CCV1

Thank you.

Instead of getting another DECT 2.0 handset you might be interested in using a voice extender. These cost $48 and are available from Telstra. They pair with the gateway, are  plugged into a spare 240V power outlet and a normal phone plugs into the RJ12 socket.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/How-to-add-a-voice-extender-to-your-nbn-connection-...

CCV1

Sounds interesting.

I can't find them available anywhere tho..

CCV1

I can't find a cordless phone with normal-large size buttons that isn't DECT 6 either, @cf4.

Ok, so.. For the voice extender:
1800 676 442 (Handset Sales) didn't know what I was talking about, but she switched me to the billing department and that got it.

$48 + near enough to $10 for delivery. That's express though, by the sound of estimated delivery date.

I rang the local Telstra shop first. He seemed to know what I meant, but didn't have any. Said I should call 13 2200, or some similar number. I don't recall exactly.

Cheers, and thank you.

CCV1

@cf4 wrote:

Instead of getting another DECT 2.0 handset you might be interested in using a voice extender.

Thanks, but it's not doing the job I wanted.

The Gateway 'sees' both phones as DECT now, but I still can't use both phones on the same call.

Paging, via the gateway, still works only for the actual DECT phone, and the Intercom function on that phone, while it does recognise the other handset, only produces a kind of "busy" signal.

On page 18 of the T-Voice 503 user manual it mentions an option to transfer calls from one handset to another. I couldn't find it. Anyway, I suspect it won't work if intercom doesn't. Besides, I usually pick up the other phone first and that doesn't have the same function(s).

Is there any way to get a DECT phone to work together with the Voice Extender?

The only other suitable option I can find is a Uniden XDECT8355+1 - assuming "XDECT" is compatible with the Telstra gateway and, hopefully, with the T-Voice. I can't find anything to say that it might be CAT-iq_2_0 compliant.

From Technical Support, in another thread:

The phones do not need to be paired directly to the modem to work on NBN. Customers can continue to use the phone sockets in their home if they connect a cable from the phone port on the modem into one of the sockets. This will activate the other telephone sockets in the home.

I wonder....

Accepted Solution

Sorry to hear that the Voice extender failed to do the Job.

The only two DECT phones that I know of from personal experience that will pair with the  gateway and the intercom function works is the Telstra 9200 (Which is no longer sold) and the Vtech 15250.

I checked the specs on the Uniden XDECT8355+1 and although it did not state it was a DECT 2.0 handset it did state that it operated on the 1.8 GHz band which is the band the DECT 2,0 phones operate on. DECT 6.0 phones operate on the 1.9 GHz band.

"1.8GHz Extended DECT Technology"

The phone sockets in the home can be used if connected to the phone port on the modem provided that they are isolated from the street lead in cable and if the NBN connect is DSL (FTTN/B/C) are also isolated from phone wall socket used for NBN connection.

CCV1

Thank you for checking out the tech specs on the Uniden, @cf4.

I couldn't find what I wanted to know and, as it turns out, wouldn't even have recognised the relevant specs without your explanation.

We have FTTN connection here. I think I would need a technician to figure out exactly how to rig the wiring. As it is, the socket I use for the gateway is on an extension from one of the original phone lines. Might be nice, but I think hardly worth the bother.

All your help is much appreciated. Cheers.

CCV1

Hello again @cf4,

The Uniden XDECT8355 Base requires a "normal" (wired) phone socket for connection. It connects wirelessly only to the handset(s). In such a case, I wonder if DECT specs are of any importance. If it used a wireless connection to the gateway, then, yes, I can see it would need to be a compatible technology. For future reference, I think it might be a good move to check out the owner's manual for any such item beforehand. I can see now it says in there "1.8GHz Extended DECT Technology", but, again, without your input that would be meaningless to me.

The T-Voice doesn't seem to be able to paired with it, as far as I can find anyway. It is otherwise suitable for my needs. Operating the phonebook is a bit too fiddly (for me), but, once numbers are entered, the speed dial function is most convenient. As far as I've tested it, both intercom and transfer call work fine. Haven't set up bluetooth yet, but, with that, I imagine a mobile (within range) would be something equivalent to another handset... Pretty happy with it, all in all.

Many thanks again.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now